Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
16 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah but why learn about any of that stuff in school when we can just be bored fucking senseless about Queen Elizabeth I over and over?

I was round at a mate's on Saturday, and his partner's Canadian, and we ended up on the topic of history education in this country - how she's always amazed that so many English people she speaks to know nothing about the Empire or colonialism, while they're always amazed that she doesn't know anything about who was King or Queen when. That just about sums it up.

  • Paid Members
Posted

My dad has always been disdainful of how history is presented in this country, especially when it's through the lens of monarchs, as if, even at the height of the monarchy's power, they were solely responsible for the fortunes of the nation, and refusing to properly discuss the influence that the various establishments had on it, like the aristocracy, the church, the burghers - basically, anything to do with actual politics, economics, culture, and sociological structures. He refers to it as "gossip history", and I think he has a point: the privileging of monarchy narratives does read like a soap opera.

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

My dad has always been disdainful of how history is presented in this country, especially when it's through the lens of monarchs, as if, even at the height of the monarchy's power, they were solely responsible for the fortunes of the nation, and refusing to properly discuss the influence that the various establishments had on it, like the aristocracy, the church, the burghers - basically, anything to do with actual politics, economics, culture, and sociological structures. He refers to it as "gossip history", and I think he has a point: the privileging of monarchy narratives does read like a soap opera.

That's similar to a point when talking about this as well - the framing of Kings & Queens as "English history", as the sort of thing that GB News types tell you we should be teaching kids in schools because it's our history. Well, I'm as English as they come, tracing my family tree back a couple of hundred years barely gets you outside of Yorkshire, but most of them were farmers, navvies and chimney sweeps, and it's not their history I'm getting taught, is it? 

Posted

My great great great grandad invented the rubber bouncy ball and introduced floodlights to football. I'd love to learn his history.

  • Paid Members
Posted
27 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That's similar to a point when talking about this as well - the framing of Kings & Queens as "English history", as the sort of thing that GB News types tell you we should be teaching kids in schools because it's our history. Well, I'm as English as they come, tracing my family tree back a couple of hundred years barely gets you outside of Yorkshire, but most of them were farmers, navvies and chimney sweeps, and it's not their history I'm getting taught, is it? 

Absolutely bang on. I think it might have been @Famous Mortimer (if he'll come back for this) who posted a very eloquent and detailed eulogy when Studs Terkel passed, and it made me appreciate those historians who went that extra mile in recording the history of the common people. I've been meaning to check out the WFMT archive for some time. Really should get round to that. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
2 hours ago, Duke said:

My great great great grandad invented the rubber bouncy ball and introduced floodlights to football. I'd love to learn his history.

Me too! I try not to use the word "genius" unless I really mean it, but ... he invented the bouncy ball! That's brilliant.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Well, I'm as English as they come, tracing my family tree back a couple of hundred years barely gets you outside of Yorkshire, but most of them were farmers, navvies and chimney sweeps, and it's not their history I'm getting taught, is it? 

I can trace my mums family back to the 1620s and we've barely moved 30 miles Patrick. Newark is like the new world for us. 

Most people don't care about history beyond doing an exam at school. Baring in mind that I did the history of medicine, the boxer rebellion and American history from 1776 to the end of the civil war for GCSE that's about as far from learning Kings and Queens as it gets. Most people don't care, and I've learned more since I left school, including the King's and Queens because I like a pub quiz. That's the history people need to be taught, the sort that can win you free beer and entry to a meat raffle. 

Posted
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Me too! I try not to use the word "genius" unless I really mean it, but ... he invented the bouncy ball! That's brilliant.

"Some 22 years ago he was thrown from his trap and has his skull fractured and other injuries inflicted upon him. When lying in a critical condition there was a destructive fire upon his premises in Angel street' and before his insurance claim was met the company with whom he had taken out his policy filed a petition in bankruptcy, and he sustained serious loss. He was, however, a man full of resource' saw further ahead than most people; and in his day, as will be seen, he rendered good service to the commercial life of Sheffield", including bringing the telephone to Sheffield.

You can keep your Catherine Parrs, lads. I'm going to write an essay on that.

  • Paid Members
Posted

This thread seems as good as any to put this. This will either be the dullest, crappest thing ever, or an absolute dumpster fire.

IMG_1460.jpeg.dba6228823671d1b1b2e55b23b681d5f.jpeg

“CM Punk is here. Two losses and zero wins in the UFC. The most disappointing performance from a shooter since Tommy Dreamer bottled it at Wrestlemania 17.”

 

Posted

Tony Hinchcliffe is the racist prick who made the joke about Puerto Rico at the Trump rally last year so my guess would be dumpster fire. 

Apparently The Miz, Braun Strowman and Paul Heyman are going to be at this thing, they all seem like right wing twats so no surprise there but Sami Zayn is too, who you would think/hope would have the sense not to do this.

  • Paid Members
Posted
19 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Tony Hinchcliffe is the racist prick who made the joke about Puerto Rico at the Trump rally last year so my guess would be dumpster fire. 

Apparently The Miz, Braun Strowman and Paul Heyman are going to be at this thing, they all seem like right wing twats so no surprise there but Sami Zayn is too, who you would think/hope would have the sense not to do this.

And that’s not the only thing he said at that rally. He made a series of extremely racist jokes (here’s an article from Rolling Stone with full info) and has had a track record of making jokes of that nature even before the Trump rally.

Roasts are crap anyway, but add a sprinkle of bigotry and you have a potential PR disaster on their hands, televised or not. It’s an extremely scummy booking and I hope this backfires on them just as it deserves to.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

And that’s not the only thing he said at that rally. He made a series of extremely racist jokes (here’s an article from Rolling Stone with full info) and has had a track record of making jokes of that nature even before the Trump rally.

Roasts are crap anyway, but add a sprinkle of bigotry and you have a potential PR disaster on their hands, televised or not. It’s an extremely scummy booking and I hope this backfires on them just as it deserves to.

This thing not being recorded for TV means it will probably go under the radar. Even if what is said is as bad as you could imagine.

WWE and UFC under Endeavour being all in on Trump's new America is so fucking depressing. Working with these right wing white comedians who all seemingly have a podcast where they moan about how you can't make racist jokes anymore whilst still constantly making racist jokes and getting Netflix deals is appalling.

Triple H being in charge doesn't exactly dismiss any worries about things either.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob
  • Paid Members
Posted
3 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

This thing not being recorded for TV means it will probably go under the radar. Even if what is said is as bad as you could imagine.

TV means much less in the era of social media. If someone records it with their phone, or if reports of the show highlight some extremely controversial material it’ll still blow up - much as Hulk Hogan’s racist jokes about Kamala Harris did(and many other moments in his life) despite not being broadcast on TV.

Posted

Whether you think saying racist jokes equates to being racist or doing a cancelled style of comedy means you are right wing it’s important to note one thing about Tony Hinchcliffe and that is that he’s not very funny. He does well with the roast style of comedy because he’s a pretty decent roast comedian but that’s like saying someone is a pretty decent backyard wrestler. 

I don’t think most of these comedians being labelled as right wing are actually particularly right wing in a political sense but there’s definitely been a load leaning in to it out of self preservation. It’s easier to hide behind “Oh you can’t say that” instead of writing actual funny material. Look at the king of them, Rogan. He’s a fucking spaced out hippie who thinks he’s sticking it to the man by hosting corrupt billionaires and still defends Alex Jones ffs. 
 

Alls this to say is that nothing Tony Hinchcliffe will say at a fucking carny wrestling show will be more controversial than anything he’s said during the biggest roast on Netflix or in front of the world at the Trump rally. Nor will it be funny. As a straight white man I probably won’t be offended but I’m not in a position to tell anyone else if they should be offended either. Not that I’ll see more than a few YouTube shorts of it.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Tony Hinchcliffe is the cunt who does impressions of people with cerebral palsy in his stand-up special so I hope he carks it on stage.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...