Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Guerrero retired after the fight.

Had the Broner/Garcia fight spoiled for me by some stupid notification of a random post from some boxing group im in on facebook?! stupid as fuck, i unfollowed it, dont even know why i got a notification. Anyone catch it?

• Paid Members

Yep. It was nothing special. 

From my untrained eye... Garcia looked real good. Just kept it real simple taking hold off center off the ring whilst Broner circled. AB was throwing weak as piss tippy tappy shots from distance whilst Mikey  would eventually push Broner back to the ropes and unleash some nice combos. Broner never in real trouble but never in the fight either. 

I'd give 9 or 10 rounds to Garcia imo. 

• Paid Members

Wladimir Klitschko is retiring, putting paid to the idea of a rematch with Joshua.

From the Beeb

Former heavyweight world champion Wladimir Klitschko has retired from boxing - ruling out a rematch with Britain's Anthony Joshua.

The Ukrainian, 41, was knocked out in the 11th round by current champion Joshua at Wembley Stadium in April.

Joshua, 27, had hoped Klitschko would sign his rematch clause for a proposed fight in Las Vegas on 11 November.

"I have achieved everything I dreamed of, and now I want to start my second career after sports," said Klitschko.

The two-time former champion, who held the unified title from 2006-2015 before losing to Joshua's fellow Briton Tyson Fury, ends his career with a record of 64 wins and five defeats.

"I would have never imagined that I would have such a long and incredibly successful boxing career," he added.

More to follow.

Gutted, as I was really looking forward to a second AJ fight (far, far more than the McGregor/Mayweather stuff), but good on him really. Dominated an (admittedly weak) heavyweight division for what seemed like forever, made his money and has left on his terms. Class act.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I think Wlad has done the right thing. Even a fight in Vegas would struggle to top a fight at Wembley in front of 90000 people. I hope he has a long and happy retirement, and I hope he rings up Carl Froch once a week to tell him how he fought in front of 90000 people at Wembley. 

• Paid Members

I don't have a clue but I did laugh at Joshua tweeting a clip from the Shaggy 'It Wasn't Me' video. 

I checked Khan's twitter and he's saying him and his wife have agreed to split. Then he's tweeting stuff that she's seeing another boxer and 'moving up in weight class' or something. Guess that's where people have took 2 + 2 and come up with AJ. 

Got a feeling Khan's going to be on later saying he was hacked. 

• Paid Members

I think it's the tweet where he says AJ can have his leftovers that gives at away...

He's been hacked, surely? State of those tweets. AJ has tweeted further that he's never met her and that he prefers BBW anyway. Brah.

Screenshot_20170804-192316.thumb.png.14849bac33c0efa3b70ce534be3c0060.png

With Wladimir Klitschko retiring and A.J. not really having a worthy opponent maybe just maybe Tyson Fury will step up (and i reckon he  will just for this fight) and give us the chance to see him with a worthy opponent. IMO A.J. has a glass jaw. Dillan white rocked him. Klitschko (AGE 41) knocked him on his ass. Fury would be a real good test of him being a worthy champion. Just a thought.

• Paid Members

Fury announced his retirement again earlier in the week. I dont think it'll stick but it's gonna be a while off even if he does come back.

All signs point to AJ's next fight being against Pulev.

• Paid Members

Anyone catch the Lomachenko fight? Absolute animal. Outclassed Marriaga in all areas, relentless attack, combinations, knockdowns, just overwhelmed him. The corner did right by him pulling him out before the 8th. It was only going to get worse. 

Why the fuck though, does Teddy Atlas insist on calling him LomaNchenko? With the n. Once you notice it it's annoying as shit.