Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Thanks for that, Kaz. I was worried that I was missing something; as a layman, I don't know what standard practices are, and I don't want to risk that I'm being unreasonable. Obviously I'd like to get as much info and as many opinions as possible.

No problem but see Johns post above, he works much more in that specific industry than I do and knows his stuff. My post is from the point of view of a customer and also someone who makes music/adverts for money. Much like a Graphic designer will make you graphics, I make audio. You couldn’t get away with simply providing a customer with a royalty free piece of music that can easily be found via an online database (that you haven’t made), I assumed the same for any creative media.

John makes great points above though and knows the industry well. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
6 hours ago, John Matrix said:

Alright fellas?  It's not unheard of mate, those free resources exist for a reason, but of course, i'd expect that to be reflected in whatever price you'd been quoted.  

See below...

https://www.shutterstock.com/search?search_source=base_landing_page&language=en&searchterm=mma+logo&image_type=all

Now admittedly, those are paid for rather than free, but the point remains the same, if you were happy/content with a personalised 'stock' logo, its less time and effort to adapt the colours and text on something like that, labour costs are significantly reduced - as I always say to my customers, every minute im working on graphics is a minute less spent with my kids or getting sleep - and so subject to what you've been quoted, it's not uncommon, although i'd expect any designer worth their salt to be upfront with you and confirm that their design was a modified stock logo.

If however, you want something completely bespoke and creating from scratch, of course, it'd come at a much higher cost due to the concepts, development etc involved.

In my experience, many graphic designers on my rung of the food chain will tend to opt for the former initially because we're working on high volume, low margin projects just trying to make a few quid.  A few weeks spent designing custom logos can mean other business falling by the wayside, especially in something as ruthless as the wrestling business where theres a) stiff competition and b) plenty of people willing to work for free in order to be 'part of the business'.

I don't know if that's answered your question in the slightest, but I hope it's helpful.

Sorry, John - somehow missed your reply when I replied to Kaz. Thanks for that; the main reason why I asked is that I have reason to believe the designer I've employed is phoning it in. One of the designs he submitted was literally a re-coloured version of a resource I found online. I'm paying his asking price here, and he's submitted a number of logos (including that one) that don't feel like he's even tried, they're that basic and off-point. But then I'm also aware that I'm a layman and therefore might be missing the subtleties of this business.

• Paid Members

If he’s submitted a number of logos is this still at the brainstorming stage? He might just be showing examples of what you could go for without putting too much effort into something you’re not going for at all.

Usually I will look at a brief, throw together a few examples (I usually go with 4-6) that are rough and ready. Try different colours, different fonts, etc. and maybe even just totally rip a design from Google and ask if that’s the sort of style they want. The client might then say they like the colour palette of option 1, the font from option 2 but the layout of option 3 so discard option 4 completely. Then I will go away and actually bring in more of the design element. I won’t finalise everything (e.g. spend time clipping images or buying/creating an entirely new font) until the design has been signed off.

If you’ve been given then final version that’s just ripped and recoloured then you need to have a word.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Monkee said:

If he’s submitted a number of logos is this still at the brainstorming stage? He might just be showing examples of what you could go for without putting too much effort into something you’re not going for at all.

Usually I will look at a brief, throw together a few examples (I usually go with 4-6) that are rough and ready. Try different colours, different fonts, etc. and maybe even just totally rip a design from Google and ask if that’s the sort of style they want. The client might then say they like the colour palette of option 1, the font from option 2 but the layout of option 3 so discard option 4 completely. Then I will go away and actually bring in more of the design element. I won’t finalise everything (e.g. spend time clipping images or buying/creating an entirely new font) until the design has been signed off.

If you’ve been given then final version that’s just ripped and recoloured then you need to have a word.

What she said!

• Paid Members

On the subject of graphics, anyone on here with experience of using a graphics tablet? This sort of thing...

ctl490w_galleryimage_1_600x600_emea.jpg?

They seem to start from as little as £50 and was thinking of taking a punt to see how I got on, but can't really get my head around what they do, how they work, can you draw directly into things like photoshop and illustrator or do they have their own software, and if so, does it export images into the usual formats? .eps .jpg etc?  Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

It maps it to the screen so the movement of the pen on the tablet matches the cursor on screen. Takes a bit of getting used to but a pretty useful tool, especially for £50. EDIT - is that one of the screens you draw on as well? Looks like an ordinaryish tablet to me, in which case it works like a mouse but over a mapped area, as I described above. You'll need drivers to get it work (wacom works on Windows/Mac/Linux if you're feeling fruity) but they're easy to sort out.

• Paid Members

Is that the Wacom Intuos tablet? If so, I know that it is indeed compatible with photoshop as some of my students use it.

Also, there are some basic ‘how to’ pieces on the adobe site regarding changing brush size etc when running photoshop with a graphics tablet.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

On the subject of graphics, anyone on here with experience of using a graphics tablet? This sort of thing...

They seem to start from as little as £50 and was thinking of taking a punt to see how I got on, but can't really get my head around what they do, how they work, can you draw directly into things like photoshop and illustrator or do they have their own software, and if so, does it export images into the usual formats? .eps .jpg etc?  Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I have one at home and a smaller one,pretty sure its that model actually, at work.

Depending on where you get it from you can get Corel Paint and some other programmes free with it.

I use mine a lot for photo touch ups and sketching but....... and its a big but, i can draw with a mouse. If you've never used one your eye instinctively looks at your hand and you need to ignore that and look at the screen and it'll take a while to get used to the new hand/eye coordination .

They are amazing for editing images in Photoshop because you can set them to pressure sensitive, like a real pen so blending becomes amazingly simple and you'll get far better results. Windows and Mac have built in recognition of them so they should just be plug and play and you're off on any software you usually use.

• Paid Members

Any of you good people have any experience of travelling into Greece(or more specifically Santorini) with controlled prescription drugs?

I'm travelling to Santorini for a wedding in May, and being disabled I will need to take some controlled prescription drugs with me(Morphene/MST) and the recent case of that bird that took Tramadol into Egypt has scared me shitless. 

The travel agency says that I just need a signed letter from my doctor, but I don't want to risk having them took off me in the airport as I would be in a right state for the week.

So what I'm asking I suppose is, is the travel agents right or are they going to get me banged up in Greece?  

• Paid Members

The letter should cover you. I have to take Subutex whenever I go away and my prescribing nurse usually writes me a letter saying how much I've got on me and with details of who they can contact if there's any issue.

Not that I've ever been stopped or had to show the letter.

• Paid Members

Thanks for all your responses guys!

On 1/5/2018 at 4:13 PM, hallicks said:

It maps it to the screen so the movement of the pen on the tablet matches the cursor on screen. Takes a bit of getting used to but a pretty useful tool, especially for £50. EDIT - is that one of the screens you draw on as well? Looks like an ordinaryish tablet to me, in which case it works like a mouse but over a mapped area, as I described above. You'll need drivers to get it work (wacom works on Windows/Mac/Linux if you're feeling fruity) but they're easy to sort out.

So the one pictured isn't an 'on screen' one - I have seen those, but a little (VERY) out of my price range at this stage.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:20 PM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Is that the Wacom Intuos tablet? If so, I know that it is indeed compatible with photoshop as some of my students use it.

Also, there are some basic ‘how to’ pieces on the adobe site regarding changing brush size etc when running photoshop with a graphics tablet.

It is chief.  Thank you.  I had a good look around before posting here, but there was a real lack of clarity over compatibility with the main reference being its only software.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:21 PM, chokeout said:

I have one at home and a smaller one,pretty sure its that model actually, at work.

Depending on where you get it from you can get Corel Paint and some other programmes free with it.

I use mine a lot for photo touch ups and sketching but....... and its a big but, i can draw with a mouse. If you've never used one your eye instinctively looks at your hand and you need to ignore that and look at the screen and it'll take a while to get used to the new hand/eye coordination .

They are amazing for editing images in Photoshop because you can set them to pressure sensitive, like a real pen so blending becomes amazingly simple and you'll get far better results. Windows and Mac have built in recognition of them so they should just be plug and play and you're off on any software you usually use.

I had more illustrations in mind, but suspect that's because I completely overlooked retouching etc in terms of what it might be used for.

I guess what i'd really like to do is draw something free hand, even if in it's own software, and export to photoshop/illustrator so I can do other things with it afterwards.  Still not entirely sure if thats possible, but very tempted to take a punt.

Archived