Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

All the fun in this build up has been outside of the actual boxers

That's definitely true of this fight. Joshua doesn't go in for trash talk unless the opponent does and Parker just seems like a nice laid back Kiwi. The promoters have had to step it up really or there would've been zero build up. Abc they've done a good job. I think it helps Parker that his promoter David Higgins and his trainer Kevin Barry can talk for days. 

This is worth a watch if anyone missed it. It's Eddie Hearn and David Higgins doing a 'Gloves Are Off' style sitdown; 

• Paid Members

I still find it weird that so many people dislike Eddie Hearn. I know he's like a bit of a pantomime villain these days (despite being associated with the fan favorite) but there's some genuine dislike in there along with it.

From reading boxing forums, the impression I get is that some fans feel that Hearn and SKY have dumbed down the boxing audience in recent years. Also, some feel that British boxing was better in the 00's before he became the continent's lead promoter. Of course, some like Wand just think he's a smug git. 

Personally, I like Eddie. There's no denying that he struck gold with Joshua and the Groves/Froch rivalry. He also has SKY's backing, which counts for a lot. But he does have some merit himself. He is very good at getting the word out there. He usually does it first-hand as well. This week has been overkill, but his videos on IFL are usually worth watching. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've got no issue with his promoting. He's done a great job. I just find him smarmy and get sick of seeing him everywhere all the time. But he can't win with me because if he wasn't everywhere all the time he wouldn't be much of a promoter, would he? 

It doesn't help that ever since he said recently that he looks like Dana White with hair, I can't unsee that now. That hasn't exactly done wonders for his likeability with me. 

23 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

From reading boxing forums, the impression I get is that some fans feel that Hearn and SKY have dumbed down the boxing audience in recent years

Dumbed it down?  Boxing has always attracted an assortment of shaven headed two can Van Damme troglodytes, I thought a lot of them have buggered off to MMA, or UFC as they think the sport is called.  Mind you, it's SKY, they need something else for PDC Darts fans.

Keith Houchen, (Scouserphobe). i get the impression you dont like scousers. How can anyone not like David Price? Possibly the nicest man ever in boxing! 

The thing about Hearn is he thinks he can dictate who fights who. Take Joshua out of matchroom and his stable is quite feeble, especially if Haye chins Bellew. 

I love Higgins, not the bloke from Magnum but Parkers promoter. He’s money!

• Paid Members

I've enjoyed Higgins in the build up as well. I don't think I'd ever clapped eyes on him before the press conference for this fight but he's been worth listening to throughout this build up and he's raised some valid and interesting points. 

Parker comes off as a proper sound guy to me as well. He's not someone I've followed outside the ring before so only really knew him from his fights but the stuff I've seen if him the last few weeks has made me warm to him. There's been a thing on Sky called 'In Camp with Joseph Parker' or something on this week and he came off well on that, as did his trainer Kevin Barry. 

Parker and his trainer seem top notch people, i love Higgins voice and directness. I think Joshua will be to much for Parker, just on size alone, but Parker seems cool as a cucumber. Would love Price to KO that cheating steroid rat Povetkin, ( things really need to change in boxing), but i see Price getting KO’d unfortunately. Canelo, ban him for a yr or two to make an example. Like Bellew says, it should be a thing the police look into if boxers are caught, putting lives in danger. 

Just settling down to Cotto Margorito 2. Only in boxing could a scumbag get caught putting hardened plaster under his gloves and nearly blinding Cotto but yet fight a yr later. Loved Cottos cold stare after the stoppage. Cotto, possibly the coolest boxer ever.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Margarito should've been banned but I'm actually glad they let him fight on because Cotto battering him to a pulp was one of the sweetest revenge fights ever. It was great to see one of boxing's true good guys get to put right that wrong. 

7 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Like Bellew says...

"I just wanna get home safe to me beautiful kids"

"It's as simple as thah"

"I'm gonna be completely honest with you"

"It is what it is"

"And that's a fact"

• Paid Members

Dave Higgins isnt as weird as i initially though, he just has a really strange voice. All of Parkers camp come off as likable characters. Hearns admitted so in the build up and has been playing it for laughs. The Sky Sports build up packages have been excellent.

• Paid Members

Yeah, when it comes to big fight build up and they really go to town with the coverage, Sky are the daddies when it comes to boxing and it's not even close. 

I love that Box Nation exists because it just means we get to see more quality fights. But Sky pisses all over them from a great height with their pre-fight build up coverage and overall presentation. I think Channel 5's production values on their boxing is better than Warren's as well, to be honest. 

Edited by wandshogun09