Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, Steve Justice said:

Yes. Plenty of hdmi ports, just no internet capabilities. 

As long as you have wifi in the house you should be able to achieve the casting with a Chromecast. Windows 10 should cast to the Chromecast. The Chromecast will then output to the TV via the HDMI port. I do similar with a non smart tv at home. Although, I usually cast from a smart phone or tablet.

• Paid Members

This is a massive longshot but I've come across references recently to an algorithm in use in the Netherlands that rewrites news stories with simplier language, for children. Don't suppose anyone here has heard of that and can point me in the direction of some information about it? My Googling is getting me nowhere. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

This is a massive longshot but I've come across references recently to an algorithm in use in the Netherlands that rewrites news stories with simplier language, for children. Don't suppose anyone here has heard of that and can point me in the direction of some information about it? My Googling is getting me nowhere. 

I  don't know whether this is exactlywhat you're after,  but it's a PDF about simplifying language in subtitles. I'd guess a similar principle  can apply to news articles as well.

https://www.clips.uantwerpen.be/~walter/papers/2004/dhs04.pdf There are a few similar items in the search I had a quick Google of.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I  don't know whether this is exactlywhat you're after,  but it's a PDF about simplifying language in subtitles. I'd guess a similar principle  can apply to news articles as well.

https://www.clips.uantwerpen.be/~walter/papers/2004/dhs04.pdf There are a few similar items in the search I had a quick Google of.

Thanks, Jazzy Geoff. This is interesting in any case (I used to be a television subtitler), but what I'm trying to find is where this algorithm in the Netherlands came from and whether I might be able to use it myself for a platform I've developing. The information I've found is that the algorithm is used by a children's newswire in Holland. It's a sort of journalism bot (good article on this here, if you're interested.)

• Paid Members

I see what you mean. A lot of searches for news algorithms tend to lead to services to turn news stories into potential stock options. Not quite what you're looking for.

• Paid Members

So, I need to re-fill my boiler with the filling loop. Trouble is, the caps on both valves are on incredibly tight and my spanners just slip around and don't help at all. It was freezing in my flat. Anyone have any ideas as to how I might get the caps off?

• Paid Members

@SpursRiot2012

WD-40 may help to loosen the valves up. It's strange that you're having to use spanners. If you can. Post a picture of your filling loop valves. They seem to be pretty unique. I've only ever come across ones that have an easy to turn tap system.

Is your filling loop permanently fitted?

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, BigJag said:

@SpursRiot2012

WD-40 may help to loosen the valves up. It's strange that you're having to use spanners. If you can. Post a picture of your filling loop valves. They seem to be pretty unique. I've only ever come across ones that have an easy to turn tap system.

Is your filling loop permanently fitted?

I was able to get the top one off by coating it in some random oil I had around but the second one doesn't want to budge. Then I need to connect the external filling loop and turn the taps. 

20180206_194503.jpg

20180206_194506.jpg

• Paid Members

Ok. A good soak in WD-40 will help. Or you could lightly toast it with a gas torch. It would help to loosen the cap. I'm guessing you don't have a monkey wrench or mole grips. They would make your task easier. You're going to need to apply some leverage with a good monkey wrench/mole grips. Be careful that you don't rip out the pipe work.

Monkey wrench pic

https://goo.gl/images/AvVuab

• Paid Members

Is there a decent, cheap alternative to Aftershaves and Eau de toilettes? They're mainly expensive because of marketing right? I ran out of the scents my ex's mum got me, I don't want to wear Umbro perfume from poundland and I'm not really in a position to spend £45 on a bottle of Million but I want to smell nice.

Archived