Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

there was a surprising lack of buzz before the announcement of Mayweather/McGregor, but tomorrow is Ward/Kovalev II. A year ago it was amongst the biggest fights in the sport, the first happened and despite HBO trying to proclaim it as some kind of classic, it wasn't and the bitchiness after it all i feel has soured everyone's feelings on the rematch. Still, its a big fight and im hoping it out-performs the first fight, i'm Team Kovalev all day for this and he looks angry going in, i think he regrets trying to have a straight up boxing match the first time, im hoping for a little more aggression tomorrow night.

ward-kovalev-678x381.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6teQLlsIbQ

preview show there ^

there is a 24/7 but it's region locked on youtube, should be able to find a copy easy enough.

I'm also rooting for Kovalev. The first fight was very subjective to score, The critics were split with their scorecards. My memory is fuzzy, but on the night, I scored it to Kovalev by a single round. That being said, I have a feeling that Ward will prevail again. Either way, I'm really looking forward to it. 

It's a boxing double header on Sky Sports as well. Paul Smith is fighting Tyron Zeuge for a version of the Super-Middleweight world title. Coverage begins at 10pm. Smith is not expected to win. 

• Paid Members

Controversy!

Crazy ending to Ward/Kovalev, Tony Weeks waving it off after three successive low blows from Ward during a flurry where Kovalev was clearly hurt. So much weirdness here, first off the actual stoppage was strange, Kovalev was doubled over but Weeks stepping in and waving it off felt super anti-climatic. Seconly, Kovalev didn't complain at the time of the stoppage, he didn't really mount any complaint until the post-fight interview, yet the replays showed Kovalev clearly react to the lowblows. There were lowblows going in all night, Ward is one dirty fighter.

The ending to Rigondeax/Flores was even weirder. How 2 referees, a commision guy and a 4th opinion can discuss the ending, watch replays and still get it wrong is beyond me.

• Paid Members

For no real reason, I'm going through every one of Mike Tyson's pro fights. I know it doesn't need saying, but you do forget the extraordinary ability of him in the late 80's in particular. Even though every match is in pretty poor filming quality, I'm wincing every time he connects with anything, irrespective of whether half of it is blocked or not. It's wonderfully brutal to watch. 

Any suggestions on boxer back catalogues to watch next welcomed, I'm very much enjoying this so far. 

Edited by Gus Mears

1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

For no real reason, I'm going through every one of Mike Tyson's pro fights. I know it doesn't need saying, but you do forget the extraordinary ability of him in the late 80's in particular. Even though every match is in pretty poor filming quality, I'm wincing every time he connects with anything, irrespective of whether half of it is blocked or not. It's wonderfully brutal to watch. 

Any suggestions on boxer back catalogues to watch next welcomed, I'm very much enjoying this so far. 

Check out all the fights between Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and Roberto Duran and read "Four Kings" by George Kimball as a companion piece. 

• Paid Members

I second Guy's recco. That 80s era of middleweights was just unbelievable. Hagler/Hearns' "The War" was an incredible match; I'd been a fan of Hearns a while, but this one showed me how awesome Hagler was too. Stunning boxing on display. Hagler was like a hi-tech tank, closing in with fast, precise, powerful boxing. Perfect way to deal with an out-boxer like Hearns and his flicker jabs.

• Paid Members

The Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran series is a great shout. But there's probably no need to watch all the fights as there are some shitty spots in there. Leonard vs Duran 3 for example, is so disappointing and comes nowhere near the quality of their classic first fight or the drama and craziness of the 'No Mas' rematch. Leonard vs Hearns 2 is OK but massive comedown from their first fight as well. 

If you're just looking for one fighter's fights to focus on I'd go with either Nigel Benn or Arturo Gatti. Early Benn is almost like watching a smaller 80s Tyson at times. And I've seen nearly every Gatti fight and I'm still yet to see a shit one.

Gatti is probably the best bet if you haven't seen much of him actually. As incredible as the Mickey Ward trilogy was, Gatti was more than just that. He had so many other ridiculously fun fights. They're nearly all wars or vicious knockouts up until his last couple if fights where it all sadly caught up to him. 

• Paid Members

Much obliged all, will certainly take all of those suggestions on.

Removing for a second the fact that Tyson became an utter scumbag as a human being; I thoroughly enjoyed watching him destroy people significantly bigger than him in particular. As a fully signed up member of the small man's union, I find it incredible when he is facing people 6'6 odd and really dominating proceedings at that level.

I know you shouldn't really do revisionist comparisons, but I do think how Tyson would have done in the present land of giants heavyweight age.