Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Get a hold of War, Baby. Great book on the Nigel Benn vs Gerald McLellan fight. 

I always recommend Dark Trade: Lost In Boxing when anyone asks about good boxing books as well. Covers a load of ground and it's really interesting. 

And if you can find it, The Life and Crimes of Don King is a fantastic read. Absolute bastard of a man but I find him fascinating. The stuff about him killing 2 people and getting off with light sentences and all the corruption surrounding it is crazy. Especially how he then somehow blagged his way into a career as a boxing promoter. There's a bit in there that says something like 'In 1971 King listened to the first Ali vs Frazier fight on the radio from his jail cell. By 1975 he was promoting Ali vs Frazier 3'. Madness. It goes into him ripping off countless fighters, the bold as brass way he used Cus D'Amato's funeral to get his clutches on Mike Tyson, his dealings with the mafia and even meetings with John Gotti. It's mental. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I picked up Facing Ali at a bootsale for a quid a week or two ago. I have a similar one where opponents of Mike Tyson are interviewed. The Tyson one is excellent.

I dont read nearly enough though, theres tons to get through.

King of the World by David Remnick is a classic and the best book about Ali imo. Also goes into great detail about Liston and Patterson. I've always been a big fan of The Fight by Norman Mailer as well. It covers the Ali/Foreman fight in that Mailer style.

My favourite and I must have read it 10 times is McIlvanney On Boxing by Hugh McIlvanney. He is an extraordinary British sports journalist and this book covers his reports from some of the biggest fights of the 70's-90's. He is in the International Boxing Hall of Fame for a reason. Really special journalist and book.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

1-davis-walsh.jpg

real interesting fight on BT/Boxnation this Saturday. Gervonta Davis/Liam Walsh. It's one of those rare cases where a red hot US prospect is coming over to face a Brit over here, for me it resembles the Terence Crawford/Ricky Burns fight where they coaxed Crawford over and he turned out to be leagues above Burns, difference is here that Davis is the guy defending his title. Davis also a Mayweather protege, loads of momentum behind him. Walsh is a Warren main-stay who flies under the radar abit, huge opportunity to make a name for himself here. Really looking forward to this one.

Boxnation produced a face-off type shpw for this, link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4kzC9ana5I&t=130s

• Paid Members

listened to Ringside on Thursday and Davis only got into the country on Tuesday which is leaving it real late. Feeling on there was that Davis and Mayweather think this is easy money...then he goes has trouble with the weight. Lump the farm on Walsh.

It's a Frank Warren show, it will go on for so long, it will feel like he's boxing in the US.

Can't see Walsh making much of a dent in Davis tonight.

Also there are a load of fights on tonight all over the place. Gary Russell jr v Oscar Escandon. Felix Diaz v Terence Crawford. Ryota Murata was in a world title fight in Japan. Naya Inoue is boxing tomorrow.

• Paid Members

Man, Gervonta Davis took Liam Walsh to school, didn't he? 

I usually think Richie Woodhall is spot on with most of his punditry but I was 100% with Bunce on the stoppage when they were bickering about it at the end there. I was completely baffled when Woodhall kept banging on about it being an early stoppage. Walsh looked completely fucked after the first knockdown and he'd been hit with a load of shots before he went down. Then Woodhall was going "look, it's because he didn't have his guard up", which  he was right he didn't, but that's no reason not to stop the fight. If anything, if a guy is so disorientated that he's not defending himself doesn't that strengthen the case for the stoppage? Bunce was correct as well, when debating a stoppage you should be watching the fighter more than the ref. Woodhall just kept talking about what the ref was doing and seemed oblivious to the fact that Walsh's legs were all over the shop and he was swaying about like a drunk at closing time. He was so clearly done. I thought it was a rare case of Woodhall being way off in his analysis. 

Absolutely mental scenes in the Andre Dirrell/Jose Uzcategui fight. Uzcategui hit a 3 punch combo and the last punch was after the bell. Dirrell flopped to the floor, got back up, said he was ok. Then laid on the floor again when the doctors came into the ring. Referee DQ'ed Uzcategui for an illegal punch.

After the fight, Dirrell's coach and uncle gets into the ring and blindsides Uzcategui with a bare-knuckle left hook to the jaw. Must be a shit coach because Uzcategui was unmoved. He's now wanted for assault.

https://youtu.be/nB4GrkJUT_Q

Yeah, I usually agree with Woodhall, but he was way off last night. I was a bit surprised that the ref didn't wave it off when Walsh staggered up from the first knockdown. His fate was sealed then and there.

Brook vs Spence next weekend. I'm looking forward to that one.