Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

I'm doing about 40 units a day (about 4 bottles of wine).

33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

What are you missing out on by drinking?

At that pace, his fifties onwards.

29 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

An alcoholic isn't the best person to give advice, but why do you want to stop drinking?  What are you missing out on by drinking?

I don't want to stop drinking but I appreciate the reply, Keith. Since I found this forum I've always felt welcome to post my thoughts when I didn't really know where else to look. Yourself, Spurs Slapnut, Kat Von D, tigerr etc have gave me advice I've taken to heart and I'd love to return the gestures, IRL. I found drink to be an escapism, the same as I always got out of wrestling. Thing is, I had to have a PPV with th drink. Fucking go overboard - if Linda wasn't getting out the wheelchair then I'd get another drink. I think I've blown my drinking problem out proportion and looked it as an excuse, really. Life going shit? Blame it on the drink. Life going well? Raise a drink.

I use drink as an excuse for the problems in my life; I need to stop that. 

1 hour ago, Undefeated Steak said:

It's no secret on here I've had a history with drink. I'm doing about 40 units a day (about 4 bottles of wine). If I wake up and have an orange juice I feel okay but I spoke with my mum on the phone the other day and she sounded concerned. I'm not sure what to do, really but you guys have always been ace with advice.

The thing that worries me with your statement is that it seems that you're ok/comfortable with your drinking and that you're looking for a direction to deflect your current state when other people show concern for you. You need to find the point of why you drink to excess and look to address that going forwards.

It may sound very arsey and I really don't mean to come across that but I'd rather be blunt.

From working with people with alcohol abuse or the potential to further abuse alcohol, the only person who can help you is yourself. You have to be ready to confront yourself and want to change, only then can you do something about it. I speak from experience (Though that's not worth much.) and know this the main source when dealing with the issue, most other routes tend to fail within weeks.

If you are looking for help, then your GP is the first port of call but the main thing is to be honest, forward and be assured in the direction you want to take in order to address the issue.

From there you can work things out with your GP and hopefully they won't take to long to get you started with the help you want/require.

You know yourself best and how your body is. The keys to remember is that there is no timescale on how to deal with the issue and progress can be slow. There is no magical cure and the hardest part will be finding a point where you're happy.

Last but not least, it's not a straight battle. You can still drink and be comfortable/happy.

I wish you all the best with whatever direction you take and you put it best before, there are a bunch of wonderful people on here, use/lean on them if needs be.

The drink is a plaster over the wounds, sure it'll cover it up for a bit but the wounds won't heal with a plaster and they can become infected.  If you need a distraction, make sure it's a healthy one.  Mine is now photography, sure I crave a drink but I know if I have one, I'll have ten and then the next day is a write off and I won't be able to do what I like, driving and taking pics.

It may not be for you, but I had a long time of emailing the samaritans as I didn't want to speak to people, it really helped.  Here is good, the anonymity helps but not everyone has good intentions.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BigJag said:

How can an alcoholic be helped by those around them?

Personally, alcohol is so prevalent and pervasive that I found it (and still find it) very difficult to be around lots of people drinking. So, letting your friends and family know that you're struggling and maybe don't want to have the added pressure of them saying stuff like "oh, go on, one can't hurt" can help a lot. Most of my friends now wouldn't offer me a drink. My mums side of the family, however, I see a lot less of because they won't stop offering me drink. 

• Paid Members

A colleague and I were chatting about addiction strategy when putting some training resources together a few months back. This advice won’t work for everyone but can help some, depending on how you personally look at alcohol, the concept being... Don’t make alcohol the reason you’re not going to drink.

So, a fair few people don’t like to admit that alcohol is an issue for them. They may subconsciously know that it’s problematic but can’t face the fact that it’s an actual daily issue, let alone the idea of admitting this to others.

So instead of facing it ‘head on’ as some people do (and it works for some), try approaching it side ways. For example, “im going to lose weight in January and stop eating/drinking shit for the month”, therefore using a diet as the excuse not to drink. The diet is my primary goal, it has my main focus and attention, and it’s an everyday/common approach that your mind can tolerate, compared to dealing with the concept of alcoholism. Doing it this way might help with focus, you might find a rhythm/pattern that allows your mind to be preoccupied, it’s easier to psychologically deal with and it’s easier to explain to others why you’re not going out.

Like everything, it’s not going to work for everyone, but it might help some.

Archived