Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

The Xbox doesn't actually show two networks. It says it's detecting two but at the wireless network page it only shows a five bar connection, which I know is the network being transmitted from the repeater. The test fails at the network stage. The error messages then tells me that there is a problem with the connection and when I click more info it says...

Can't connect to wireless network

If XXXXXXXX is not your network select Configure Network, then, in the network list, press Y to disconnect and set up your network again

I've tried that to no avail. It has also been giving me the error about two networks with the same name on occasion. It is the repeater that is the issue because when I turn it off I can get online with the Xbox.

Doe the repeater have an unused ethernet port? If it's close the the Xbox you could run a direct ethernet link instead of using the wireless connection.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nfc, have you tried resetting all the network connection stuff on the Xbox to factory settings? The problem might be that certain settings it has stored for the original router's network are different from the settings the extender is using, so if you delete all the settings it has saved network-wise, then just connect to the new one, it should work.

• Paid Members
I just booked a hire car for when i'm back in December. Enterprise it was, who don't even ask for a credit card to guarantee the booking. Should I be worried that its not going to be there when I turn up (and its the back of beyond, to hire a car from the airport was double the cost of getting one 20 miles away for only 2 days time)?

Do many shops etc do this nowadays, I thought it was all about getting the payment upfront?

I rented a car for the day the same day you posted this from Enterprise. I made the booking without giving any card details, the car was there waiting for me but get there early as depending on the hour they might be busy and it took over a half hour before I was finally driving away.

Bare in mind they request paperwork showing proof of address (I didn't know this but lived local so they waved that for me) and that they take a

I just booked a hire car for when i'm back in December. Enterprise it was, who don't even ask for a credit card to guarantee the booking. Should I be worried that its not going to be there when I turn up (and its the back of beyond, to hire a car from the airport was double the cost of getting one 20 miles away for only 2 days time)?

Do many shops etc do this nowadays, I thought it was all about getting the payment upfront?

I rented a car for the day the same day you posted this from Enterprise. I made the booking without giving any card details, the car was there waiting for me but get there early as depending on the hour they might be busy and it took over a half hour before I was finally driving away.

Bare in mind they request paperwork showing proof of address (I didn't know this but lived local so they waved that for me) and that they take a

• Moderators

The proof of address caused us a real problem when I was with a mate once, because she had problems with her address (it had been going on for months with the local council having regsitered her on the electoral roll in two places, and not being sure what the postcode of her property was) but the guy at the Enterprise bent over backwards to help us and their service was ace.

Can thoroughly recommend also, but just to reiterate take more rather than less, as you've noted so you don't have any problems!

Lately, my internet has been locking up. It seems to be caused by running a torrent program, but it isn't related to torrent speeds ie it's not down to downloading Alpha Papa at 800kbps using all my bandwidth. The program being open just seems to make the internet struggle sporadically. When I type or click a link in Firefox, it just seems like the computer sits twiddling its thumbs for five minutes then decides to start loading the page. It might be particular to my computer, but my tablet seems to have the same thing with Chrome when the torrent program's running on the computer too. And it's not constant, but it's frequent enough to be annoying. I did think it was a DNS problem, but I've realised it only seems to happen when the torrent program is running so I'm assuming that's overloading the router (though, why now after it's been fine for years?). Could it be a port issue?

• Paid Members

We're having a "cookie day" in the office on Tuesday, for Christmas - pay a small fee to charity, and you get a sampler of homemade cookies - and I've been invited to contribute. Want to do an English recipe, anyone think of a good English cookie that's not dull yet isn't hard to bake? I'm thinking Grantham gingerbread, but I might have disqualified that as they're dull as arse.

Lately, my internet has been locking up. It seems to be caused by running a torrent program, but it isn't related to torrent speeds ie it's not down to downloading Alpha Papa at 800kbps using all my bandwidth. The program being open just seems to make the internet struggle sporadically. When I type or click a link in Firefox, it just seems like the computer sits twiddling its thumbs for five minutes then decides to start loading the page. It might be particular to my computer, but my tablet seems to have the same thing with Chrome when the torrent program's running on the computer too. And it's not constant, but it's frequent enough to be annoying. I did think it was a DNS problem, but I've realised it only seems to happen when the torrent program is running so I'm assuming that's overloading the router (though, why now after it's been fine for years?). Could it be a port issue?

Have you forwarded the suggested port for the torrent program?

We're having a "cookie day" in the office on Tuesday, for Christmas - pay a small fee to charity, and you get a sampler of homemade cookies - and I've been invited to contribute. Want to do an English recipe, anyone think of a good English cookie that's not dull yet isn't hard to bake? I'm thinking Grantham gingerbread, but I might have disqualified that as they're dull as arse.

Even if you think the recipe is a bit dull, get some cookie cutters and they'll look a lot fancier even though they're the same cookie. Something Christmas themed would work or animals.

Archived