Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

I got this piano for free yesterday (great result). It went through quite a bit of moving and tipping to get it from point A to B. Amazingly it sounds pretty in tune considering. However, two keys are needing to be hit quite hard to get sound out of them. I've done a bit of investigating and can see that the hammers are moving, but not far enough to hit the strings. I've done a bit of Googling to see if I can find a solution, but nothing is really coming up. 

Anyone familiar with this sort of thing that can help me out? 

2rpxsll.jpg

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, hallicks said:

How'd you get a free piano? I got one off freecycle about 10 years ago and I feel like 2 free pianos in 1 lifetime is a bit unlikely 

Gumtree is full of people giving pianos away, so long as you collect them.

Probably because digital pianos are now good enough that they're an alternative rather than a compromise.

• Paid Members

Can one of you brainboxes help me on Excel please!

I have a very detailed monthly P&L in columns, so Jan, Feb, Mar etc on one worksheet

I then have another worksheet with summary cells, which just has sales, gross profit, net profit etc

I want to be able to set the second worksheet up so that I just, for example, type January somewhere, and it then automatically fills the summary cells with January numbers which it has pulled from the detailed P&L on the first worksheet. Then if I type March it automatically populates the summary fields with March numbers. And so on.

I know its possible as I saw it at my old place but I can't figure it out now :(

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, waters44 said:

I have a very detailed monthly P&L in columns, so Jan, Feb, Mar etc on one worksheet

I then have another worksheet with summary cells, which just has sales, gross profit, net profit etc

I want to be able to set the second worksheet up so that I just, for example, type January somewhere, and it then automatically fills the summary cells with January numbers which it has pulled from the detailed P&L on the first worksheet. Then if I type March it automatically populates the summary fields with March numbers. And so on.

I know its possible as I saw it at my old place but I can't figure it out now :(

Not sure if it's what you mean but you can name a cell. If you select any cell, it's name appears in the top left e.g. "B2". You can overtype that with an identifier, e.g. "Fred".

If you then on another worksheet type "=Fred" in a cell, it will show the value.

• Paid Members

@waters44 I think you’re going to need an IF function because what you put in the original cell would determine what’s shown in the rest of the column. So, for example, if on Sheet 1 Jan is A1 with sales below, A2 is Feb with sales below, etc. your formula on Sheet 2 would be something along the lines of IF A1 on Sheet 2 = Jan then the rest of the column would = A2:A1000 on Sheet 1. IF A1 on Sheet 2 = Feb then the rest of the column would = B2:B1000 on Sheet 1, etc.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

It's got VLOOKUP written all over it. 

Difficult to explain without seeing your data, but here's a good start:

https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2014/07/17/excel-vlookup-tutorial-beginner/

You have your source data - your P&L - then on your other sheet it "looks up" the word "January" and retrieves it from the other sheet based on which column you want to return. 

Screenshot it if you can (you can obscure the actual numbers) and I'll try and be more specific. 

Archived