Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Be careful, though. If you remove that bit of wood then the other bits will fall to the floor, because gravity.

You're welcome.

Well they are nailed to the cross brace attached to the wall, with one at each side, so it is a little more complex than that, but gravity will be at play.

I'll nip to b&q and ask for an antigravity hammer or catspaw after breakfast.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question.

I had my very first driving lesson today. A mate of mine took me out. But we were both under the mistaken belief that since he was insured on the car and had over three years driving, it was ok for me to drive his car supervised. The bike cops that stopped us said no that's not true. So they seized the car, which I paid £150 to get back. And we both either have to take 6 points on our licenses (which for me on a provisional would mean mine would be revoked) or go to court. The cop who busted us said there is some defence I can offer about not knowing that I wasn't insured or able to drive the car. Anyone know about this?

What?

Why was the car seized if the insured owner was there?

My central heating only fires up when it wants to. Sometimes when I turn it on, it works. Sometimes (like tonight) the little digital screen on it just flashes 00:00 and nothing happens. Boiler still fires up for hot water every time.

Any experts on this? There is a weird thing with the hot water where it starts for a few seconds, then cuts off for maybe thirty seconds, then it comes back on fine. This happens every time. I've made that part of my shower routine, I start it running, then grab clothes, towel etc and get in after it comes back on. I don't know if that's related, other than another sign that it's a shitty boiler installed by a cowboy landlord.

But I don't know if the heater thing is related to a timer or programming issue. It seems completely random whether it will come on or not.

• Paid Members

I have a question.

I had my very first driving lesson today. A mate of mine took me out. But we were both under the mistaken belief that since he was insured on the car and had over three years driving, it was ok for me to drive his car supervised. The bike cops that stopped us said no that's not true. So they seized the car, which I paid £150 to get back. And we both either have to take 6 points on our licenses (which for me on a provisional would mean mine would be revoked) or go to court. The cop who busted us said there is some defence I can offer about not knowing that I wasn't insured or able to drive the car. Anyone know about this?

What?

Why was the car seized if the insured owner was there?

Because the cops said that's a thing. I don't know. But it happened.

• Moderators

It is with a heavy heart that I have to stop using Winamp. It's been not responding and crashing more lately, and is no longer being supported so I think it's time to move on. Music Bee seems pretty solid. Very lightweight, but does what I need it to, has a remote for Unified Remote app.

The main problem with it is that it doesn't have shell extensions. I want to be able to right click a folder and say play in MusicBee. Does anyone know how you can add shell extensions yourself?

Or indeed does anyone have any recommendations for other good lightweight music players for windows that they can recommend?

• Awards Moderator

Someone still uses WinAmp? Blimey. Are you on CompuServe too?

The main problem with it is that it doesn't have shell extensions. I want to be able to right click a folder and say play in MusicBee. Does anyone know how you can add shell extensions yourself?

http://vlaurie.com/right-click/customize-context-menu.html

It is with a heavy heart that I have to stop using Winamp. It's been not responding and crashing more lately, and is no longer being supported so I think it's time to move on. Music Bee seems pretty solid. Very lightweight, but does what I need it to, has a remote for Unified Remote app.

Or indeed does anyone have any recommendations for other good lightweight music players for windows that they can recommend?

Time to send those Winamp skins to the great media server in the sky.

VLC Media Player is a great all purpose player

Archived