Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Regarding David Price:

I remember when both he and Fury were up and coming prospects. The general feeling was that Price was the better of the two, and that Fury was too chinny to be world class. There were even some accusations that Fury ducked Price. Some compared Fury to Butterbean after his fights with John McDermott. While Price looked like a killer while ripping through Audley and Sam Sexton. 

Personally, I didn't foresee the shift in momentum between the two. I was never a believer in Fury until he made a mess out of Del Boy in their rematch, and even then, I didn't fancy him to last 6 rounds with Wlad. With Price, I was always a bit cynical, but I certainly had more faith in him than I did Fury. By the time Frank Maloney was reduced to tears when Price was stopped by Thompson for the 2nd time, I began to wonder if Price's career would ever recover properly. Right now, it looks like it won't. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Nah, he's likely done with regards to making a run at a belt, he just lacks a

A certain physical makeup that's required in heavyweight boxing, its a similar case to Audley Harrison.

Many people questioned Price's physical condition going in to the Hammer fight as wellthough. He was the second heaviest of his career and his stamina let him down big time.

I read an interview with Prices trainer and he said he was sparring 12 rounds no problem and the weight wasnt an issue. He came in bulked up a bit as it was increasing his punch resistance and power. He said the reason Price gassed was as he had so much nervous energy heading into the fight that after the first round he was struggling. It seems Price just gets to nervous before big fights and this just drains him of bis energy. Well that's their story, i believe it myself, you can even see after he destroyed Audley how relieved he was straight after the fight. Can't handle the pressure.

I kinda think Fury did duck Price early on tbh, Price had already beat him in the amatuers and was on such a role at the time. In hindsight you would fancy Fury but at that time Price would have been the favourite.

Especially when you compare how they handled Big John.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

I was never a believer in Fury until he made a mess out of Del Boy in their rematch

That was an awful fight. And if I remember right it came at the end of one of those interminably long and tiresome Frank Fish Eyes cards that went on forever. Is it even over yet?

That was an awful fight. And if I remember right it came at the end of one of those interminably long and tiresome Frank Fish Eyes cards that went on forever. Is it even over yet?

Correct.

I found out I was to become an Uncle on that evening, so I remember it well. The fucker didn't end until around 1am. 

I cant seperate the two.

Martin Rogan is the finest pugilist of the era regardless.

Sprott has wins over Rogan, Audley, Williams, and Skelton.

He's the G.O.A.T!

Edited by jimufctna24

I was trying to remember where I knew the name Bobby Gunn from, google gave me the answer. He is that gypsy bare knuckle fighter who Enzo Maccarinelli fought/destroyed in one round. In a bloody world title defense too. Last I heard he was trying to fight James Quinn in a field in Ireland years ago and instead now he is fighting RJJ.