Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

M&S have decent own brand stuff. It’s all usually around £8 for a 30ml bottle or so I think, and they usually imitate something generally well respected, with pretty good results. For example, they had one called ISIS but have changed its name to AQUA.. it’s very similar to issey miyake.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm suddenly in the middle of a moral dilemma - last week I ordered the new Lovely Eggs LP and 7" single from their website. It arrived on Tuesday and is marvellous. Today the postman knocked, I opened the door to see the wonderful sight of him holding some package which could contain nothing other than an LP. Then to my horror I saw the address was written in the unmistakable handwriting of Holly Ross (from the band) it was another LP and 7"! Now if this was a package from Amazon I'd just think thanks very much, give the 7" to a bloke at work who likes the song and either put the lp in the eggs section and save it for the dreadful day that my original copy gets scratched / whatever or give it to my mate for his birthday in three weeks. However it's NOT from Amazon, it's from those two fools who self fund everything and have no record label etc. But to send it back to them will cost ME money. I'm in a pickle. My normal moral compass - my wife - hates the band so would probably suggest burning it as a solution, so I put it to YOU the good people of the UKFF - what would you do?

• Paid Members

Tweet them, and say you think there has been a mistake. They might message you privately, send you coin for postage and get you to send it back. Or might just say keep it.

I’d be firmly in the support them to succeed camp. The fact you’re asking suggests you are too mate.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I had the same problem around Christmas. Ordered a Stranger Things-themed jumper for my sister, was sent a second one two days later. I contacted them via email to ask what I should do, as the company is based in the US and had sent it from there. They very kindly told me to keep it, so I did the only thing I could in response, which was give them the absolute best feedback possible (which I was more or less going to do anyway, they were brill).

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

M&S have decent own brand stuff. It’s all usually around £8 for a 30ml bottle or so I think, and they usually imitate something generally well respected, with pretty good results. For example, they had one called ISIS but have changed its name to AQUA.. it’s very similar to issey miyake.

Cheers, I hate M&S but I looked it up and apparently their fragrance "Autograph" is identical to Paco Rabane 1 Million which is my fave so that's perfect. Looking up that scent brought me to this website which exists for that exact purpose and lists all the knock offs of famous fragrances.

http://www.smell-a-likes.com

It has reviews for 8 (8!) different knock offs of Gaultier Le Male.

• Moderators
On 10/02/2018 at 7:20 AM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Is there a decent, cheap alternative to Aftershaves and Eau de toilettes? They're mainly expensive because of marketing right? I ran out of the scents my ex's mum got me, I don't want to wear Umbro perfume from poundland and I'm not really in a position to spend £45 on a bottle of Million but I want to smell nice.

brut-original-aftershave----100ml-brut-o

Or if you fancy something "brisk, bold" -

Does anyone on here either stream on twitch or know someone who does?

a mate & I have been thinking about starting some sort of 'watch along' channel in which we'll just commentate over a film or a TV show, but not sure if that fall under "fair use" or not. I'm assuming that we wouldn't be able to show anything on screen visually, it's more a case of the audio. Would it just be a case of just popping in a pair of headphones to cover ourselves, or are we just on a road to nowhere?

• Paid Members

Twitch is the way to go if you’re a game streamer, no question, but not sure for what you’re doing. 

Bear in mind that YouTube have 15 min caps for new streamers now, so twitch is probably the best platform if your commentating over full films.

Saying that, visuals to keep people’s attention? Especially if you’re new to it, a blank screen and voices might not get the listeners compared to those who commentate in what looks like a man cave/studio type set up.

Was it OSW that used to do the retro wrestling podcast/watch along shows?

This is where we're butting heads a bit on it.

With Twitch, it would be a case of the camera is just on us (not showing anything of the film, as I doubt that would be allowed even if we tried to claim 'fair use') do you can catch our reactions and as we speak. However, I can picture a stream of just two guys holding anyone's attention if your trying to do a watch along type thing. With a podcast, your getting the same commentary just without the visuals and I think that would be better for someone who is watching a film along with us.

Like I say, since his mate started streaming his games, he's just got it into his mind that Twitch is the greatest thing going. It's still very much in its embrionic stages, but I'm still pushing for the podcast

A live stream watch along would only work for viewers if they're there to sync up the film with you at the start, nobody coming in during would be able to sync up. it would need to be advertised in advance and without a built up audience it's a tough sell.  If he has a built up audience with his gaming streams though he could theoretically set up a date/timed event for his viewers to tune in and watch you guys as a tester.

Archived