Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, chokeout said:

Sounds like updates, restore points or temp files are being saved onto the SSD. Find your temp files and see how big they are. 

Me again. So, it's the Windows log files that are taking up all the space. This was a known issue with Windows 7 (I'm running Windows 10) and something to do with TrustedInstaller. There is a Windows 7 fix that includes disabling the Windows Module Installer service, but for some reason I can't stop the service. The option to do so is greyed out in Services. I also can't just delete the log files either. Very frustrating. These two log files (CbsPersist_20180126161611.log and CBS.log) are taking up 196GB of space!

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one, Steak, that's excellent!  I have been sober since mid November and I don't even think of the old routine any more. Sure, there are days and moments, but I take stock of where I am and what I have, and remember how I was in hospital last year after trying to top myself. 

• Paid Members

For those of you with other halves, a questions about yours and their parents..

How do they get on? Are they similar in behaviour etc?

Mine and my wife’s don’t see each other that often but make the effort to get along with each other, no negative vibes at all.

All 4 of them are bloody wonderful people and I personally get on well with them all too, which is great, but they couldn’t be any different from each other.

My folks have got a bit of a Jim and babs from the royal family vibe, spliced with John Candy and Jo Brand. In terms of behaviour and general craic.

Where as my wife’s dad is is a mix of Clark Griswalk and Ned Flanders and her mum is basically Mrs Doyle and any librarian over 50.

They probably think that each other’s ‘ways’ are odd, but like I say, always make the effort.

(side note - her parents are devout Christians). One Christmas her dad walked downstairs ‘poorly’ playing good king wenceslas on the flute “come on gang” he shouted and handed all 12 people a kazoo.

2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

One Christmas her dad walked downstairs ‘poorly’ playing good king wenceslas on the flute “come on gang” he shouted and handed all 12 people a kazoo.

How many stitches?

• Awards Moderator

I want to lease a car. When I compare the companies I can't see anything to choose between them for the car I want. Does anyone have any advice what to look out for or companies they recommend?

• Paid Members

@Onyx2

What car are you after? And will you be prepared to take a smaller engine? Cheaper deals if you do.

We have one (2016 polo) and the first year with free insurance.

Its for 4 years and at the end we can either buy the car from them for its value at the time. We can end the contract at that point. Or we can agree new terms with that car, or a new car.

We’ve had a bump, nothing major but a visible passenger door dent. I’m expecting them to be absolute twats when we hand it in. Pretty much every contract I’ve seen expects you to some how hand the car back in pretty much pristine condition, or charges will be implemented to sort out any issues/dints/scratches etc.

No bother so far but like I say, the handing back is the bit I’m concerned about.

You can pay additional for services, but we did get breakdown cover in our deal.

In a nutshell you pick your car, engine size, cover etc, and each deal depending on what you want thrown in, has a different monthly fee.

• Paid Members

Aye, but I’ve also heard that wear and tear is ambiguous as fuck. Exterior dints and scuffs aren’t covered (from what I’ve been told) so I’m concerned. 

If they don’t deem it to be to their expectations, they simply charge you for anything that needs replacing.

I truly hope I’m wrong, but based on someone else’s experience, I’m not confident.

I supppse it shows that different dealerships will have different policies. If nothing else this is something to check with them Onyx

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

@Onyx2

Useful stuff

I'm currently on a lease deal so I know the ins and outs, but it's arranged through my employer so it's really straightforward. I'm changing jobs so I need to go private. I actually want exactly the same deal but it's more a recommendation of a reputable leasing company I'm after. 

Luckily I do want a tiny fuel efficient car. 

I don't really know anything about the NBA but I was thinking it might be good to see The Knicks at MSG when i'm in NYC in April but noticed they are playing 3 matches in 4 days so I wondered if that will hurt the quality since presumably they won't have all the best players play that frequently? Does anyone who knows about NBA think that the match against Miami heat, Bucks or the Cavaliers would be the best one to go to? Thanks

Archived