Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Deontay Wilder has hit the headlines today for the wrong reasons, but im a little confused by it all.

Basically everyone's reporting that about him saying 'I want a body on my record, i want to kill someone in the ring' on a recent radio broadcast or something along them lines, but Deontay said exactly the same thing before the Stiverne fight and not a lot was said about it, we even discussed it here i think. Feels like im going through some kind of Mandela Effect situation. Tons of big media sources have picked up on it.

Tony Bellew has jumped on it too...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/deontay-wilder-wants-to-kill-opponent-tony-bellew-absolute-disgrace-anthony-joshua-a8282966.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpEN5ZqbjgU

There's the original time he said it, back in November ^

• Paid Members

Like most people can't help but feel that the ref. prevented any kind of fight to actually breakout. Not intentional but it definitely aided Joshua's cause.

That David Price KO though. I feel bad that I didn't think it was a terrible idea going in, scary shit.

• Paid Members

Price should pack it in now. That was a scary KO. He was out on his feet from the previous punch and to be honest Povetkin could have knocked him down with a feather at that point. 

To be fair to the ref in the main event all either of them did in close was hold. He split them up and got them boxing again. Perhaps he was over eager a couple of times but that's all. It certainly aided Joshua though. 

• Paid Members

Decent fight that. Nothing amazing but it had its moments. Joshua finally goes the distance. Probably a good idea that he came in leaner for this in hindsight with it going 12. 

Povetkin vs Price was great fun but man that KO was sickening. Like Lion said, the right stopped him dead in his tracks and he was just staring off into the distance when that huge left came booming in and wiped him the fuck out. Sad to see because he seems such a nice bloke but it's hard to see how he comes back from that. Nor do I want to see him try. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

To be fair to the ref in the main event all either of them did in close was hold. He split them up and got them boxing again. Perhaps he was over eager a couple of times but that's all. It certainly aided Joshua though. 

It was the over eagerness of it which was frustrating. There was one moment in round 5 i think it was where it seemed like Parker saw red and barraged forward, Joshua responded by throwing back, it was messy but the ref. broke them up and seemed to warn them for fighting, just bizarre. I said previously, it aided AJ because he said the gameplan was to stick behind the jab and box, and the ref. kept the right at the range he wanted all night. 

Something else i found strange was Parker insistence on attacking AJ's body. Early on i could understand it, plus i understood him trying to work it on the inside (which he was stopped from doing), but when his primary attack was to throw big body shots late into the fight when it was clear that he was behind on the cards, it just felt like poor decision making.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed the main event. Like others have said, there weren't really any fireworks or big talking points past the ref's performance, but it was an intriguing fight from start to finish. It was good to see A.J. show he can go the distance if required too.

I have to say  was fearing the worse after Price was put down. The replays showed just how brutal it was and even the first right had turned off the lights, never mind the follow up.