Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Didn't somebody twitch stream Wrestlemania last year. They pretended they were "playing" Wrestlemania the game. In some sort of attempt to get around copyright laws.

How popular are these watch along streams? I only have real experience of them with people like Schiavone and Prichard doing them as part of their podcasts. Even then I barely watch along, preferring to treat it as a radio show. It's the person providing the commentary that draws me in.

Even with something like 1 Credit Classics I get bored quite quickly. That's on a topic I'm quite interested in too. One Credit Classics is a YouTube channel where the poster puts up videos of him completing, usually retro games, without losing a life. 

@WyattSheepMask good luck with your endeavour. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

• Paid Members

Alright gang?  I bought my wife an Ipad2 back when they were relatively new - it's now relatively ancient of course, and we've ran into a problem...

Her eBay app has expired, and the latest version is only compatible with iOS10 or higher - ours is currently 9.8.7.1 or whatever.  However, looking into it, it seems our version of the machine is not compatible with iOS10, and this we appear stuck. 

I naively thought the whole appeal of Apple tech was the ability to keep it current.  As such, one of the things she uses most now seems to be entirely defunct.  Can anyone offer any glimmer of hope that we might be able to find some sort of work around?  

• Paid Members
On 10/02/2018 at 7:20 AM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Is there a decent, cheap alternative to Aftershaves and Eau de toilettes? They're mainly expensive because of marketing right? I ran out of the scents my ex's mum got me, I don't want to wear Umbro perfume from poundland and I'm not really in a position to spend £45 on a bottle of Million but I want to smell nice.

Home Bargains actually have the odd nice designer EDT at £20 if you keep checking, I got Jimmy Choo in there once.

Or there's Lynx Africa.

27 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Alright gang?  I bought my wife an Ipad2 back when they were relatively new - it's now relatively ancient of course, and we've ran into a problem...

Her eBay app has expired, and the latest version is only compatible with iOS10 or higher - ours is currently 9.8.7.1 or whatever.  However, looking into it, it seems our version of the machine is not compatible with iOS10, and this we appear stuck. 

I naively thought the whole appeal of Apple tech was the ability to keep it current.  As such, one of the things she uses most now seems to be entirely defunct.  Can anyone offer any glimmer of hope that we might be able to find some sort of work around?  

The only thing you can do is just use Ebay via the browser.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, John Matrix said:

I've got a similar situation with my phone, and eBay is also the one that's really hit me. If I open the app it says that this version is no longer supported and directs me to the app store, however the new version isn't compatible with whatever version of Android mine's running.

On 2/13/2018 at 6:14 AM, BigJag said:

Didn't somebody twitch stream Wrestlemania last year. They pretended they were "playing" Wrestlemania the game. In some sort of attempt to get around copyright laws.

Yeah, and someone streamed a UFC PPV in the same style. Both got DMCA'ed I believe. I dunno if Twitch is what you are looking for. I'm not totally up on their other sections or if they allow watchalong style streams, I tend to stick to gaming and away from the cesspit that is IRL. If that's the route you're going down, just make sure you check their Terms of Service, they've recently updated them. As for numbers, the biggest gaming streamers regularly have over 25,000 viewers; Dr Disrespect made a comeback recently from a self-imposed exile and drew over 350k for his first stream, bringing the site down DDoS style. At the time of writing, Bubba the Love Sponge currently has 1,700 viewers in IRL.

• Paid Members

Has anyone ever used the internet to search for (metaphorically) long lost family?

There's some cousins that I've not seen since we were young teens. Every member of my family that links me to them is dead, and short of hoping they're on Facebook and hoping they haven't changed their names and hoping I can pick them out of everyone else on there with the same name, I'm at a loss how to go about it.

Your best bet might be genealogy websites like ancestry.co.uk. My mother has been on a couple of times to piece the family tree together and has reconnected with family she has not spoken to since the 70s. 

Also there is no harm in just doing a basic google search. Obviously if they have a common name like John Smith it will be like finding a needle in the haystack. My best tip is to put the name in " " followed by the place where they have come from in " " (for example "Joe Bloggs" "Luton") and do the same search with the name of the local newspaper.  

Another place to look is Companies House. If any of your cousins have decided to run their own business their details will be listed on there. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Has anyone ever used the internet to search for (metaphorically) long lost family?

There's some cousins that I've not seen since we were young teens. Every member of my family that links me to them is dead, and short of hoping they're on Facebook and hoping they haven't changed their names and hoping I can pick them out of everyone else on there with the same name, I'm at a loss how to go about it.

We had a very similar situation a few years back, but I wanted to find a half brother I never knew I had. All I knew was his name and his mums name, and the town he was born in. 

We used a mixture of genealogy sites, facebook and electoral roll checks. My other half did the electoral roll check online using a third party website(she can't remember which one though) for a £10 fee. It took some digging, but we found him eventually... 

• Paid Members

One family within our family adopted a youngster when he was 3. He had what I would class as a good upbringing with positive role models. The day after his 18th birthday he nashed. The police were involved and within a week said he’s safe and well but doesn’t want to be found. With him being 18 he had that right. He’s never been in touch with a single member of the family since that day, which was around 15 years ago.

I’ve  been in two minds whether to try and track him down or not. I’ve always decided against it. Firstly because he didn’t want to be found, but secondly I think I’d end up losing my rag with him, regardless of his reasons. I’d like to think I’d take his reasons on board and trust it was best for him at the time... but I don’t think I have that tolerance level anymore.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

One family within our family adopted a youngster when he was 3. He had what I would class as a good upbringing with positive role models. The day after his 18th birthday he nashed. The police were involved and within a week said he’s safe and well but doesn’t want to be found. With him being 18 he had that right. He’s never been in touch with a single member of the family since that day, which was around 15 years ago.

I’ve  been in two minds whether to try and track him down or not. I’ve always decided against it. Firstly because he didn’t want to be found, but secondly I think I’d end up losing my rag with him, regardless of his reasons. I’d like to think I’d take his reasons on board and trust it was best for him at the time... but I don’t think I have that tolerance level anymore.

Christ, that is a tough position to be in. I think it would tear me apart trying to come to a decision!

Have you thought of just trying to track down his whereabouts with the intentions of simply sending a letter or email. Then your giving him the option of replying. At least then you wouldn't be just turning up out of the blue? 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Christ, that is a tough position to be in. I think it would tear me apart trying to come to a decision!

Have you thought of just trying to track down his whereabouts with the intentions of simply sending a letter or email. Then your giving him the option of replying. At least then you wouldn't be just turning up out of the blue? 

Part of me doesn’t think it’s my place in all honesty, he wasn’t in my immediate family/wasn’t my brother and there’s like an unwritten rule of not discussing him around his immediates. He knows where we all are, well some of the family are still in that area, there’s loads of us for him to reach out to put it that way, but he hasn’t. 

But like I said, it’s crossed my mind out of curiosity more than anything, is he still alive? did he start a family himself? did he try and reunite with his original family?

I do believe though that if I was given the task to reach out to him, feelings of curiosity/wonderment etc would quickly diminish and I’d be ready to have it out with him. Absolutely not what’s required in a delicate situation such as this.

Archived