Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

I've offered to help a mate out by working a night shift for him tonight. I've not done one before but it's not like there's much to do. By the sounds of it the list of jobs will take an hour or two max and then it's a case of just keeping an eye on the property until the morning workers come in at around 7am.

Looking forward to it in a strange sort of way - it'll be the first time I'll have spent the entire night awake (sober at least) in a long time, if ever. It'll be nice to have some time to myself out the house (and be paid for it to boot!) There aren't any internet connected computers that I can have a blast on unfortunately so I'm making sure my phone's charged and I've got a book. I think I'll manage it fine until around 3am and then I'll have to crack out a shit ton of coffee to get me through that period until half 5ish. Once there then 7am is in sight.

Any one else have experience of night shifts?

How did it go? I used to do nights. Totally agree about that 3-5am period being the toughest, your body is just desperate to shutdown. We at least got to have a break and could try and kip for an hour if you could find a quiet, dark room somewhere. I think I could cope with it again if it was a bit physically active and mentally engaging, but I couldn't sit and "monitor" crap TV channels for 12 hours a night.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anyone know where I can get a decent (faux) marble top tv unit? I've been looking for one for fucking ages but you can't seem get them over here for love nor money. Amazon US have a ton but the don't ship items that size over to the UK. I feel like crying. :(

Something like that would be perfect.

This website will ship that exact item to the UK for an extra $850. Which is significantly more than than the unit itself but if you really want it, I guess it's an option!

• Paid Members

So I have an HR interview today. I've been pre-warned that I'll be asked which cartoon character best suits me. Both my manager and I think it's a stupid question.

I'm trying to come up with an answer but I can't think of anything. Bah! Anyone got any suggestions? :D

• Paid Members

I'm thinking about investing in a Mac to do some design, photo work etc - so other than display, i dont need anything all signing all dancing in terms of spec.

Can anyone make a recommendation? I dont have lots to spend, would rather have a full size laptop than any compact version, but i know nothing about the market at all these days.

Thanks in advance.

• Paid Members

I'd like to think I'd just say "I'm not going to answer that because it has no relevance to my professional abilities."

Then again, I've not had a job interview since 1998 and very much hope to keep it that way.

That's what my manager told me to say. But it has made me realise, I never watched many cartoons as a child. I had to google the character Chest posted.  :duh:

• Paid Members

To be fair, I'm probably being influenced from the bit on The Apprentice during interview week that goes...

ALAN SUGAR HENCHMAN: Can you show me your best impression of a velociraptor?

CONTESTANT: [sticks hands out] Raaaaar!

ALAN SUGAR HENCHMAN: Why on earth would you do an impression of a velociraptor in an interview for a professional job?

• Moderators

So I have an HR interview today. I've been pre-warned that I'll be asked which cartoon character best suits me. Both my manager and I think it's a stupid question.

I'm trying to come up with an answer but I can't think of anything. Bah! Anyone got any suggestions? :D

Hank Hill. Conscientious, hard working, fair, takes responsibility deadly seriously, and likes to drink in the street.

• Moderators

My dog just bit me as I was stroking her and then bit my mother. Completely out of character for her. I'm hoping I accidentally hurt her when I was stroking her rather than this is her starting to lose it as she gets old :(

• Paid Members

My dog just bit me as I was stroking her and then bit my mother. Completely out of character for her. I'm hoping I accidentally hurt her when I was stroking her rather than this is her starting to lose it as she gets old :(

See if you can hold her down, check her for fleas or maybe her paws for anything stuck in them. Might just be snappy from being annoyed or in pain. My dogs have a right little snap now and again.

How did it go? I used to do nights. Totally agree about that 3-5am period being the toughest, your body is just desperate to shutdown. We at least got to have a break and could try and kip for an hour if you could find a quiet, dark room somewhere. I think I could cope with it again if it was a bit physically active and mentally engaging, but I couldn't sit and "monitor" crap TV channels for 12 hours a night.

I was fine until about half 3 and then found myself really struggling by 4am. Like you say, it was having nothing to do that was the worst thing about it. I stuck Heyman's podcast on which worked wonders to begin with but after the first half it was making it even harder to stay awake. Caffeine stopped doing much after that point too and there was nowhere to get half an hour's kip even if I'd wanted to. I enjoyed the night in general but it was that hour or two that spoiled it.

Archived