Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah and also with Sky having Haye vs Bellew and Joshua vs Klitschko over the next couple of months, Box Nation could do with some big fights on the schedule.

I can see Khan giving Pac a good fight as well. It'll be interesting to see how Pacquiao handles Khan's speed. It's a rare thing that Pacquiao is the slower man in the ring but I think that might be the case this time. Pac's got the power but at the same time it's not like it used to be 7-8 years ago. It's a hell of a fight.

Haye looked fed up for most of that. It was hard to tell whether he was fed up with Bellew or the format. I assume it was a bit of both. 

Elsewhere, I don't think Pacquiao is going to stop Khan. However, I am willing to wager that Khan will hit the canvas at some point. Pacquiao has scored knockdowns on Bradley, Vargas and Algieri in recent times. Khan almost always has a stage in his fights where he becomes unglued, even if he eventually recovers. 

• Paid Members

I think Khan's level of technique and speed gives him a certain advantage in setting up counters against Pacquiao's aggressive stepping forward, but it's a dangerous game he's playing if he does that, because chances are he gets caught at least once, and with his glass jaw, that would most likely be the end of it for him.

• Paid Members

I don't know anything about boxing, but is Bellew only getting the push because of that "Creed" film? Sorry if I offend anybody.

Not really, Bellew was popular before the movie. The role certainly didn't hurt and might have had something to do with him securing a World Title shot at Goodison though, but he went in and a won a World Title fair and square and he's defended it since so he's justified his position.

The Haye fight is happening purely because it makes sense from a business sense. Bellew might get stick and he's been guilty of having his fights not live upto the hype but there's no denying he can sell fuck out of a fight.

Edited by Egg Shen

It's been a while since I watched boxing, but how is Amir Khan these days? The last thing I saw was he got sparked out by some nobody a few years back.

Well he was sparked by Prescott a long, long time ago but hes also been sparked by Garcia and canelo alvarez (both current champs). He only seems to fight occasionally but i would say hes still good. Just as more of a fringe contender than a world beater. Hes pretty much beeb fighting forner chamos and contenders whilst calling iut the big names. Its heavily implied he will be fighting pacqiaou next, but a few weeks ago it was an unknown aussie who claimed to have the pac man fight.

I think Bellew will get knocked out ib the first half of the Haye fight,which is a shame because I much prefer his shit talking in the build up.

Edited by HeavyT

• Paid Members

did anyone see Deontay Wilder/Gerald Washington on the weekend?

Wilder was mightily un-impressive, soundly outboxed for 4 rounds against a relative novice in Washington before landing a haymaker in round 5 and winning the fight. He's so limited but just has ridiculous fight ending power, he's exciting if nothing else. He's a superstar in Alabama too, first time ive ever seen anyone get a pop for thanking god in the post-fight speech.

Dominic Breazeale/Izuagbe Ugonoh had a cracking 3 rounds brawl on the undercard with boy guys hitting the deck. Ugonoh looks a real prospect but seemed to punch himself out laying into Breazeale who's granite tough, Ugonoh is a nasty body puncher. Breazeale won via KO in the end but it was a war of a fight. All signs point toward a Wilder/Breazeale fight next which seems a bit of a cop out for Wilder but i'd be up for it. Breazeale was soundly beaten by AJ but there's something about him i like. Apparently both Wilder/Breazeale got into a post fight scuffle too at the hotel.

Wilder looks like a complete novice, was a terrible fight from that pointvof view, but hes interesting to watch.

IFL has loads of footage and interviews from the press conference yesterday. Bellew alludes to Haye being on PEDS, saying since the VADA testing has come in he has started shrinking.

Hope Derry Matthews wallops Ohara Davies, he reminds me of a poundshop Broner, which is bad.

• Paid Members

ESPN had Wilder up 3-1 going into the 5th round. I wonder what fight they were watching. At best, it was an even fight.

I had Washington easily winning 1-3 and possibly the 4th too.