Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Gervonta Davis will be defending his World Title against Liam Walsh in London on May 20th. Davis you may recall was the little guy who looked like a million bucks on the DeGale/Jack undercard, proper superstar potential.

This boxing schedule is getting ridiculous.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Oh yeh, i wrote the wrong name down. Davis is fighting Liam Walsh.

Liam Smith is fighting Liam Williams (from Wales) which is a fight im looking forward as much as any at the moment.

Lots of Liam's about.

• Paid Members

Just watched David Lemieux left hand destroy Curtis Stevens in a fun fight that ended in the 3rd. Stevens got knocked out cold for around 2 minutes underneath the ropes with his arm on a announce table. A few thing left me feeling abit cold about the whole thing...

- It took ages for medical team to get too him. Stretcher was struggling to get thru from the back.

- The announcers (HBO international broadcast team?) showed ZERO emotion to Stevens as he laid there.

- HBO wouldn't take a camera off his mother as she stood at the side off the ring. 

- The ring just fills up with every fucking Tom,Dick and Harry. Seriously who are these people? David with his team one corner and Stevens just laid there with medics then just a bunch off fucking nobodys stood dead center.

- A camera angle shows Stevens trainer just casually sitting far side off ring seconds after his man is brutally K.O.

Just all very bizzare and cold.    

Edit - OH AND FUCKING BELT POSITIONING!!! I'm sick off seeing some overweight slob behind fighters as they get their hand raised moving the fucking straps so their org can be seen. 

Edited by Fox Piss

Just watched David Lemieux left hand destroy Curtis Stevens in a fun fight that ended in the 3rd. Stevens got knocked out cold for around 2 minutes underneath the ropes with his arm on a announce table. A few thing left me feeling abit cold about the whole thing...

- It took ages for medical team to get too him. Stretcher was struggling to get thru from the back.

- The announcers (HBO international broadcast team?) showed ZERO emotion to Stevens as he laid there.

- HBO wouldn't take a camera off his mother as she stood at the side off the ring. 

- The ring just fills up with every fucking Tom,Dick and Harry. Seriously who are these people? David with his team one corner and Stevens just laid there with medics then just a bunch off fucking nobodys stood dead center.

- A camera angle shows Stevens trainer just casually sitting far side off ring seconds after his man is brutally K.O.

Just all very bizzare and cold.    

Edit - OH AND FUCKING BELT POSITIONING!!! I'm sick off seeing some overweight slob behind fighters as they get their hand raised moving the fucking straps so their org can be seen. 

I noticed it at the time and Buncey & studio guests picked up on it, they left Stevens mouth guard in. Surely that must be the first thing to do take it out if a fighters out cold

Literally zero head movement from Curtis Stevens in that fight. He had a high guard up which Lemieux split so easily.

Also watched Jamie Conlan's fight from Friday night. He was getting bossed around the ring, got knocked down, nasty cut above his eye. Still won though as he was in his hometown. He's an exciting fighter but scrapes through everytime. The amount of scar tissue he's going to have is never going to heal with all the punishment he takes.

• Paid Members

Yeah, very close that was. I had GGG edging it just but I wouldn't have complained at all if they scored it to Jacobs. That knockdown turned out to be crucial for me as I only had Golovkin one point up and that's what swung it for him. Couldn't really split a few of the rounds though so I could see the argument either way. People are screaming robbery on twitter like it's the worst decision ever but I don't see that.

The Roman Gonzalez vs Rungvisai fight was fanfuckingtastic though! Incredible fight and a huge upset for Rungvisai. Taking Gonzalez's 0, his title and scoring a first round knockdown in an absolutely tremendous fight. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend giving it a watch.

To think, we very VERY nearly had arguably the two best active fighters on the planet losing in back to back fights last night. Imagine that if both Gonzalez and Golovkin lost? What were the odds if you bet on that? You'd be well cashed up.

Edit - oh and it makes me very happy that there's talk of Billy Joe Saunders fighting Golovkin next in June in Kazakhstan. He's going to get obliterated.

Edited by wandshogun09

They reckon Jacobs weighed nearly 180 by the fight. Never seen Golovkin look so normal. Alvarez would also weigh that if they fought. I would fancy Alvarez over GGG. The time is definately now for the fight. Forget Saunders, if Alvarez gets through a huge Chavez, they have to fight in November. GGG got 2.5 million $ for that last night, he'd get 20 after all bonuses for the Alvarez fight.

• Paid Members

I've read a few articles today that are very quick to name this as the beginning of the end for Golovkin, which is mad. As Porkchopcash points out, the size difference was very apparent and, while Golovkin didn't dominate, he still did enough for the win.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's ridiculous. It's the first time he's gone the distance in 20 something fights, for fuck's sake. He goes to a decision against a bigger guy and it's the start of some decline? Nah. I guess GGG's set the bar so high with that long streak of knockouts that winning a close decision is seen as him losing it but I think that's way premature and a proper overreaction. You can't massacre everyone all the time. And to be honest, putting it down to a Golovkin decline is doing Jacobs a disservice. He deserves credit for testing Golovkin the way he did, to the point where you could argue him getting the decision. There were points where Golovkin took his foot off the gas but I think the fight being so close has a little something to do with Jacobs as well.

Fucking laughable if people are really citing this as proof of GGG slipping. Having a close competitive fight doesn't mean you're on your last legs. It just means you're human.

The time is definately now for the fight. Forget Saunders, if Alvarez gets through a huge Chavez, they have to fight in November. 

I think the idea is for GGS to fight Saunders in June, with an eye on fighting Alvarez in November. GGG vs Jacobs was a bloody close fight. In the end, I gave it to GGG by a point, but I would probably have a different score if I re-watched it. Jacobs's stock went through the roof with that performance. 

Away from GGG vs Jacobs, I would recommend having a look at this guy's channel. This video he has done on the Heavyweight scene in the 1990's is excellent for those who want to learn more about that era, or perhaps want to take a trip down memory lane. His career recap of Andrew Golota is also well worth a watch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF2jfzBaDWo&t=2s

Edited by jimufctna24