Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

nice heads up wand. i'll check that out.

this heads up the weekends boxing:

146_en~v~wbc-world-and-silver-championsh

nice little double header from Canada. What a frustrating career Adonis Stevenson has had though, he's been holding a version of the Light Heavyweight Title for 4 years yet he's avoided any kind of meaningful fight, Kovalev gave up on him and now he's facing a guy he's already recently beaten and was KO'd in a round by Joe Smith Jr a year ago. Still, Fonfara gave Stevenson a good go last time and is always in entertaining fights (go watch Fonfara/Cleverly) so it'll be worth a look.

The Sports Life Stories on Froch is a good watch. I remember watching it a few years back. 

Add me to those who were happy for Groves. Even though he was the pantomime villain during his rivalry with Froch, he was always someone people loved to hate. He was never someone that people plain hated. More of a Chris Eubank than a BJS. 

Edit: June 17th for Ward vs Kovalev 2. The preview show is already on Youtube. 

Edited by jimufctna24

At the time of the first Benn/Eubank fight people did genuinally hate Eubank, and during the Watson fights. It was only later in his career he became liked. When Eubank was saying boxing is a mugs game etc.....it was genuine hate from not only the public but a lot of publications as well. 

Cannot see Kov/Ward being anything other than a continuation of the first fight. More round 13 i think. I thought Kov won the first one but was close, Ward started to slow and with the knockdown i thought Kov won it. 

Seems like theres a top fight every month now, think UFC has made the boxing world up its game.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

At the time of the first Benn/Eubank fight people did genuinally hate Eubank, and during the Watson fights. It was only later in his career he became liked. When Eubank was saying boxing is a mugs game etc.....it was genuine hate from not only the public but a lot of publications as well. 

Yeah, I don't think Eubank really won the public around until he was at the tail end of his career. I think there was still more negative than positive feeling towards him after the losses to Steve Collins but I think him taking the Calzaghe fight on ridiculously short notice, and then his two courageous efforts against Carl Thompson, who the bigger man, endeared him. He was pretty gracious in defeat and complimentary of his opponents' performances and I think that surprised a lot ot people. He even said something in his autobiography about it being funny that he wanted to be liked all his career, and it wasn't until he lost and showed character that the public warmed to him. 

Even my dad, who fucking hated Eubank during the Benn and Watson rivalries, turned the corner on Eubank by the end. 

Post-boxing I think Eubank actually became really well liked for a bit. He was likeable on the Louis Theroux documentary and his At Home With The Eubanks series. Him and Michael Watson became friends and even him and Nigel Benn seemed on much friendlier terms for a while. Since he's got back in the game now with Chris Jr, his popularity has definitely taken a knock it seems. But I like him. He's a bit nuts, loads eccentric and I think the whole team are making a right arse of Jr's career so far, but I think he's a good guy in general. 

Haye throughout the whole Bellew build up looked a bit of a tool with all his pics on yachts etc.....I got the impression through them behind the ropes programmes that Shane Mcgiugan thought Haye should be putting it in a bit more. 

Also read an interview with booth about 3 yrs ago saying in a roundabout way that he stopped training Haye as his body was breaking down and thought haye should retire.  Normally its the boxer who dumps the trainer though. Be interesting to see where haye goes next.