Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

That was amazing. Felt like a throwback to the glory days of heavyweights really going at it. 

If that's it for Klitschko then despite the way it ended he went out on his shield in an incredible fight. Even though he was stopped, it's still a better note to finish on than his awful showing against Fury. 

That was the best result all round really. Joshua rolls on but he had to dig deep and show heart. And the potential fights with Fury, Wilder and whoever are still on course. 

• Paid Members

Unbelievable fight, had no idea what way it was going till the last minute or so. I was needing it to go the distance for £170 but even in the eleventh I was still sure it wasn't coming in. Joshua's the real deal, he could be dominating for years, the way the Klitchko's had been.

AJ is a beast no doubt about it but he was lucky to survive in the middle rounds there where maybe a younger more aggressive fighter may of taken advantage. 

If Wilder landed on him and then sustained the pressure would he last? 

I hope I'm wrong and Joshua really is the real deal but I'm still not compltley sold.

The fight was awesome though and absolutely fair play to both of them. What a great fight and great comeback by Joshua. Really the best result for Boxing in the long run.

Edit: I say lucky to survive but that's taking nothing away from what was an great night for him and he really did dig deep. 

Edited by Bradyisgod22

I would be very confident in Joshua's chances against Parker and Wilder. A.J has his shortcomings, but Wilder is just waiting to be exposed. He's looked dreadful at times, and against mediocre opponents. I really like Parker, but he's not highly rated. Thomas Hauser in particular had a right whinge when he won a version of the Heavyweight title, saying that a prime David Tua would run through him. 

Fury? I think that could go either way. Whatever is said about Fury as a person, he's one heck of a Heavyweight. He also has his shortcomings - he was dropped by a blown-up Crusierweight in Steve Cunningham - but he's a tricky fighter. As Wlad found out some 18 months ago, and Del Boy found out in their rematch. Also, while Fury is not that much of a puncher, he's probably got a better gas tank than A.J, and could steal rounds while A.J is having rest periods.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

I really like Parker, but he's not highly rated. Thomas Hauser in particular had a right whinge when he won a version of the Heavyweight title, saying that a prime David Tua would run through him. 

David Tua. There's a name you don't hear much anymore. He was a fun fighter to watch. Here he is murdering John Ruiz back in the day...

That's the first thing I think of when I hear Tua's name. Shame we never saw him vs Tyson in the 90s. 

• Paid Members

I imagine we'll be seeing a Klitschko rematch soon enough after that display.

Both men are monsters. As impressive as Joshua winning is after getting put on his arse, Klitschko ate some massive shots and got up twice. Actual dick-swinging men.

• Paid Members

Klitschko sounded to me like he was thinking of packing it in in the post-fight interview. He didn't really say anything but it's just a feeling I got listening to him. But yeah, if he can get the rematch he'll hang around for that payday no doubt.

Edited by wandshogun09

It's in his contract. He always has rematch clauses in his contract apparently, that he alone can trigger.

So, if he fancies it, he could probably do it one more time and then retire.

I'd rather not see it to be honest. I'd rather  the Joshua story went on, and he started facing Fury, Wilder etc.

I'm not sure what Joshua gains from fighting a 41 year old again. Maybe if he loses his next fight, have a big money rematch to get back on the horse.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'd rather not either. It sounds mad to say you don't want to see a rematch of one of the best heavyweight fights ever but I don't. I mean I'd obviously watch if it happens but the likelihood is they won't come close to repeating how good this fight was. For Klitschko there's the risk he gets caught earlier and goes out on 3 consecutive losses. And for Joshua, he scraped through this one, I'm not sure he'll fancy risking it again. It'd be different if he won on points and it was controversial. But after stopping Wlad like that, he'd probably rather move on to other things. 

• Paid Members

I think that Klitschko knew that his best chance of beating Joshua was the first time he fought him. It's hard to claim an experience advantage when you have lost. Joshua has the experience that counts now, and that's beating Wlad. 

What's more he had no excuses. He looked more motivated for this fight than he has for a lot of recent fights. He looked like he had a good training camp, he always does though, and he doesn't need the money a rematch brings. Match that with less of a chance of winning. Why take the rematch.