Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

I finally got round to playing the piano I got yesterday. YouTube channels have been excellent. Picked this up already. It's not perfect but I've really enjoyed playing it. 

Well done, you’re learning quickly which is a great sign. The most positive thing about it is your timing and the transition between chords and notes. Well done.

Frankie that’s mint

I'm not sure about the political side of things, but there have been riots after teams have lost - the then-Oakland Raiders rioted after they lost the SuperBowl a few years back (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1420338/Oakland-in-flames-as-Raiders-fans-run-riot.html)

I don't think they arrange meetings like the hooligans in Europe do, but there are instances of one teams fans attacking another. They tend to be much smaller scale than in Europe, or groups attacking one or two people.

• Paid Members

Only other thing I ever heard of in North America about sport-related riots was a couple of years ago, when Vancouver Canucks fans rioted. I think they'd just lost the Stanley Cup.

• Paid Members
Just now, Carbomb said:

Only other thing I ever heard of in North America about sport-related riots was a couple of years ago, when Vancouver Canucks fans rioted. I think they'd just lost the Stanley Cup.

I lived in Vancouver at the time, I walked right through the riots on my way home from a party, it was nuts, burning cars and all sorts. They're really into their hockey there. (They're, Their and There in a 6 word sentence)

• Paid Members

Used to be loads of pics on the internet of Hockey fights in the crowd years ago. It kicked off in Pittsburgh last night before they played the Vikings but I think that was a one off. Often talk of fights in the crowd during WWF events in the late 90s.

I think hooliganism is a social thing not a sports thing. Not sure the Yanks need the outlet.

• Paid Members

Could it also be that it's often much further to travel between cities, so you don't get as much of people going to away games? And it's also rarer to have multiple teams in the same city, so following a team is as much an allegiance to your city rather than having your identity be tied up with the club itself.

• Paid Members

With the exceptions of the top three most populous cities (NY, LA and Chicago), I'd say that sounds about right. And even with those three cities, which tend to usually have two teams for each of the Big Four sports, they play in different conferences, so local rivalries will only be more likely to occur in the event of their respective sport's big final (if I've got the structure of US sports seasons right).

Boston and New York often have rucks, regardless of the sport.  New Yoikers say it's because Boston hate not being as important, it's kind of the England Scotland thing.

Regarding the two teams per city, they tend to not have the hatred.  Take Chicago. The White Sox and the Cubs have a rivalry but both sets of fans are Bears fans and Chicago is an NFL city more than anything else despite them having champions in all the other big four sports.  Over here, football fans tend to be football fans and football fans only.  Although it shouldn't need pointing out, it's not football that makes them violent.

Archived