Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

I was on TV the other week and I want to use the footage for a showreel, but it disappeared off iPlayer before I got a chance to rip it. I have it saved to my Freesat+ box, does anybody know a way I can rip it from there onto my laptop?

My Humax one has a USB port behind the front panel. Use the file manager to copy from the box to a USB pen drive. From memory it's an MPEG2 file.

Thanks. I've found a USB port on the back but it doesn't really seem to do anything.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this should go here, a new thread or a different existing thread, but I'm thinking about building a PC that'd comfortably handle current games and HD video editing (though don't need it to be packed with specs that'll play games that come out in a year or two). Don't want to spend any more than

• Paid Members

Ideally you'll want more RAM. You can get away with 8 if you aren't doing anything too crazy with the video.

What editing software are you planning on using? If it's Premiere, anything before CC will need to be hacked to get it to recognise Nvidia cards ( it's easy to do)

Get a separate HDD for your footage and OS as well

Thanks, chokeout. I'd probably go up to 16GB RAM then. I suppose it'd be Premiere, although for the moment I'll just stick with my Mac and FCP for editing and look at PC parts again in a few months I reckon. My current PC struggles with anything at 1080p, my Mac is alright but a bit stuttery, so I tend to avoid editing stuff myself and I should really rectify that. I'd go with the SSD for the OS and programs, and the HDD for video. I've put the plan on the backburner because I might buy a PS4 today.

Last month, I missed my flight back to England from Shanghai. I arrived at the gate 20 minutes before departure - cutting it fine of course, I was watching Djokovic and Nadal - and was told the gate had closed. Obviously I shit myself, but I was sure I'd been told the gate closed 15 minutes before departure. Because of the language barrier, it was tough to get my point across. I tried angrily telling them I wanted to speak to a boss but they said he wasn't there. All of the staff were leaving as it was midnight and it was a relatively small terminal. I ended up finding a policeman in the airport and, though he was powerless, he tried his best to help me and console me. In the end, I paid

• Paid Members

I've been buying a lot of old video tape films recently. Some from around 1984. In the copyright warning at the beginning, some of them say "watching the film via subscription to a diffusion service" is very illegal. What does that mean in 1984? What is a "diffusion service"? Cheers!

• Paid Members

I've been buying a lot of old video tape films recently. Some from around 1984. In the copyright warning at the beginning, some of them say "watching the film via subscription to a diffusion service" is very illegal. What does that mean in 1984? What is a "diffusion service"? Cheers!

It's carrying a TV signal over wires rather than over the air. In the 50s it was one of the ways ITV transmitted signals (one of the early ITV regional companies was called Associated Rediffusion.) With the video tapes, I assume the message is to stop local cable channels airing commercial tapes and trying to claim it's OK because it's not "broadcasting".

Reminds me of the early WWF PPVs being broadcast on "closed circuit".  Which meant that even in the 80s you could transmit video nationally, I guess via telephone lines?

One thing that kind of blew my mind was realising that fax machines that could transmit photos over telephone lines have been in use since the first decade of the 1900s!  

• Paid Members

Does anyone know of an app or something you can use to edit video on an iPhone or iPad.  Talking very short clips to make a 2 minute film with no bells and whistles, and more importantly, knowing what dicks Apple can be, will it then play on Microsoft machines etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

• Paid Members

It's carrying a TV signal over wires rather than over the air. In the 50s it was one of the ways ITV transmitted signals (one of the early ITV regional companies was called Associated Rediffusion.) With the video tapes, I assume the message is to stop local cable channels airing commercial tapes and trying to claim it's OK because it's not "broadcasting".

And heaven forfend you attempt to show anything of the sort on an oil rig.

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend me a decent budget laptop? The daughter's off to college in September and needs her own one (along with all manner of other stuff. Costing me a bloody fortune, it is).

After some legal advice.

Some of you may remember that my wife has been trying to get her business off the ground for about a year or so now. It has been a bit hit and miss to be honest, but one of the hits was a local shop that rents out space to people who make home/hand made items. My wife signed up to the first three months rent, and by the end of the second month she received a call from the shop owner to say they're having some plumbing problems on the first floor and everything needs to be cleared out of the shop, which we done.

My wife was told that it should only take a month to sort and when the shop reopens she will get a months rent space free. In the meantime she will send my wife a statement to show what she has sold and how much the shop owner owes her, which we estimate at about £60. It has now been 3 months, the shop is still closed, we have no statement and no money. The owner is not answering her calls, ignoring texts and emails. We don't know where she lives, we only have her name.

So my question is, what can we do about this? £60 to my wife's business is a big deal and we obviously just don't want to let it go. Do we go to the police or will we have to pay for a solicitor?

Archived