Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Do we have anyone jewish or knowledgeable on Judaism on here to answer some questions? 

Maybe, I’m not Jewish but lived in a highly populated Jewish area, neighbors were Jewish and sold my house to a young Jewish family... so if it fits within the parameters of ‘living amongst’ or ‘selling them property’, there’s a small chance.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Maybe, I’m not Jewish but lived in a highly populated Jewish area, neighbors were Jewish and sold my house to a young Jewish family... so if it fits within the parameters of ‘living amongst’ or ‘selling them property’, there’s a small chance.

I'm interested in learning more about it and getting a bit more involved, see if it fits me. I've never been big on religion before and so have no idea how you go about it. 

• Paid Members

Not Jewish, but went to a school where nearly half the population was Jewish, got a lot of Jewish friends who taught me bits and bobs about the religion, and a few Hebrew phrases.

From what I understand, converting to Judaism requires a lot of hard work and study. You have to learn the texts inside and out (not just the Torah/TeNakh, but the Talmud too), you have to learn various forms of Hebrew, both written and spoken, and there are a fair number of rituals to get through too.

That said, apparently converts are considered amongst "the highest", because of how much effort they put into conversion. 

• Paid Members

Well for a start the nearest synagogue is a drive into Birmingham, but they have 3 (progressive, Hebrew and central) and I'm not sure what the difference is and which is more open to people like me. 

I'm also not sure how you open the conversation, I don't want to cause offence or interrupt anything important just going over, but it's not the sort of thing you book an appointment for is it.

Is it expected I have a lot of knowledge, and if so what are good resources, before I talk with someone or are they comfortable with the 'pitch' as it were. 

• Paid Members

It’s really interesting this Tommy. Please let us know how you get on. I’m not a religious person and highly doubt I ever will be unless something happened that ‘awoke’ me so to speak.

I went to college with a couple of people who went on to become Buddhist (properly) and 2 or 3 who became devoted christians. I also know quite a lot of people who have renounced their faith.

Judaism though, that’s quite a serious leap of commitment. As Carbomb said, it’s much much more to do with learning and study, rather than just a ‘belief’.

Good luck with it man. 

• Paid Members

Regarding your last post about opening dialogue, it will 100% depend upon who you speak to. I personally felt that the community I lived amongst (large community) were very quiet, respectful, peaceful, but kept to themselves. However, once dialogue had opened, that particular community were incredibly friendly and warming. 

The main thing is that they might want to know why you have an interest, what makes you believe you want to follow Judaism, the reasons and your credibility really. Unlike other religions, sects of Christianity, Krishna’s, even elements the Muslim community spread the word, or recruit for a brass way of putting it... doesn’t seem to be so much the case with Judaism. 

What I would do is find out if their is a community group closer to home, but realistically you will need to go to the Rabbi directly.

A guy who I used to work with converted, due to marriage. His wife's brother used to refer to him as her "Goy toy". I know he did nearly a year of studying before he actually converted and had his moyle, which was the worst part of converting. Though apparently having a kosher cock isn't a %100 really necessary for converting adults.

• Moderators

The latest Windows 10 creators update seems to have removed the 'cast to device' server, meaning I can no longer right click a video and stream it through my Xbox. Are there any alternatives out there?

I can still see my Xbox listed as a device, but 'cast to device server' isn't even listed in task manager anymore, so it's not that it's not discoverable.

Archived