Childhood Misconceptions

gmoney

3 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

As a kid I genuinely thought in the song "All Around The World" by Lisa Stansfield that the baby she'd been unable to find was her missing child. Similarly I thought the singer of Ace Of Base was referencing a particularly broody lady on "All That She Wants".

Same. I do remember being laughed at, probably age 6, by my grandparents because I asked what it was like when life was black and white. Turns out Pleasantville wasn't a documentary.

I had a sibling explain all that she wants. I was about 6 or 7, kind of feel he should have just left it.

My 5 year old thinks Heaven is a place on Earth is a religious song. I haven't corrected him, I just let him enjoy it.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

I took a while to master the concept of age and the passing of time. My mum's friend asked me who was older out of myself and my friend Craig, and I said "Well, Craig used to be but I think I am now."

It took me ages in the first couple of years in school to get my head around Jesus being born at Christmas and killed at Easter without being able to grasp the concept of aging and there being a multi year gap between the stories. Like children didn't become adults.

There must be two different jesus's, one a baby born at Christmas and another who is an adult who happens to have the same name killed at Easter but they wouldn't have it.

Edited by Tommy!

52 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Great. Now I'm on a train sitting thinking about digging up Captain Tom to see if he's got a number. This place does bad things.

It was a spiritual number, lads. It just phases into the next one on your birthday.

Arrested Development Gob Bluth GIF

This has been a hilarious read. The weirdest thing still though is using a SMA tin for nails, @gmoney! It's clearly for loose change. 

I'm sure we all had childhood misconceptions about movie magic, but the first one that jumped out at me was I thought Stars In Their Eyes didn't have a cut when the person went into those big smoky doors, they re-opened immediately and they were whoever they were impersonating. 

I genuinely thought as soon as the door closed, about a hundred pairs of hands on all sides just immediately gave them the makeover like a fucking Looney Tune bit and that it was all done in two seconds flat. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

This has been a hilarious read. The weirdest thing still though is using a SMA tin for nails, @gmoney! It's clearly for loose change.

Nothing should surprise us after his egg box fiasco.

• Paid Members

I'm absolutely not alone in this one as I've heard others who also grew up in the West of Scotland say the same, but, when I was a kid, we'd have a school carol service every Christmas time and I always mistook "Away In A Manger" for a "A Wean In  A Manger". It made - and still does - perfect sense to me so I didn't discover I'd got the wrong end of the stick until many years later.