The UKFF Betting Topic

John Amos

Here's a bit of a rough draft regarding the National itself on Saturday.

----

- Take out anything younger than 8 and older than 11. (DEFINITELY RED, TAKING RISKS, THE LONG MILE, BLAKLION, SUB LIEUTENANT, VIEUX LION ROUGE).

Eliminate anything that hasn't won over at least 3 miles (TOUT EST PERMIS, BALKO DES FLOS, SHATTERED LOVE, CLASS CONTI, FARCLAS, MINELLA TIMES).

That's a quarter of the field gone, either through inexperience or being a little 'long in the tooth'. You also need the necessary stamina to win over this marathon distance, so anything yet to win over a minimum of three miles should be ignored.

- Draw a line through anything that has failed to complete in the race before. I don't like horses that have had bad experiences in this unique race (BALLYOPTIC, LAKE VIEW LAD, ALPHA DES OBEAUX, DOUBLE SHUFFLE, AMI DESBOIS)

- Eliminate anything that hasn't finished in the top 3 in a race with more more 20 runners (BRISTOL DE MAI, TALKISCHEAP, MISTER MALARKY, KIMBERLITE CANDY, SHATTERED LOVE, JETT, CANELO, GIVE ME A COPPER, HOGANS HEIGHT).

The reasoning behind these 2 categories are that a horse must prove that they can survive and run well amongst the hustle and bustle of a large field, and a fall or a pulled up in the race previously could leave a mark.

So, we are now left with....

CHRIS'S DREAM
YALA ENKI
BURROWS SAINT
MAGIC OF LIGHT
ACAPELLA BOURGEOIS
ANIBALE FLY
ANY SECOND NOW
OK CORRAL
POTTERS CORNER
MILAN NATIVE
DISCORAMA
CLOTH CAP

There's 12 horses there, which is probably double the amount I would like to have a punt on. I'll upset Orsen by taking out CLOTH CAP, because I simply can't back anything at a single figure price in this race. It may bite me, but that's life.

ACAPELLA BOURGEOIS doesn't really go on the good ground - he prefers soft, so I'll take him out. Down to 9 now and we're getting there.

Next, I'll eliminate anything that has never experienced these fences before - not necessarily by running in this particular race, but either in The Sefton/Becher Chase etc. This removes CHRIS'S DREAM, BURROWS SAINT, ANY SECOND NOW, OK CORRAL, POTTERS CORNER and MILAN NATIVE.

And there we are, down to 3.

ANIBALE FLY - 25/1
MAGIC OF LIGHT - 14/1
DISCORAMA - 16/1

If you had to push me for the winner, I'd go for MAGIC OF LIGHT - but any of the above wouldn't surprise me.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Exactly. You wouldn’t get that with Wooly. Granted he’s have also picked the other 39 but that’s beside the point #HoopsHoopsHoops

The only bet Wooly had today was Shishkin each way. Won at 1/8. That man knows his stuff. 

• 2 months later...

Just popped in here to put one up for Royal Ascot this afternoon - then found out the last posts in here was the shambles of a Grand National.

Anyway, Lord Protector is 28/1 in the 5.35 at Ascot. I don't know why. Won all his 3 starts previously, is well drawn in 20 for a front runner - so will hopefully go forward and stay out of trouble as everything runs into one another on the round course. Canny jockey on board.

Get stuck in!

• 8 months later...

Run Wild Fred is probably the most obvious horse of the day, but at 7/4 I'm not bothered at that price.

I've already got Dysart at 12s and 10s for the first race, so I'll let that run.

Adagio and Not So Sleepy each way against Honeysuckle - I think Appreciate It will bomb out, so the places are up for grabs.

Fantastikas and Tea Clipper are my idea of decent bets in the 2.40 - both are about 12s and fit the profile of the winner in this.

The 4.50 is a proper cavalry charge and the kind of race I love to get my teeth into. The favourite could win by 10 lengths but with 6 places to play for I like Prairie Dancer and Blitzka.

Good luck all!

Edited by Max Power

Shocking day yesterday.

Few longer priced darts for me today.

I Am Maximus in the 1.30 at about 16s. Ran well behind Hillcrest who I think wins on Friday. Don't like the favourite over this trip, and I think Journey With Me doesn't warrant the price. Stage Star is a soft ground plodder.

Already on Bravemansgame at 25s (placed last March) so I'll keep fingers crossed. Incidentally, I backed Farouk D'alene for the NH Chase at 50s, so I'll be mortified when he clearly chins Brave. Ah well.

Gowel Road or The Shunter in the Coral Cup - both will give a run for money. Each way places down to 7th, so I don't mind that.

Can't have a bet in the Queen Mam or the Cross Country - so I'll be waiting for Gumball and For Pleasure in the Grand Annual. I like front runners in this, so hopefully these 2 will blast out and stay on.

Brandy Love is my strongest fancy of the day though. Don't Google it though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Using my usual method of betting on the horse by either 1) The name of the horse, 2) The colours of what the Jockey is wearing. Using that method, I have put some money on rank outsider of 80/1 Brahma Bull on the Grand National tomorrow.

I don't expect it to come in, but just letting the 'Effers know it's running tomorrow. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

Eclair Surf for me and at a bigger price Top Ville Ben e/w. What's everyone else's picks this year? 

Gone Burrows Saint for the win.

My mate Race Olly is getting a pretty big following on Twitter tipping horses and he's gone Eclair Surf.