Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
I usually be a reimbursed-later kind of motherfucker if my travel expenses are being covered, but I've been sent pre-booked details to attend a meeting and I'm to collect them from the self-service machine.

When you go to collect your tickets you will need:

1. Your collection reference: [54980YTHNGJR]

2. A debit or credit card (your card will not be charged).

Won't I need their card to get the tickets?

No. The card is only used for some sort of check that looks up the card against bookings used against the card and will automatically issue the tickets if it matches. In your case it will just work out you haven't bought a ticket on your card and will prompt you for the collection reference.

I do the same thing every couple of weeks and book tickets through the company travel portal and pick them up at the station at one of the virgin trains machines.

Why do they even ask you to put your fucking card in then? Because I do my own bookings for travel, so am using my own card. I put it in the machine, and it still makes me enter the fucking reference code. What a waste of time... unless it's just so that way if someone nicks your reference and steals your ticket they can match a name to the transaction using the card details..?

A few months ago there was a woman in front of me who lost her reference number and the attendant guy said if she bought the tickets using her card then it might recognise it, she put in card and it gave her the tickets. So it works some of the time. It's a bit shit if you don't carry a card with you though.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 3G coverage with O2 has been absolutely shocking since I went with them in April. Does anyone have any experience in complaining about it? If so, how did you go about it and what did you get out of it? I'd be happy with my bill getting reduced even just a couple of quid.

I've been with O2 for years, mainly because I'm too lazy to move as I need to keep the same number. Always found their 3G to be pretty poor, especially anywhere there's a crowd. Often try and check footy scores at half time and see everyone around me getting online but nothing from O2!

My 3G coverage with O2 has been absolutely shocking since I went with them in April. Does anyone have any experience in complaining about it? If so, how did you go about it and what did you get out of it? I'd be happy with my bill getting reduced even just a couple of quid.

I've been with O2 for years, mainly because I'm too lazy to move as I need to keep the same number. Always found their 3G to be pretty poor, especially anywhere there's a crowd. Often try and check footy scores at half time and see everyone around me getting online but nothing from O2!

Hi Chief Dave, re keeping the same number, you just need to ask o2 for your PAC (Port Authorisation Code) when at renewal. This will allow you to port your number. The only time Ive ever seen networks not give this up is if the account is massively in arrears, and will allow you to transfer your number anywhere.

As for 3G stuff if you have an iphone 5, then there are issues with the phone on most networks re 3G.

Will PM ya some stuff that could help!

Would anyone know how I would transfer files from a windows external hard drive to an iMac?

If it's an NTFS formatted hard drive, there shouldn't be any problem. A Mac will read it fine so you can drag anything off it, just not write to it. If it's FAT formatted, there's no problem either way.

• Paid Members

My Macbook Pro suffered a mtdown last week and i lost all my songs off it. I've got them on my iphone though, but as Apple is Apple, it's looking really tricky to transfer the music from my phone back onto the Mac. Its all music from CDs and downloading, nothing from itunes. Can anyone recommend some decent (and preferably free) software to transfer the files over? Everything i look at demands money or seems dodgy.

This is going to be a bit long winded, so I apologise in advance. I need to go into some back story first to put it into context, so here goes.

My dad was always a bit weird. He came from a fairly big family and they moved around a hell of a lot when he was younger, never staying longer than 6 months in a lot of places. He turned 18 in 1945 and served in the army for 3 years, then later applied to join a religious brotherhood in Scotland. No-one's really sure what happened between then and up to him meeting my mum in the early 70's, but anyway. Growing up, he was almost always quite cold and distant, especially to my mum. My older brother is profoundly deaf and I remember many shows of outright disgust at him if he put a foot wrong. (He once forced him to stay with my nan for 2 weeks when he was ill). My older sister had a very fractious relationship with him during her teens. They didn't have a proper conversation for about 5 years, when she was about 14-19, apart from the odd snipe or angry barb. She would walk through the lounge to go to her bedroom and no-one would say anything. Even after that, he was almost always disparaging about her behind her back, she eventually moved out at age 20-21 and things kind of cooled down a bit. He didn't cope well with me getting pissed up regularly from the age of 15, but he was a very old fashioned man and a strict Catholic to boot. He got over it eventually and we were ok by the time I'd finished school.

Anyway, not too long after I left for Uni in 2003, he started getting Alzheimers. It was pretty manageable at first, he would just hang out with my mum all the time and she looked after him without too much trouble. It started getting a bit problematic when, at around 3.45pm each day, he would ask to go home. We can only figure he thought he was at work, anyway I'm getting bogged down. It got worse and worse, then around 2009 he had a fall and had to go hospital, he went downhill really quickly after that and never came back home. It was a bit of a relief for all of us, especially my mum. Eventually he ended up at a home in St Leonards, and my sister moved there to be nearer to him. She wasn't working at the time and convinced her then fella (who would later hit her and subject her to some quite nasty emotional trauma) to go there. She would visit him regularly, but by this point he really wasn't the same guy that we grew up with. He wasn't a moody bastard, for one thing, he was just...there. But not really there. Anyone that's seen the Alzheimer's at work will know what I mean.

He died a couple of years ago and my sister and I fell out big time about the funeral. The main bone of contention was about my friends attending. She didn't want any of them there. I obviously did. Words were said. She attempted to blackmail me against my then fiancee, now wife. We didn't speak for months after that, until I got the offer to come to the USA and then we made up. But it's always been a bit guarded since dad died. She talks about him like he was some saint, some really amazing father figure, but I really don't remember that guy. She's back living with my mum, who she treats like utter, utter shit. My mum is visiting us in LA at the mo, she said to me that she's terrified of her. She talks down to her all the time, stops her from living her life the way she wants to live it, treats her really really badly. Mum says she shows the cats more love and affection than her.

This has come to a head again, with a very angry email to me, saying that I "probably hate her anyway" (!) and that me and my wife have been really rude in our skype conversations while my mum has been visiting (we're looking after a new born baby, it's kind of tiring). Basically, it's a ridiculous rant at me that has no basis in reality, or at least, they're the words of someone with no perception of what looking after a baby does to people, i.e. it's fucking knackering and I'm not always going to be bright and cheerful on our 90 minute skype calls because I've had about 2 hours sleep in the last week. She's taken all the possible (and implausible) things about our conversations over the last week or two, and turned them into a list of reasons why "you hate me" and why my wife and I are such c*nts.

In short, she's paranoid. A couple of years ago, I would have written back an angry email, but now I think she's mentally ill. The reason my dad ties into all this is because she didn't used to be this way. But since he died, she has started becoming like him - agorophobic, openly hostile and rude to other family members. There's no-one left to stand up to her. My mum is too scared, and can't stand up to her, she's 68 and has no wish to fight. All she wants to do is keep the peace, and this results in her getting trampled on, both physically and emotionally. I have no idea what to do. My brother is deaf and can't help. The only remaining family memeber that hasn't been cut off is an uncle who we've never had much contact with and wouldn't do anything. I'm in LA so it's hard for me to do anything from 6000 miles away. I can't say ANYTHING about this to her because she would go absolutely fucking mental. (I wasn't as devastated as her when dad died - he'd been gone a while already in my mind because of the Alzheimers). I mentioned the whole not talking for 5 years thing as a reason why he maybe wasn't the greatest guy that ever raised children and this got a very very poor reaction - so it's quite clear that she hasn't been able to deal with this part of their relationship.

What the fuck can I do to help this situation? I feel like she needs serious professional help to deal with these rather tricky issues regarding my dad. Only I feel any casual mentions of "yeah, maybe you're mentally ill?" wouldn't go down very well. She's gradually cutting off all meaningful relationships with people and is doing her best to sabotage the few - her closest family memebers - that remain. It's not good for her and it's terrible for my mum who has enough health problems to deal with without an abusive child terrorizing her. Has anyone had any experience with anything like this? I want to help her and I want to help my mum, it's gotten so bad.

• Paid Members

So my Broadband has gone down along with my phone line, called BT and they made me do a master socket spare line check. Its the first time I've opened up the master socket in my new house and as I pulled it away all the wires came out the sockets as the cable was cut WAY too short!

I have no idea what cable goes in what number socket, looked online but they all mention multi coloured cables, I don't have that, I have black, white, orange and green. The master socket is an NTE5 ... any ideas?

I know this is an odd question, but is there any way I can play Championship Manager 93'94 on an Amiga Emulator for an Android phone? Cheers!

Yup, UAE4Droid from here You will need a kickstart rom and the disk roms which are available over the net, but is easy to get set up.

Archived