Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

It’s difficult to express, because there’s a hell of a lot I struggle with regarding the US, and whilst I’ll never understand patriotism, I truly believe that the American concept of ‘one nation’ and allegiance to the flag is arguably the only reason there hasn’t been a mass all out civil war in the past 60 years. There’s race and political tensions, which occasionally overspill in to conflict, but not war. Even Americans who dare to upset this ideology, are usually rebranded as ‘them’, therefore un-Americanised. When you think of the sheer cultural differences, wealth, religion and political stance in that insanely massive piece of land, it’s astounding the country still functions. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Maybe it's one of those weird psychological things to subliminally encourage you to cut down, like making it look like a block that you might look at and say "that's all I'm gonna smoke for today". Or you smoke one block, open up for another tab, see the second block and think "Wow, I smoked that much already?"

No real idea, but there are always these sorts of things going on with packaging and advertising and whatnot.

Yeah, I thought that but then wondered if it was the opposite, and it's something the tobacco companies are trying to do to get around the stricter rules. Not sure what it's achieving though, so you're probably right. Marlboro gave out some nice metal tins before the branded packaging was banned, the idea being you'd use the tin to put your cigs in and still have your cigs in what looked like a branded Marlboro pack. I think Amber Leaf did similar tins as well. I've never considered smoking so stupid as I have while typing this. 

• Paid Members

Little PC help needed.

I have a 250gb SSD and a 1tb HDD installed in my PC build. I recently reformatted and keep only a few programs on the SSD (utilities and such that I use regularly), as well as Windows being installed on the SSD. I install all my games, for example, on the HDD. Anyway, today I booted the PC and my SSD is showing zero free space and I'm getting constant warnings about running out of space. I ran Glary Utilities disk space checker, and it appears that Windows is taking up over 80% of the SSD. That wasn't the case a couple of days ago. Does anyone know what might be causing it and how to rectify it and get my space back? Thanks.

Anyone struggling to run videos on anything except Youtube?

Bit of a problem recently with trying to play videos on my laptop in terms of frequent buffering and freezing. Pretty much happening on any platform that isn't Youtube, so stuff like Facebook, Twitch, Twitter etc are all being a massive hassle. I'm using Google Chrome if this makes any difference!

I posted in here over Christmas while I was in the middle of a drinking spree, and some of you were kind enough to answer some questions and offer advice. Just wanted to say I've not had a single drop in two weeks now, something I really couldn't imagine a few weeks ago. Still early days, but I've achieved so much over the past couple of weeks that it honestly feels like months and months ago. Got a great support network and I'm beginning to enjoy stuff I haven't in a long time. Business is going well and I get the keys to a fantastic new place on Monday. My inbox is always open if anyone else is having any issues with the drink and wants to get anything off your minds. 

• Awards Moderator

That's great to read, Steak. You've overcome some massive hurdles and long may it continue. I'm struggling with the same thing myself but seeing the progress you've made, along with others on here in a similar boat, is a real motivation to follow suit. Good on you.

Archived