Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lately, my internet has been locking up. It seems to be caused by running a torrent program, but it isn't related to torrent speeds ie it's not down to downloading Alpha Papa at 800kbps using all my bandwidth. The program being open just seems to make the internet struggle sporadically. When I type or click a link in Firefox, it just seems like the computer sits twiddling its thumbs for five minutes then decides to start loading the page. It might be particular to my computer, but my tablet seems to have the same thing with Chrome when the torrent program's running on the computer too. And it's not constant, but it's frequent enough to be annoying. I did think it was a DNS problem, but I've realised it only seems to happen when the torrent program is running so I'm assuming that's overloading the router (though, why now after it's been fine for years?). Could it be a port issue?

Have you forwarded the suggested port for the torrent program?

Yeah, ports are forwarded, and UPnP is enabled. There's no problem with the torrenting, but web browsing (and signing in/out of Skype etc) are laggy as fuck when the program's running, regardless of any upload/download activity. I think my router could be knackered, but I'm hoping there's a fix that isn't just posting that back.

Does anyone know if you can buy lottery tickets for individual future weeks? I want to put a few X-Mas day draw tickets in some X-Mas cards I'm sending but I've no idea if you can actually request specific weeks or if it's only the upcoming week you can buy for.

It's a weird that you cant buy for specific dates. You can buy for the Saturday in advance ( IE a ticket bought for the following Saturday on the Sunday after the a Saturday draw), but that's it as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know if you can buy lottery tickets for individual future weeks? I want to put a few X-Mas day draw tickets in some X-Mas cards I'm sending but I've no idea if you can actually request specific weeks or if it's only the upcoming week you can buy for.

It's a weird that you cant buy for specific dates. You can buy for the Saturday in advance ( IE a ticket bought for the following Saturday on the Sunday after the a Saturday draw), but that's it as far as I can tell.

Shit, that's what I thought. Seems odd but then again this is the first time I've ever felt the need to do it in however many years its been running.

Shit, that's what I thought. Seems odd but then again this is the first time I've ever felt the need to do it in however many years its been running.

Just thinking again, you can have them run for a number of weeks, but nothing on specific dates. That pushes the cost of something that is a nice thought up considerably now is 2 pounds a game. Worth seeing if you can do the post code/health lottery for specific dates?

Just thinking again, you can have them run for a number of weeks, but nothing on specific dates. That pushes the cost of something that is a nice thought up considerably now is 2 pounds a game. Worth seeing if you can do the post code/health lottery for specific dates?

I think I'll just do the lottery tickets for people who I'll be hand delivering to, that way I can wait til the week before to buy them. If someone wins I'll have some explaining to do!

Archived