Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I'm interested in learning more about it and getting a bit more involved, see if it fits me. I've never been big on religion before and so have no idea how you go about it. 

I’ve always enjoyed learning about different religions while not being religious myself in the slightest. I find different beliefs and faith very interesting even extreme religions and cults. I’d really like to learn more first hand about Judaism in particular though. Please keep us updated with how you progress with this.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's made you want to do this, Tommy? Religion's never struck me as something you just try on for size to see if it takes your fancy, like origami or iced tea. I'd have to be blindsided by something pretty compelling first to stoke my interest.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

@Gus Mears might be able to help.

I'm actually half Jewish, I've got a twoskin.

@Tommy!

Afraid my Jewish heritage is from my Dad's side, and consequently, I'm not an expert by any means, but have some knowledge. Don't think anyone in my family has practised consistently since my Grandpa's generation (Grandpa incidentally was possibly the most Jewish looking man on planet earth). 

Out of all of the major religions, Judaism in probably the most difficult to 'convert' to as it were. It's not evangelical in the manner of Christianity or Islam, and takes a far more phlegmatic approach to people wanting to get involved. It's truly about free will.  It would take real commitment in terms of lifestyle choices and (at bare minimum) a year of study.

Saying that, if you just want to learn more, even just out of interest, I would recommend perhaps contacting your local rabbi (if a synagogue is relative near), or going there and asking. Just because it's not a religion desperate to convert people, it's by no means impenetrable, and most practising Jews from my experience are happy to talk more if asked. 

• Awards Moderator

I was going to suggest the same as Gus, Tommy. Have a chat with a rabbi or someone involved. A friend of mine converted so she could marry, and the rabbi they got for it (I think it was the Central London Synagogue or something similar?) was really good, very friendly and open.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

The latest Windows 10 creators update seems to have removed the 'cast to device' server, meaning I can no longer right click a video and stream it through my Xbox. Are there any alternatives out there?

I can still see my Xbox listed as a device, but 'cast to device server' isn't even listed in task manager anymore, so it's not that it's not discoverable.

Plex does not do the trick. Any other suggestions?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Start menu, type "Windows Features" and you should bring up Turn Windows Features On and Off.  Go into that.  Is there an unselected "Media Features" option?  If so tick it, ok and let it work its magic.  Otherwise you may be running an N version of Windows in which case you want the media features pack.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4039813/media-feature-pack-for-windows-10-n-october-2017

I hope that helps.

Cheers, though that doesn't fix anything. Media Features is on. It's weird, because my computer can still see my Xbox, and I still get the option to cast to it when I right click a video, but cast to device doesn't start up, and isn't even in the task manager, like it's just gone. Every googable solution relates to either streaming being off, or the Xbox being undiscoverable. Right pain in the dick, as I watch eeeeeeverything that way.

• Paid Members
On 11/01/2018 at 1:11 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

What's made you want to do this, Tommy? Religion's never struck me as something you just try on for size to see if it takes your fancy, like origami or iced tea. I'd have to be blindsided by something pretty compelling first to stoke my interest.

I've had an interest in it for a while to be honest, and lived near a Jewish community in Germany but never got involved due to the language barrier. I get a fair amount of information from people who are CoE, Catholic and Muslim faithful, especially after my dad killed himself last year, but don't really know or hear anything about Judaism. I guess that, coupled with what I have read, generates a curiosity to learn more. 

I've always had my job and little else. Now the career is pretty fucked it seems a good time to finally learn more. 

I'm looking to get back in to listening to vinyl. I'm on a bit of a budget and can only really go to about £100 for a turntable. I don't want a generic, out of the box, USB cheap plastic thing (like Ion, Steepletone, Crosley etc). But something that will sound good and look good (I'm quite partial to retro looking units, 80's or 90's era like the Technics or Pioneer style). I've been searching quite a bit recently, and between your audiophile snob websites and your general Amazon reviewers, I really don't know what to go for.

Anyone here with a bit of experience that can offer some advice? I'm happy to go for something pre-owned as long as it fits the bill and falls within the budget.

It will be connected to an AV Amplifier. From what I understand I'll need a pre-amp or a turntable with a pre-amp built in.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

I'm looking to get back in to listening to vinyl. I'm on a bit of a budget and can only really go to about £100 for a turntable. I don't want a generic, out of the box, USB cheap plastic thing (like Ion, Steepletone, Crosley etc). But something that will sound good and look good (I'm quite partial to retro looking units, 80's or 90's era like the Technics or Pioneer style). I've been searching quite a bit recently, and between your audiophile snob websites and your general Amazon reviewers, I really don't know what to go for.

Anyone here with a bit of experience that can offer some advice? I'm happy to go for something pre-owned as long as it fits the bill and falls within the budget.

It will be connected to an AV Amplifier. From what I understand I'll need a pre-amp or a turntable with a pre-amp built in.

You will struggle to get anything by technics, that’s authentic for anything near that price Steve. I sold a pair of 1210’s for £350 around 4 years ago, they are roughly that each now.

Ive just seen that there are currently 3 Dual turntables on the U.K. eBay. The 601 being a favourite of mine. Just a good quality belt drive. Have a look at it, do a bit of google research in terms of common issues and how it’s regarded. Very early models had a glitch flipping from 33rpm to 45rpm, early sorted, but worth knowing. My uncle has one and it’s a lovely smooth system. A belt drive as you’d expect. 

Am I assuming you’d be happy enough with a belt drive, or do you want a direct drive? 

FD5FCBB0-F6D2-48A8-8A7B-3C77F1E804E9.jpeg

Yeah, a belt drive is fine. It's not going to get extensive use, just a bit of weekend playing for a couple of hours. 

I'll take a look at those that you mentioned. That's kind of where I fall short. Knowledge on good makes/brands. I'm familiar with Technics, Pioneer, Sony, Audio Technica etc, but anything else I won't really know about. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

That's kind of where I fall short. Knowledge on good makes/brands. I'm familiar with Technics, Pioneer, Sony, Audio Technica etc, but anything else I won't really know about. 

All that you have mentioned are really good/recognised brands Steve. The key is not to fall for it just because of that, much like with anything big reliable brands are on occasion responsible for knocking out utter shite. For example, Sony knocked out an LX1 model and it’s complete tat. 

In terms of your price range, for a retro system, I’d go for either a Dual, or a Thorens TD series machine. Great for the price range of £100-£150 pre owned.

Archived