Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's a dodgy site that has my bank details as I've had two small payments taken out within the last few hours but I've no idea where they're from. Normally I'd ring up and cancel my card (as it's only a direct debit/current account that I'm talking about) but I have a cheque clearing in this account and won't be able to get another one from the person who wrote it out to me.

Is there a way I can cancel anymore outgoings with these details and set up another account/new details with the bank but still allow for the cheque to clear and transfer the funds from this account into the new one?

Never had an issue like this before so don't know where I stand.

Employment law experts: Can an employer promise a certain shift allowance rate in a contract, then eighteen months later decide that that rate was wrong, the employee has been overpaid and owes the employer three grand? The initial rate was worked out incorrectly, but doesn't the fact they offered it in contracts mean they're bound by it and can't call it an overpayment?

I have mate but I couldn't understand the operator on the phone. I'll have to go into my branch first thing in the morning and hope nothing else gets taken out before then.

You don't have to close an account when cancelling a card. When you go not a branch, they will just stick you on a phone to their fraud call centre most likely to do so.

Not an expert at all, so definately don't take my word for it. Sounds fishy to me. Why would you need to pay for a manager's fault?

King Coconut, on 28 Aug 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

I'm also no expert but a contract is a contract. That much is fact.

Yeah, that's my interpretation as well, but I don't know which laws and acts should be cited on the grievance form. It seems like the money's completely unreclaimable due to the principle of estoppel anyway, based on my Googling, but I don't know if that's even the way to go because I don't think this can really count as an overpayment, it's an employer trying to renege on a contract.

I've offered to help a mate out by working a night shift for him tonight. I've not done one before but it's not like there's much to do. By the sounds of it the list of jobs will take an hour or two max and then it's a case of just keeping an eye on the property until the morning workers come in at around 7am.

Looking forward to it in a strange sort of way - it'll be the first time I'll have spent the entire night awake (sober at least) in a long time, if ever. It'll be nice to have some time to myself out the house (and be paid for it to boot!) There aren't any internet connected computers that I can have a blast on unfortunately so I'm making sure my phone's charged and I've got a book. I think I'll manage it fine until around 3am and then I'll have to crack out a shit ton of coffee to get me through that period until half 5ish. Once there then 7am is in sight.

Any one else have experience of night shifts?

I live in a first floor flat, and there's a constant slow dripping noise somewhere. One drip every two seconds, maybe. It's only really audible when there are no other noises, so needs computer and television off and no traffic outside etc, so it's most noticeable in the early hours of the morning. It doesn't seem to be related to water usage, ie it's still happening when I've not used any water for hours and doesn't speed up when I do use water.

Don't know if this is related at all, but also at some point in the small hours, there's a sound like the boiler coming on or the radiators filling. But my heating and hot water aren't timed and aren't coming on at that point, so my assumption is that that's the neighbour's system. I've not noticed if this is every night or if it's always the same time, but it's certainly not a one off.

What the fuck's happening with the pipes?

• Paid Members

I need to buy a new laptop but I'm confused about what kind of processor I need. I'd only really be using it for general browsing, downloading and streaming video, so can I get away with an i3 core processor? Or is i5/i7 the bench mark?

Not really wanting to spend more than £300-£350.

Help me, please.

Anyone know where I can get a decent (faux) marble top tv unit? I've been looking for one for fucking ages but you can't seem get them over here for love nor money. Amazon US have a ton but the don't ship items that size over to the UK. I feel like crying. :(

71teQtvdaJL._SL1500_.jpg

Something like that would be perfect.

Archived