Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking about investing in a Mac to do some design, photo work etc - so other than display, i dont need anything all signing all dancing in terms of spec.

Can anyone make a recommendation? I dont have lots to spend, would rather have a full size laptop than any compact version, but i know nothing about the market at all these days.

Thanks in advance.

Macbook pro is probably your best bet, they're not cheap though. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-13-inch-MacBook-2-5GHz-Graphics/dp/B008BEYEL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410240928&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+pro A mac mini probably wouldn't have enough welly and new version mac pro would be overkill.

If it's just for home, the older style/cheese grater mac pro might be worth looking into, the problem (for people with lots of data throughput) is the lack of USB 3.0 / thunderbolt capability, but you could probably pick up a really good one (in terms of RAM/processor spec) for cheap while people are moving to the trash can.

• Paid Members

I refuse to believe you went out and didn't witness someone behaving like a lunatic.

I did about a year ago when the family went to it. Somebody was ranting outside it with a big Scottish Defence League flag. He was trying to put the flag over people's back whilst they were going in, but apart from that, a great night was had by all.

I'm thinking about investing in a Mac to do some design, photo work etc - so other than display, i dont need anything all signing all dancing in terms of spec.

Can anyone make a recommendation? I dont have lots to spend, would rather have a full size laptop than any compact version, but i know nothing about the market at all these days.

Thanks in advance.

Macbook pro is probably your best bet, they're not cheap though. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-13-inch-MacBook-2-5GHz-Graphics/dp/B008BEYEL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410240928&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+pro A mac mini probably wouldn't have enough welly and new version mac pro would be overkill.

If it's just for home, the older style/cheese grater mac pro might be worth looking into, the problem (for people with lots of data throughput) is the lack of USB 3.0 / thunderbolt capability, but you could probably pick up a really good one (in terms of RAM/processor spec) for cheap while people are moving to the trash can.

I would avoid the cheese grater Mac Pros personally.  They're not going that cheap and like you say, the lack of thunderbolt will make them problematic in the future.

The Mac Mini is actually a really good choice as a desktop as it's surprisingly powerful and good for everything but the most vigorous video packages/pro audio uses.  If you've already got a decent monitor, they're worth a look.

The MacBooks are great, but as mentioned they're not cheap.  No Mac is, but it's worth it.

• Paid Members

Appreciate the answers guys.  Having just had a look at the Mac Mini (never heard of it until you mentioned it), would i be right in saying that it's almost like a PC Tower essentially? so you'd just buy a mouse, keyboard, monitor and plug those in?

It's probably not very practical for me despite being a great price, but it's definately worth considering.

On another note, why is it Mac's are rated so highly? I havent owned a new computer since about 2010 so i'm way off the pace these days and feel like i'm only considering one because i've been told too, i don't really understand why i couldnt buy a much cheaper laptop to do what i want to do with.

On another note, why is it Mac's are rated so highly? I havent owned a new computer since about 2010 so i'm way off the pace these days and feel like i'm only considering one because i've been told too, i don't really understand why i couldnt buy a much cheaper laptop to do what i want to do with.

If you buy a Mac, you get to wave your dick around telling people you've bought a Mac. There's no reason other than that. For whatever price you'd be looking at for a Mac, you'd be able to get a Windows machine with better specs (or with the same specs cheaper).

Although the Garageband app is fun.

• Paid Members

Every designer i've ever seen or worked alongside seems to use them, hence me thinking there must be something about them which makes them especially suited to that sort of work.  

I guess they were all dick waivers, unless someone can say something to the contrary?

Archived