Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

That IFL interview confirmed for me once and for all that Eubank SR is unbearable. His views on boxing seem completely bizarre, sacking of the GGG fight on jr's behalf, purely down to a commentary issue is beyond dumb to me, his reason given still doesn't justify pissing away millions of cash and a huge fight. He manages to basically objectify his own kid, claiming he's the finished "product," he seems content in using this itv PPV deal as a positive spin for being such an arse to work with as both Warren and Hearn have claimed. 

I also find his weird obsession with pausing every few sentences to think of a 'big' word to use at the end of the sentence to make him seem more intellectual is one of the most irritating and embarrassing thing's on the planet.

The sad thing is Jr's an exciting fighter, I like watching him as do many others. He's such an easily marketable boxer, I'd go out on a limb and say he could be doing solid numbers headlining his own PPV's on Sky if Eddie had managed to promote him full-time. He's pretty much got th package, good look, exciting fights, dad's name to use etc. 

I dont think jnr is an exiting fighter, he's in watchable fights with lower lever fighters as he has the beating of them, he never fights for a full round and is able to get away with it with lesser fighters but as soon as he stepped up he lost, billy joe outworked him for the first 6 rounds and he wasnt able to cope. Wether thats because he struggled at the weight or not i dont know. He's overated as fuck. He has beaten no one top 5 or 10 ever really. People blame the old man but thats a cop out, he just isnt that good. I think he could take a dig but cant give one and has no engine either. The fact is he's been boxing for ages, beat no one and his big break is fighting someone no one has heard of for a shite boxing channel that no one will see. You can't live one potential alone. Im a bit pissed but i hope that makes sense. Funny shaped headcon that ifl in as well

• Paid Members

Sod the money and how big a fight it'd be. Eubank Sr shouldn't want his son anywhere near a fight with an animal like GGG. I'd question the quality of any parent wishing that upon their son. Jr should get on the phone to fucking Childline if Sr even suggests it.

I still love Sr. I don't care about the dramatic pauses and ludicrous words. He's always done that. He is crackers though. Or "a fucking salad" as Ebb might say :laugh: the way they're handling Jr's career seems like a complete and utter shambles but I can't hate Eubank. I just can't.

Jr should probably start sitting in on the negotiations from now on though, at least. This ITV PPV thing is going to bomb. Had to smile at Jr during that IFL interview going 'this isn't just for boxing fans. We're exposing this to a wider audience. This is for 10 year old kids. This is for old ladies...'. Yeah because I'm sure loads of grannies are going to be throwing their £20 notes down to watch this. I honestly don't know what ITV are thinking agreeing to this. I'd have thought the way to do it would be to have this Eubank's first couple of fights on ITV1 in a prime time slot on a Saturday night and advertise the fuck out of it. Then if and when you have something people might pay for, like a Saunders rematch or the Golovkin suicide mission or whatever, stick that on ITV PPV if they're insisting on charging for boxing. They'll probably do 4 buys on this.

There's a show on ITV 4 pencilled in for late January. It features some decent prospects. I presume they will use that to promote the heck out of the Eubank PPV. It won't work though. Without an established name. only committed boxing fans will watch the ITV 4 show, and even they don't seem keen on paying for it. I would expect the Eubanks to turn up on This Morning and other ITV shows leading up to the event, but the £20 price tag will probably negate even the most clever of promotional tactics. 

I actually didn't mind Eubank Sr demanding that Barry McGuigan be lead commentator. It was an unreasonable demand, but I found it too amusing to get annoyed by it. I always remember Barry as being more of a pundit than a commentator. Eubank Sr is bonkers, but as said, he's still quite likeable in a way. 

• Paid Members

McGuigan did commentate on some of Eubank's fights in the heyday. He was definitely at the commentary table for Eubank's first fight with Benn in 1990. So Eubank must have a soft spot for him based on that.

ITV must be hoping the Eubank name alone will sell it, which is very optimistic. It'd be one thing if they had somehow got that Chris Eubank Sr vs Nigel Benn old man fight sorted. Then had say Eubank Jr vs Saunders 2 and a Conor Benn fight on the same bill. I genuinely think they could sell that on ITV PPV. But Eubank Jr vs some jabroni with a piss weak undercard for £20 is going to be woeful. It's not like in the 90s when ITV were showing all the big domestic fights until Sky Sports got involved. In 2017 there are plenty of places for boxing fans to get their fix. This Eubank PPV thing is probably going to be weaker than the free to air shows Channel 5 put out. When you think we got Golovkin vs Murray on 5. And they're charging as much or more for a Eubank squash match than Sky Box Office charged for Joshua's last few fights. They're delusional.

ITV must be hoping the Eubank name alone will sell it, which is very optimistic. 

Aye. ITV must have bought into Eubank Sr's sales pitch.

Eubank Sr wanted the Nick Blackwell fight to headline on Sky Box Office. Obviously, all involved told him to naff off. This was one of the main reasons why Eubank's team cut ties with Matchroom and Sky. There's also a chance that George Groves's next World Title bid will be shown free on Channel 5. That puts things into further perspective. 

• Paid Members

Has there been a reason why he's moving up in weight? Usually with hype-jobs they get a legit world title fight, lose then whine that they were being drained and have to move up to fight at their natural weight.

The whole IBO title thing primarily feels like a bargaining chip. The Eubanks want to own a belt to help clinch fights down the line. That's a smart strategy, and for a first fight on ITV i have no issue with who they've gone for. The PPV thing just ruins it though, i cant fathom how they wouldn't put this on freeview to introduce Eubank to the channel.

Im looking forward to the advertising though, English probably had his hands all over it.

• Paid Members

:laugh:

What the actual fuck is wrong with him? As much as I laugh at his antics I really think he needs his head checking by a professional. His cheese fell off its cracker a long time ago.

Edit - apparently that clip is from 2014! How did I miss it at the time?

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeh i remember seeing that when it first came out, i can't believe Klitschko was never drawn into actually throwing punches at Briggs.

I'd recommend Shannon Briggs podcast with Joe Rogan, he's got a hell of a story and comes off as such a likeable and humble guy. Briggs boxing career is pretty much secondary now to the character he's created, i love the guy.

• Paid Members

Yeah I listened to that a few weeks back. He's nuts but he's a loveable nut.

I loved the bit when he was on about Haye;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=yNyViE_8riM

"I'm from Brownsville. I can smell when you scared. I'm from the same neighbourhood as Mike Tyson and Riddick Bowe. I know when a man scared. I went up on him, Joe. I looked in his eyes, I seen his lips, he was trembling. He was scared, I could smell it, I was like OOOH! This is a layup. This is a layup champ!"