Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

The fight was really good but to rank it as the 4th best ever is just ridiculous. Powell is a shite boxing journalist who just gives good write ups of the people he is pally with. He friends with the whole Khan family and still bangs on about him being a top fighter. Was obviously never there at the time for the Ali fights but the Liston, Foreman, Frazier Norton fights were all great in there own way. Bowe/Holyfield and Lewis Briggs were all quality. And these are just post late 60s. Who did he rate top 3? Frazier/Ali, Bowe/Holyfield i guess? Who else?

• Paid Members

Top 2 were two of the Ali/Frazier fights, cant recall what was third off the top of my head.

The Mirror also declared it as possibly the best fight to have ever taken place in the UK.

• Paid Members

It's just opinions though. Who cares what one man thinks? I thought it was a great fight. I wouldn't have it as one of my best of all time personally but it was fantastic entertainment and drama on the night. 

For me, Ali vs Frazier 3 is probably the best ever heavyweight fight. And me personally, I'd rate all these heavyweight fights above Joshua vs Klitschko...

Evander Holyfield vs Riddick Bowe 1 

George Foreman vs Ron Lyle (seriously, if you haven't seen it get on YouTube)

Larry Holmes vs Ken Norton

Muhammad Ali vs George Foreman

Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas

Lennox Lewis vs Shannon Briggs

David Tua vs Ike Ibeabuchi (again, get on YouTube) 

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's another good 4 or 5 I'm overlooking. But it was a great fight regardless. In the immediate aftermath of a fight like that you'll always get the 'best ever' hyperbole. 

• Moderators

Danny Williams vs Matt Skelton

Michael Sprott vs Audley Harrison

Audley Harrison vs Matt Skelton

Danny Williams vs Michael Sprott

Audley Harrison vs Danny Williams

Matt Skelton vs Michael Sprott should all be in there.

Those four in their primes would have Joshua crying for his mummy. Four true heavyweight titans and the finest British boxers of all time.

Don't forget Audley vs Sprott 2. The final chapter of that vintage age of domestic Heavyweight boxing. 

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there's another good 4 or 5 I'm overlooking

The Ike vs Tua fight is a forgotten gem. 

I would not rate these above Joshua vs Wlad, but they deserve a mention on their own merit:

Vitali vs Lewis (2003)

Wlad vs Peter 1 (2005)

I might be being kind to the latter. I haven't seen it in years, but it was dramatic enough on the night. 

• Paid Members

Tell you what, Holyfield vs Foreman was a hell of a fight as well. That was old man Foreman during the 90s comeback as well. 

When you think about that, everyone thought it was nuts that Foreman was fighting and winning the title at 40 or whatever. To see the level Klitschko can still compete at, very nearly stopping a guy who could be the future of the division for years to come, it's pretty special. He's never been a favourite of mine but credit where it's due. Obviously the difference with Foreman was the massive break he took after the Ali loss. That made his world title win in 1994 all the more incredible. And Klitschko has lived a clean life by all accounts and hasn't abused his body or let himself get out of shape. But still, it's impressive that he can still go at that level at 41.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

You know what, I don't even care. PEDs are fucking rife in combat sports. It's wrong but it's never changing. I'm past caring. I watch to be entertained and they both did that in abundance on Saturday night. I'll leave the drug speculation bollocks and testing to the piss police. They're paid for that shit. 

Pride was riddled with roid monkeys too and I'd happily take that back in exchange for the UFC. 

Anyway, didn't see it mentioned here but Tony Bellew and Deontay Wilder got into a row in front of the IFL cameras the day of the Joshua vs Klitschko weigh in...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GWEi0Lakf8E

I'm no Bellew fan, can't stand the twat, but I'll actually be rooting for him if this fight happens. Who's that little knob as well who carries it on after Wilder's gone? "I'LL FIGHT YOU IN THE STREET. YOU DON' KNOW ME BWOI". Fucking idiot. 

Why aren't videos embedding anymore? 

Edited by wandshogun09

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Obviously the difference with Foreman was the massive break he took after the Ali loss. 

Sorry to be nit picky but this is one of those boxing Nelson Mandela Effect type deals. Foreman fought 6 times after the Ali loss before his first retirement. He tried for years to get a rematch with Ali. It was the Jimmy Young loss that broke him/made him find god. He almost died in the locker room after that fight.

• Paid Members

Ha, yeah you're right. And I actually knew that but for some reason I always forget the timeline and think of it as the Ali loss finishing him off for years. Him wearing the same shorts from the Ali fight when he fought Michael Moorer for the title in 94 probably doesn't help there. 

5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Ha, yeah you're right. And I actually knew that but for some reason I always forget the timeline and think of it as the Ali loss finishing him off for years. Him wearing the same shorts from the Ali fight when he fought Michael Moorer for the title in 94 probably doesn't help there. 

Thought so as you mention the Lyle fight above which was his first after the Ali fight. It's a weird one. I've seen boxing documentarys and books claim it was the Ali fight too. Ali would go around for years saying he broke Foreman in Zaire and made him retire and some writers just took it as gospel and its become one of those boxing myths.