Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm sure there was a lot of weird outsized hatred towards her, but for me, Brandi was just incredibly inconsistent as a character, in ways that really got on my nerves. In fairness, Cody was often similar, but early on in AEW had so much goodwill behind him that he could get away with it. And then there's stuff like them doing gender reveal announcements as advertised segments on Dynamite, though I assume that was as much to play into their reality TV show as anything else.

What stands out to me as Brandi Rhodes moments in AEW, though, is that inconsistency. She would be a heel manager of a spooky bad guy stable in one segment, then the babyface manager of Cody in the next. There was a battle royal, where Brandi was managing Awesome Kong, yet they were both in the match, and Brandi was getting all the big spots and eliminating people, rather than actually playing heel and hiding behind her bodyguard. And in the Cody/Malakai Black feud, where Cody pretended he was going to retire after losing to Malakai, who was being built up as dangerous and terrifying, they just had Brandi sit cross-legged in front of him and make fun of him to his face. 
 

Funnily enough, as I write all this, the closest comparison that comes to mind is Triple H in the 2010s. He would be on RAW as the suit-wearing boss of the Authority, then on NXT as the babyface saviour of the wrestling business, then if the next week's RAW was an anniversary episode he'd be in DX clobber with glowsticks playing goofy babyface, and then he'd wrestle and do an entrance in his Conan The Barbarian get-up. Just no character consistency whatsoever, the only thing that mattered was that, even as a heel, he always had to have the last word, the best lines, and be the smartest, coolest, most bad-ass person in the room. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
21 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I'm pretty sure the entire planet forgot about Brandi the moment she left, the only memories being a faint collective nightmare of a stable she once led.

Not me mate. I love her. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Brandi is amazing to look at, a true beauty, but that’s about it.  No real entertainment value, didn’t get a reaction from me as a heel or a face, which is the main bit for anyone involved in the wrestling business, but my god, what a looker.

  • Paid Members
Posted

She seems like a very nice, funny woman, from everything I've seen from her in real life. I can't pretend she didn't have a load of shit gimmicks in a short space of time. She also was Cody's valet during that time around the first All In where there doing all sorts of weird heel stuff mixed in with face stuff when they would have been an excellent pure babyface act at that point. Took Cody a fair while to figure it out. 

I will never understand the vitriol she got. I can remember someone on here reveling in the huge negative reaction she got when she came out with Cody as a surprise at a PPV and when I watched it back, the reaction was completely fine. She got a big pop. Some people are fucking mental. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Screenshot_20250606_110539_Chrome.thumb.jpg.62aa41b48ada76d9ba9b6281eb2255af.jpg

The mind games Vince played on these guys should be studied. Vince sacked people left, right and centre for barely any reason at all but he managed to convince them all otherwise. It's like all these wrestlers have Stockholm Syndrome. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Say what you want about Vince but he would never sack a load of wrestlers during a pandemic whilst announcing record revenues. Vince cared about them.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Chili said:

Say what you want about Vince McMahon. No, just say what you want about him.

You’d be surprised at what some people still say about him unfortunately 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I like the idea that AEW just contacted Teddy Long out the blue to tell him they wouldn't give him a job.

"Just in case you were even thinking about it, piss off Grandad."

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, Chico Torres said:

Nothing but love for The Godfather Theodore R. Long, the manager of Butch Reed and Ron Simmons, the team known as DOOM.

Well, other than simping for Vince.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Most efficient way to stop enquiries from people you don’t want to hire is to strike first. I want that job so badly. Working through the Cagematch A-Z and pre-jecting motherfuckers. 
 

“Dear 1MANTHRILLRIDE, you have a very rad name but I don’t know who you are so it is unlikely I will be offering you a contract or big Tony hug at this time. Thank you for your lack of any sort of contact with AEW this far, it has been appropriate.”

Then eventually one of them will use it in their heel origin story promo in five years when they eventually do get signed and I will take the credit. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Whenever I play Giant Gram 2000 now, I make a point of smashing up Johnny Ace as much as possible.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...