Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Johnny Nelson is estimating more than 50k "easily" I think Johnny has bought into the Eubank's sales pitch. There's no question that Eubank Snr is a massive name in boxing, and the Eubank name carries weight. But I don't think it carries that much weight where people are going to pay through the nose to see Jr fight no names. 

I'm in two minds. I want it to do well in the sense that I want ITV to stay in the game. However, if it does do well, it could open the floodgates for more fights being put behind a paywall. 

• Paid Members

A lot of people are knocking English for having himself on the poster and banging on about the Eubank legacy, but i have absolutely no issue with that, it's a smart promotional touch. I imagine the broadcast will feature some old school Eubank footage and the like.

Bottom line is they are asking PPV money for a nothing fight, that's the issue. I usually fork out for PPV on Sky and i rarely complain like most others do but i wont be buying the Eubank on PPV simply on principal that it means they'll expect to stick everything on PPV going forward. If Eubank Jr. plans to fight 3-4 times this year, does that mean they are all going to be on PPV?

DeGale usually falls asleep for too many rounds. He goes to the cards crossing his fingers, when he really should be a staple of confidence. The bookies have got him as a modest favourite for Saturday. I favour him very slightly. On previous form, a close verdict seems to be the safest bet.

• Paid Members

Canelo v Chavez has been announced. I like it, i don't know why. It's beyond crazy that Chavez is getting a big payday but two huge Mexican names fighting near a Mexican holiday is spectacle.

I'm not claiming Canelo anyway ducks people (stunned he fought Trout and Lara when he did) but it may be a blessing he misses out fighting the Charlo Twins and Andrade before a mega fight with GGG. 

I would put DeGale as the favourite tonight. Jack has had a few scrape victories and been helped as much as he can with matchmaking.

There are a few good fights on the undercard. Jose Pedraza defends his super featherweight title against undefeated Mayweather prodigy, Gervonta Davis. Ievgen Khytrov fights Immanuwel Aleem. Both are undefeated. Khytrov is great to watch, like a Ukrainian Golovkin who will take over the middleweight division.

Great fight to start the year with. A draw seemed like a fair result. DeGale clearly won the opening round, and had a stake to claim rounds 2 and 3. Jack then came back and took almost all of the middle rounds (other than 7, which I scored for DeGale). Then DeGale finished better late on winning 9-11. Jack obviously won the 12th. In retrospect, the knockdown in the 12th was a pisser. If DeGale had just remained on his feet, he would have won the fight, even if he would have lost the round. 

Jack is a bad fucker though. I don't think I've seen DeGale in that much trouble before. In terms of damage, Jack was the clear winner, but that is not always how the game is decided. Floyd seemed keen for Jack to move up in weight. If so, there probably won't be a rematch. That means that DeGale will probably fight Smith next. Although personally, I would love to see him fight Groves in another unification bout, provided Groves beats Chudinov. 

DeGale's fight is going to be one of those what if moments. He was 3 minutes away from stardom if it wasn't for that knockdown.

Eating my words over Khytrov. Wobbled in the first round, he came back a force in the 2nd. Then he kept pressurising Aleem until Khytrov got knocked down in the 3rd round. Khytrov came back even stronger, throwing 120 punches a round, then 140 punches a round. The 6th looked like more of the same until Khytrov's old foe head movement let him down again and Aleem dropped him once more. Aleem then threw the kitchen sink at Khytrov and stopped him. Crazy fight.

Another US star was born in Gervonta Davis. Started off strong against Pedraza with pin point punching accuracy which followed through the rounds. Pedraza started to work around the 4th, making this weird noise everytime he landed a punch or got hit. Davis came back, landed some telling shots in the 6th and stopped Pedraza in the 7th. First time Pedraza had tasted the canvas and lost his title.

• Paid Members

Excellent show that, the 3 fights shown were all full of quality action.

I don't know how i scored DeGale/Jack but it was a great fight, in my head i think i had Jack edging it before the 12th so i thought he was definitely picking up the decision, i was happy with a draw though, DeGale was in a state afterwards.