Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

After some legal advice.

Some of you may remember that my wife has been trying to get her business off the ground for about a year or so now. It has been a bit hit and miss to be honest, but one of the hits was a local shop that rents out space to people who make home/hand made items. My wife signed up to the first three months rent, and by the end of the second month she received a call from the shop owner to say they're having some plumbing problems on the first floor and everything needs to be cleared out of the shop, which we done.

My wife was told that it should only take a month to sort and when the shop reopens she will get a months rent space free. In the meantime she will send my wife a statement to show what she has sold and how much the shop owner owes her, which we estimate at about £60. It has now been 3 months, the shop is still closed, we have no statement and no money. The owner is not answering her calls, ignoring texts and emails. We don't know where she lives, we only have her name.

So my question is, what can we do about this? £60 to my wife's business is a big deal and we obviously just don't want to let it go. Do we go to the police or will we have to pay for a solicitor?

It's probably more of a civil matter than a criminal one. Best option is small claims court. It's fairly simple to do it yourself without a solicitor in Scotland, don't know how it works in England. Would be difficult without an address though I'd imagine.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Quick question about routers.

I've got some shitty one that came with my Virgin installation. It's constantly losing connection and I have to restart it multiple times before I can get a connection again, sometimes this takes an hour! Very frustrating.

If I get a new router, is it as simple as plugging the white cable that goes into the back of my current Virgin one into the new one? Or is there a load of set up I need to do?

Thanks.

• Paid Members

Completely depends on what sort of holiday your after mate. Who are you going with? How long for? Want a city escape,beach holiday or something else?

Knew putting that information in would help haha! Looking for a 7 night stay with the girlfriend! Somewhere quiet but with plenty to see, do and a nice beach would be a bonus! Greece seems to be the most likely destination but just too much to choose from!

I've got some shitty one that came with my Virgin installation. It's constantly losing connection and I have to restart it multiple times before I can get a connection again, sometimes this takes an hour! Very frustrating.

If I get a new router, is it as simple as plugging the white cable that goes into the back of my current Virgin one into the new one? Or is there a load of set up I need to do?

Thanks.

Depends what router it is really. Most are as simple as you described, some need a bit of configuration within the router settings, but that's quite easy to do.

I was in a similar situation as yourself a few years back (with Virgin as well) and I bought a cheap one from Argos which worked a treat just by swapping them over.

Completely depends on what sort of holiday your after mate. Who are you going with? How long for? Want a city escape,beach holiday or something else?

Knew putting that information in would help haha! Looking for a 7 night stay with the girlfriend! Somewhere quiet but with plenty to see, do and a nice beach would be a bonus! Greece seems to be the most likely destination but just too much to choose from!

Sounds nice mate. Me and the missus went to Tenerife for 10 nights in May and it was really nice mate. Nothing like it used to be 10years ago apparently. Nice restaurants and bars and lots to do! There's something for everyone there mate and isn't really that expensive.

Can a walk-in centre refer you to a neurologist? My GP has a ten day wait for appointments, and I only want one to get him to refer me on. If a walk-in centre will do it, I'd rather just go there tomorrow.

Thanks.

You have to make sure you're getting the right router -- ADSL or the other kind, Virgin use both depending on your subscription/area (their cable connection isn't available in my area, only the ADSL one). Should be that simple then, although I've never replaced a main router before.

Can a walk-in centre refer you to a neurologist? My GP has a ten day wait for appointments, and I only want one to get him to refer me on. If a walk-in centre will do it, I'd rather just go there tomorrow.

If it's one with a doctor (some are nurses only) then they can but whether they would or not without you seeing your own GP is another question. Can you ring them and ask if they make referrals? 

• Paid Members

Hi guys. My mum wants a tablet. She's after one with a large screen and around the £200 mark. Obviously the faster and more user friendly the better. Any recommendations?

If it's one with a doctor (some are nurses only) then they can but whether they would or not without you seeing your own GP is another question. Can you ring them and ask if they make referrals? 

I could, but I've realised it'll just be rigmarole anyway because my GP hasn't got my real address, it's got my mother's old address, and I live 100 miles away. It'd be a hassle when they send letters with appointments etc as I'd have to go and knock on and ask the people who live there now to save them for me etc. I'll just sort out a GP closer to my house next week.

Archived