Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Chavez was dominated from start to finish.

Roll on September. I fancy Canelo over GGG but just slightly. Should be a classic.

The heavyweight division will never be fully unified again. All the governing bodies will have different rulings on various things. For example, Pulev is the number one contender for the IBF title, if AJ fights Klitchko in a rematch then he'll be stripped of the title unless Pulev is paid step aside money and gauranteed to fight the winner. Meanwhile Parker and Wilder will be defending their belts against other people. Thats 3 different champions for the forseeable future. 

• Paid Members

Joseph Parker was massively unimpressive Saturday. It was a huge heavyweight comedown after the Wembley show. Parker hasn't looked great in a while, and whilst i might give him a slight pass given the late notice replacement and the akwardness of the big fucker it didn't show me that Parker is really deserving of his position as WBO Champ.

That said, he may have done himself a favour because fighters are gonna be queuing up to get a crack that belt now. Outside of a AJ/Bellew payday fight, Parker is probably the most attractive fight for any heavyweight out there right now. A win over Parker will lead to that $$$ too, a man in demand.

• Paid Members

Canelo/Chavez was incredibly disappointing. It felt a bit of a mis-match going in but given Mexican pride and all that stuff you at least exepected some kind of battle. Chavez simply isn't anywhere near Canelo's level, there appeared to be times in the fight where Canelo sat the on the ropes and wanted Chavez to get into a bit of a tear up but it just never developed. It's never a good sign when you have two Mexican fighters fighting in front of a Mexican crowd on a Mexican holiday and there's boo's.

oooh! just saw that Canelo/GGG has been announced for September 16th though! outstanding.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Anyone watching any UK boxing this weekend? 

Kal Yafai defends his World Title in Brum on Sky.

Josh Warrington fights Kiko Martinez on BT. 

Both guys are at that sort of level where they haven't yet broken through into the publics conciousness but remain strong draws in their own markets. I'll prob watch Sky live and check out BT later.

• Paid Members

Kiko Martinez seems to be the guy that all the British guys at that weight use as a stepping stone towards world title fights.He has lost to Rendall Munroe twice, Frampton twice, and Quigg. Warrington should beat him, but I'm not sold on him as a world title challenger. Only 5 ko's in 24 fights is a worry.

Yafai shouldn't have much problem with Muranaka, first fight outside Japan for him and he is hardly top 10 material.

I don't know which I will watch yet but I am pretty sure whichever I watch will be the worse of the 2 fights.

• Paid Members

yeh, Martinez is pretty much locked in as a UK gatekeeper, it's a usual trick from promoters to try and get someone to beat someone in a better way than someone already has...obviously in most cases you get the fighter in a more faded state so it's a smart if somewhat decieving tactic.

I am shocked that Kiko Martinez is only 31 though, i was under the impression that he was pushing 40. Should a decent test for Warrington though who still divides opinion.

Both shows, especially Leeds though should have hot atmospheres.

Yafai will never break through, he's a solid fighter but Birmingham on a whole have to be the shittest fans in the UK on a p4p basis.... of all sports, theres just no passion there, on a large scale i mean, considering the size and location of the place. Hearn said tomorrow have sold 6k and nearly all the tickets have been sold by the fighters, it's just not a sporting city. 

WWE do twice that twice a year.

Eggingtons always good value, Gavin sends me to sleep unless in with Eggington. 

Warrington on the other hand who is just a contender will have Leeds buzzing, his entances are immense. Dont know why he left Matchroom, but he is the only one non  Matchroom fighter who could really make some wedge....Selby, Quigg, Framptom all in weight range and a big ticket seller.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

As a brummie myself I sadly can't even disagree with that. There seems to be zero buzz here for Yafai or Eggington despite their recent success. Hopefully that will improve with time though as neither of them have been that heavily featured until fairly recently. 

Yafai did some work at the same gym my mate trains at for this camp. Sounds like a good guy from the bits I've heard. 

Oh and fuck Frankie Gavin. Proper dickhead. And there may never have been a less appropriate nickname than 'Funtime' Frankie Gavin. He's about as fun as a visit from the bailiffs. I can't think of a fight of his I've enjoyed, bar Eggington bashing him up. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Well, despite them reservations the Birmingham show turned out to be real good. The crowd seemed healthy and came alive at times but they are nothing like the rabid Leeds crowd for example...last night cant have not helped their cause though, good action.

Sam Eggington once again proved why he's one of the more entertaining fighters in the country. Never pretty but relentless and never stops coming forward. Rodriguez was nowhere near as bad as the Ringside podcast made out and threw some nice counters as Eggington came, he just couldn't help get sucked into an Eggington type of fight. Round 7 was a round of the year contender and the KO in round 10 was just frightening, Rodriguez was dead on his feet and the last two punches were scary. Glad he was ok. Eggington is European Champ!

Barry Hearns calls for Eggington/Danny Garcia raised a few eyebrows though.

The main event was cracking too. The on air and twitter reaction during the fight was that Muranaka might not actually be human, how such a small man can take that much punishment and not seen phased by any of it is just a bit baffling. It was competitive but one sided if that makes sense. Yafai literally threw the kitchen sink at the guy.

The other Yafai brother had a fun domestic fight too, lots of knockdowns.

Wasn't expecting much but it was a top night.

I opted to watch the bt stuff instead. Bit gutted now. Warrington looked ok, great crowd and done enough to win but i think he'd be outboxed by Selby and wouldnt have the power to trouble Frampton or Quigg. Will have to watch the Eggy fight. Eddie said on IFL that he is more Barrys project than his. Was it Euro or Commonwealth?

• Paid Members

It was European title for Eggington. 

The Japanese lad took a hell of a beating from Yafai but just kept coming back. It was a great fight to watch. I think I picked right for once. The crowd were rubbish though. Barely audible for long stretches of the fight. Once Yafai hadn't won in 2 rounds they didn't give a shit. 

• Paid Members

The Yafai/Muranaka fight deserved the Leeds crowd.

I've caught up on Warrington/Martinez. It played out as expected, Warrington is gutsy and throws a lot of punches but you can't help but feel that his lack of power hurts him going anywhere beyond the level he's at now. Still, having the Leeds base behind him he has a hell of a bargaining chip so i wouldn't be surprised if Warren can bring a World Champion to Leeds for Warrington.

oh, i won £82 off a fiver between the two shows too. Had Eggington by KO, Yafai on points, Warrington/Martinez to go the distance, Gamal Yafai and Frankie Gavin. Nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NccWzmxC3ns

there's the Eggington KO for those that aint seen it.

Edited by Egg Shen

Anyone read the Tris Dixon, Money Mayweather book?

Saw it earlier in a well known book store, wasn't aware of it before today.

On the subject, can anyone recommend any further boxing books to look out for?

I've read the Ricky Hatton books, the most recent Mike Tyson effort and the Watson autobiography, all were very enjoyable and somewhat insightful.