Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I guess those trips Haye was taking to Germany were not just part of the procedure. I had Haye up by 2 or 3 rounds before his leg went. I have to give credit to Bellew though, he made an argument for winning two of those early rounds. He surpassed my expectations by just making it to round 6. The last few rounds were surreal. Bellew was gassed, and Haye was mostly a sitting duck. I still half expected Haye to land something massive, or at least last the distance. 

I'm not quite sure what to make of it all, but it was one a heck of a spectacle. 

• Paid Members

As my first live boxing event that was insane. The atmosphere is unlike anything I've experienced. Just buzzing. The result obviously played a huge part in that.

I had Bellew up by 1 in the 6th. Didn't even think he'd get that far. Don't care about the niceties at the end by Haye where he was literally begging for a rematch. His pre fight talk made this result even sweet. He can kiss goodbye to his career and a Joshua fight. One of he most overhyped fighters out there.

• Paid Members

I'm not quite sure what to make of it all, but it was one a heck of a spectacle.

Thats probably the best way to sum it up. It was far from a classic, but in terms of drama it was great entertainment.

Its a shame Haye hurt or re-hurt foot because we didn't really get a fair conclusion but it made for compelling viewing. Bellew punching himself out trying to finish it was just another twist to the tale.

Thought the bro-mance at the end was a bit much though. They all but admitted all the hype/feud was to sell PPV's. I think everyones already in on that but there's no need to be so open about it. Haye's refusal to mention any injury had to be a direct result of him not wanting anymore abuse like he got after the Wlad. fight, though i dont think many people would hold it against him if he did, he showed immense bravery.

• Paid Members

Particularly lost my shit for the fight because I put some good coin on, what I felt, mental odds for Bellew - 3/1 for a knockdown and I got 5/1 for him to win the fight.

Despite the loss - which without question damages Haye's career for the next couple of years, should he be able to claw some momentum back - Haye should get a lot of credit for plowing through.

• Paid Members

Some places paying as high as 8/1 on a Bellew win, mental. I had an inkling he might do it, wish I had the balls to throw some money at it. Has to be up there with Klitschko/Fury as one of the biggest upsets in recent memory. Don't even think their odds were as far apart.

I'm a casual boxing fan, don't really like heavyweight boxing, dislike Haye even more but that was high drama last night. Edge of the seat viewing from the injury on.

It was the most bizarre fight ever, and you have to give Haye credit for carrying on, even though I think his corner should've stopped that a long time before the 11th, for his own sake.

Think Joshua would annihilate both of them. Essentially Bellew couldn't knock out (could barely hit) an immobile fighter who couldn't move off the ropes and couldn't hit back. He really shouldn't have been bragging that much.

But yeah great drama, and the atmosphere was electric when Hayes leg went. Thought it was knee at first, as it looked like he couldn't bend it.

• Paid Members

It was a massive win for Bellew but like Bacon says on the last page, Haye was one legged for half the fight and Bellew couldn't put him away for a fucking age. I know they've got to promote him but the way they were all going on like Bellew did something amazing or had some incredible performance was a bit much for me. It was fairly even before Haye's leg fucked up, and Haye had a strong 4th round before the injury in the 5th (I think it was the 5th?). Fair play to Bellew for taking the shots he took early off Haye when he's not even a legit heavyweight but you can't just gloss over Haye's injury and act like Bellew won clean cut.

I kind of want to see a rematch just because it feels like we never really got a true reflection on how the fight would go. But the way they were licking each other's arse after the fight, I don't think I can stomach them manufacturing more fake beef in the run up to a second fight.

Hearn giving it the old "Alright geezer, after beating David Haye I reckon you could fight Deontay Wilder or Joseph Parker next, san. Up the apples and pears, have a banana" bit to Bellew after the fight was almost comical. Haye is at the smaller end of heavyweight, was operating on one leg most of the fight so couldn't move out of the way of a lot of Bellew's punches and couldn't generate much power at all on his own punches, was a sitting duck for about 6 rounds and Bellew just about got round to getting the stoppage. That doesn't mean he can mix it with real heavyweights now. If Bellew just wants to get home safe to his kiddies like he's always saying then maybe he should stay in his own division.

Eggington stopping Paulie was bittersweet as I like both. Happy to see Eggington get that big name win but it was deflating seeing Paulie get put down.

Oh and does anyone else find Katie Taylor's voice nails on a blackboard irritating to listen to? She sounds like what I imagine a teenage Conor McGregor sounded like when his voice was in the midst of breaking.

Edited by wandshogun09

Nothing should be taken away from Bellew for that performance. He did what was needed. Wilder is a winnable fight despite the size difference, he swings like a windmill and as soon as he meets someone who is a quality operater and not an ex football player or basketball player who started boxing in their 20's he will lose. Wilder is an absoloute joke, he must be approaching his 40th fight and the biggest name on his record is Stiverne. Wilder is everything bad about boxing, he is the so called world heavyweight champion and gets away with fighting bums.

Nothing should be taken away from Bellew for that performance. He did what was needed. Wilder is a winnable fight despite the size difference, he swings like a windmill and as soon as he meets someone who is a quality operater and not an ex football player or basketball player who started boxing in their 20's he will lose. Wilder is an absoloute joke, he must be approaching his 40th fight and the biggest name on his record is Stiverne. Wilder is everything bad about boxing, he is the so called world heavyweight champion and gets away with fighting bums.

I'm not a big believer in the Heavyweight version of Bellew. However, your analysis of Wilder is mostly spot-on. Joshua's resume isn't the best, but at least he's in the process of rectifying it by fighting Wlad. I'm also more convinced of Joshua's abilities than Wilder's. I don't expect Joshua to be blitzed by Wlad next month. The second Wilder faces someone decent, I think he'll come undone. 

Heavyweight Champions fighting bums is nothing new though. While the standard has improved in recent years, it was a poor division in terms of quality for a long time before that. Especially after Lewis retired, and Vitali went on hiatus for the first time. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

It was a massive win for Bellew but like Bacon says on the last page, Haye was one legged for half the fight and Bellew couldn't put him away for a fucking age. I know they've got to promote him but the way they were all going on like Bellew did something amazing or had some incredible performance was a bit much for me. It was fairly even before Haye's leg fucked up, and Haye had a strong 4th round before the injury in the 5th (I think it was the 5th?). Fair play to Bellew for taking the shots he took early off Haye when he's not even a legit heavyweight but you can't just gloss over Haye's injury and act like Bellew won clean cut.

yeh, i see what you're saying but i don't think many people predicted it being fairly even after 4 rounds. Bellew won the first couple for me and then Haye seemed to be taking over but Haye didn't really put a dent in Bellew pre-injury and that really surprised me.

I think it's safe to say that Haye isn't the force he once was, Bellew seemed to know that in build-up but Haye did a great job of promoting himself and made people believe he still was the fighter of old, that's what led to 8/1 type odds. Bellew questioned Haye's injuries and continually questioned the level of Haye's opposition since his return, Bellew must have had some insider knowledge that Haye wasn't in the condition he lead everyone to believe. Great drama though, it's all the behind the scenes type stuff that makes the game so fascinating...and as much as Haye was a cunt in the build-up i actually felt a little sorry for him at times, after the first knockdown he looked like he wanted to cry.

Did anyone think McGuigan should have pulled Haye out after the 6th? At the time i was shouting for him to pull Haye out because he was a sitting duck, i got into an argument with my mate because he believed Haye should carry on because Bellew's punches weren't doing significant damage, my mate was sort of proved right becase Bellew's blown his load and couldn't really capitalise but it was very dangerous to send Haye out from that point on. If Bellew had landed a bomb on Haye and put him out McGuigan would have been put to the sword.

I rewatched the bits of it today and there's a great little moment where Bellew noticed Haye's foot had gone. I noticed as soon as Bellew got bundled to the ground and it panned to a wide shot where Haye was shakey on his legs. The replays shows Haye going over on his foot as Bellew went down. The first time his foot went was actually just before that and Bellew noticed it. He pointed and grinned at Haye as he limped away from it.