Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

The Collins and Benn two fights from over 20 years ago weren't all that good, can't imagine what they would be like now.

Pac vs Horn should be fun, Pac is due a stoppage win as been so long and if Horn brings it to him as he says he will, I see him getting stopped midway during the fight.

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

But when you think about it, wasn't Collins having trouble with his ticker at the end of his career? I vaguely recall him having a scare with his heart halfway through a training camp or something and his doctors advising him to retire. That was like 20 years ago. If he was nearly clapping out in camp back then I dread to think what could happen in 2017. 

Rumour was the heart thing was a cover up. Collins planned a comeback in 1999 after retiring so got back in the gym to see how he felt. They brought in Howard Eastman to spar who had his way with Collins then knocked him out. Collins team blamed a "heart" problem and the comeback was shelved.

• Paid Members

Cheers for that Jim Bob. Makes sense and now you mention it I do remember Eastman's name coming up in the version of the story I heard as well. 

There was a lot of talk that Collins actively ducked Joe Calzaghe towards the end of his career as well. He definitely pulled out of fighting Calzaghe at least twice if I'm remembering right. 

Collins was a fun fighter to watch back in the day but I've always felt like he was very fortunate to catch both Eubank and Benn at the tail end of their careers. 

Collins wanted the Jones fight after beating Benn in their second fight and it never came to fruition, he didn't really wanna deal with Calzaghe so retired, wanted to come back because Jones Jr apparently offered him £3Million in 1999, sparred Eastman as already been mentioned but the story given out was he collapsed in the ring, but as Cousin Jim Bob pointed out, seems as if the truth is Eastman banged him out. Collins was trying to get a fight with Roy Jones a few years back, so can see why he would be up for a payday against Benn.

Do people really wanna pay money to see this?

• Paid Members

Oleksandr Usyk has now signed up for the World Boxing Super Series, meaning all 4 current Cruiserweight Champions are signed up, it's gonna be tremendous!

...and Matchroom have the last show of their 'season' tonight, Summertime Brawl:

DBTlQV8WAAEPMkz.jpg?fit=1200,600

I expect a night of blowouts, lots of explosive fighters (Okolie, Benn and a debuting Joshua Buatsi) on the bill and Buglioni is always good value so it should be a decent watch.

• Paid Members

Summertime Brawl was as advertised. Buglioni/Summers had a good domestic level scrap, Buglioni is the kind of guy who will fight to level of his opponent and make things harder for himself than they need to be, makes for good fights though.

Buatsi, Benn and Okolie had predicted blowouts, futures looking good for matchroom though.

• Paid Members

fuck me!

my phone is somehow synced to some google thing where a news feed randomly pops up with relevant news. It fucked the UFC for me last week, and it screwed me last night! Absolutely fuming, but i wasn't overly excited about the fight because i didnt think Horn had any chance.

Crazy, has anyone seen the fight? lots of controversy online about the scoring.

I haven't seen it, but the consensus seems to be less that the result was wrong (seems the fight was close as anything), but that one judge scored it 117-111 which doesn't reflect reality.

I haven't seen anyone say outright that it was a rip-off.

It was the right result, Horn won the fight. I had it by 3. Manny came close to stopping him in the 9th but couldn't get it, aside from that, he looked pretty spent. The Box Nation commentary mentioned that the American broadcasters had it to Pacquiao by a wide margin, but I struggle to see how he could have been ahead on points come the final bell, even if the 9th was given 10-8.

• Paid Members

I watched it, it was really close. I had it for Horn, but just about. One, maybe two rounds in it for me. When the last round ended it very much felt like a fight that could easily go either way.

I'm often baffled by the cries of robbery in Boxing and MMA, but especially in Boxing. Sometimes there is a genuine robbery and the backlash is justified but most of the time it seems like people moan about robberies way more than there are actual robberies. People just like a moan. Especially when they guy who wasn't supposed to win wins. This wasn't a robbery at all to me. 

It was a good fight though. 

Edited by wandshogun09