Paid Members RedTwoster Posted April 9 Author Paid Members Posted April 9 I actually really enjoyed this week’s Dynamite, although I feel like @LaGoosh has been possessed by the ghost of my opinions as I feel like I’d have said exactly the same thing on any other week. But I can’t deny that I had fun watching this. I’d not heard of any of the New Japan wrestlers, but I enjoyed Ospreay drafting in outside help. I liked the Jericho stuff too. It wasn’t anything spectacular but it didn’t have to be. Ricochet is a good opponent for him and the match should be fun. This also felt very ‘greatest hits’ Jericho, which does make me feel like this is going to be his retirement run. MJF/Omega is a match I’m very much looking forward to, and the build has been decent. My main complaint is, as usual, their female wrestlers being treated as an afterthought. They consistently knock it out of the park, but for what? They never get the chance to main event PPVs, outside of Storm and Mone they’re not treated as equals to AEW’s male wrestlers and they’re rarely afforded similar match lengths to male wrestlers either. Tony Khan deserves to be criticised for this, but their general audience seems perfectly fine with it. Until things change, their best female prospects will continue to jump to WWE and that’s a real shame. If a MAGA-aligned company is presenting its female wrestlers with better opportunities than you are, clearly something is wrong. Quote
TheScarlettChad Posted April 9 Posted April 9 Christian Cage is still awesome. Not watched the full episode but caught segments. That ring will come into play with Omega, won't it? Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted April 9 Paid Members Posted April 9 I really enjoyed the show, by and large. Despite not being a follower of Japanese feds I found myself loving United Empire. Better than The Dogs, thats for damned sure. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted April 9 Author Paid Members Posted April 9 8 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said: I really enjoyed the show, by and large. Despite not being a follower of Japanese feds I found myself loving United Empire. Better than The Dogs, thats for damned sure. Gabe Kidd aside, of course. We’re all in agreement that he’s good fun, I think. Right…? Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted April 9 Posted April 9 (edited) 1 hour ago, LaGoosh said: - they expect you to know that Alex Windsor is Ospreay's partner despite this never having been acknowledged on screen at any point The video package before Forbidden Door last year they said was voiced by Alex Windsor, Will Ospreay's partner, before the lights out match. I think they have made passing references to it at other times, but never a big deal though. https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxw7FfriprzG6Kxl_Pxa-gqn1-ZAcO8kWV?si=J6lXZz_QFM7GHspR Edited April 9 by Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Quote
Merzbow Posted April 9 Posted April 9 (edited) I've said it before but Gabe's biggest problem was thinking a gimmick that worked in Japan would automatically translate to America, the language/cultural barrier itself was a major part of the whole deal and you take that away and you're left with a guy that just looks like he's acting hard. It's one dimensional right now, there's no history. Edited April 9 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted April 9 Author Paid Members Posted April 9 18 minutes ago, Merzbow said: I've said it before but Gabe's biggest problem was thinking a gimmick that worked in Japan would automatically translate to America, the language/cultural barrier itself was a major part of the whole deal and you take that away and you're left with a guy that just looks like he's acting hard. It's one dimensional right now, there's no history. See, I think there’s something in the idea of a guy who ‘acts the hard man’ - particularly as a heel. We’ve probably all met someone who does that and it’s pathetic and embarrassing behaviour. So with that in mind, the idea of a character who behaves that way works for me. I think Clark Connors has the most potential out of that group, but I can’t deny that I enjoy Gabe Kidd. Poor Dave Finlay, though. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted April 9 Posted April 9 (edited) Member when Jericho always used to bang on about how he was like David Bowie and was always reinventing himself? Hopefully The List is a one time thing to get a pop, rather than dredging up a gimmick that got old 9 years ago for anything longterm. Oh who am I kidding, of course he’s going to run it into the ground agin Edited April 9 by WyattSheepMask Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted April 9 Paid Members Posted April 9 He used to always chat on about being the pro-wrestling version of Madonna, didn’t he? Someone should ask him when Madonna last had a hit. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 9 Paid Members Posted April 9 2 minutes ago, Supremo said: He used to always chat on about being the pro-wrestling version of Madonna, didn’t he? Someone should ask him when Madonna last had a hit. Madonna only plays her greatest hits now. So looks like his continuing with her mindset. I want a return of the actual Liontamer please. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted April 9 Posted April 9 As long as he doesn't come out wearing cones for tits. Quote
Chili Posted April 9 Posted April 9 If he brings the list back next week then yeah, have a word with yourself Chris, but I don't think it's knives out just yet. It wasn't that bad of a promo and him and Ricochet might have a decent match as long as Jericho knows his speed limits. Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted April 9 Posted April 9 (edited) 3 hours ago, RedTwoster said: See, I think there’s something in the idea of a guy who ‘acts the hard man’ - particularly as a heel. We’ve probably all met someone who does that and it’s pathetic and embarrassing behaviour. So with that in mind, the idea of a character who behaves that way works for me. Yeah I've always figured that's what he was going for - the mouthy 'I'm 'ard, me! Don't mess with me! I'm crazy and I'll fuck you up!' insecure fake-Alpha guy that everybody knows. He goes on social media and calls all the fans nerds and virgins too It's a decent heel gimmick because unless you are someone exactly like him you would think he is an obnoxious dickhead, and who doesn't want to see someone like that get punched in the face? I have no idea if that is genuinely his personality or not. I assuming it's not but I like that I don't know. A bit like Ricochet but the other way - I believe he actually is a massive throbber in real life but obviously don't know for certain. Everything tells me he is and I would rather not know for sure. Edited April 9 by Snitsky's back acne Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted April 9 Paid Members Posted April 9 I don't think it hurts Jericho to do the greatest hits during the comeback babyface promo. If he's still doing old schtick in two month's time, then it's probably worth complaining about. On Gabe Kidd doing the mad lad gimmick, it would be great if the gimmick was that he was all bark and no bite, and that he was just hiding behind his mates while talking a big game, but it's never been presented that way. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.