IANdrewDiceClay presents “Typhoon vs Fandango” and other Dream matches

air_raid

• Paid Members

With that sort of edgy joke people often mistakenly believe the issue is them making the joke too close to the event. I don’t think that’s quite right. Humour is obviously subjective so this purely my own take, but here it is:

I personally believe it is possible to make a good joke about any subject. I genuinely believe it can be done for any topic. However, the more emotive/horrifying the subject, the better the joke has to be to get past people’s natural aversion to joking about it. If you can’t get past that aversion then you’ll just annoy or offend instead of amusing. 

Edgy jokes made during/shortly after the thing being in the news cycle tend to be of the lowest quality because it often takes time and a bit of reflection to come up with a good zinger about a thorny subject. Not always, but usually. 

So often I find it’s not that it’s too soon to make a joke about it, but rather too soon to have come up with a good  joke. So you get jokes like that one, where someone is just sort of referencing or naming key words from the horrible thing whilst winking and elbowing you in the ribs. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

Too soon for Stephanie Mcmahon vs Janelle Grant?

I doubt it's been too soon for you!

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Johnny Saint v Bryan Danielson 

I don't want to keep doing this, but CHIKARA also kind of did this at a 2009 King of Trios;

Masters Of 1000 Holds (Mike Quackenbush, Johnny Saint & Skayde) vs. Team Uppercut (Bryan Danielson, Claudio Castagnoli & Dave Taylor).

Before Bobby Eaton passed away, I really wanted someone to book a three way tag match between the Original Midnight Express, the Midnight Express, and the New Midnight Express.

17 minutes ago, JLM said:

With that sort of edgy joke people often mistakenly believe the issue is them making the joke too close to the event. I don’t think that’s quite right. Humour is obviously subjective so this purely my own take, but here it is:

I personally believe it is possible to make a good joke about any subject. I genuinely believe it can be done for any topic. However, the more emotive/horrifying the subject, the better the joke has to be to get past people’s natural aversion to joking about it. If you can’t get past that aversion then you’ll just annoy or offend instead of amusing. 

Edgy jokes made during/shortly after the thing being in the news cycle tend to be of the lowest quality because it often takes time and a bit of reflection to come up with a good zinger about a thorny subject. Not always, but usually. 

So often I find it’s not that it’s too soon to make a joke about it, but rather too soon to have come up with a good  joke. So you get jokes like that one, where someone is just sort of referencing or naming key words from the horrible thing whilst winking and elbowing you in the ribs. 

"Ladies and gents, welcome to deconstructing comedy with JLM"

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't want to keep doing this, but CHIKARA also kind of did this at a 2009 King of Trios;

Masters Of 1000 Holds (Mike Quackenbush, Johnny Saint & Skayde) vs. Team Uppercut (Bryan Danielson, Claudio Castagnoli & Dave Taylor).

When I saw the match listed my brain immediately went "that's happened"... then I remembered it didn't, it was planned for the cancelled Pro Wrestling Octane shows, for which I had tickets and I long lamented as "they would have been the best shows EVER!!11"

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

"Ladies and gents, welcome to deconstructing comedy with JLM"

I’m a Stewart Lee fan, what can I say. 

A more serious one 

Bret Hart V Kurt Angle 

Would still love to see footage of the kurt angle v Owen Hart match if anyone knows if any video exists I've only found that one image of the match to date.

I’d pay ludicrous amounts of money if I had it) to see Cody Rhodes win the WWE title at Wrestlemania, then immediately drop the belt in what - at face value - appears to be a a throwaway first defence against Dominik Mysterio on Raw the day following. I’d love to see Dom win a world title one day, and I’m all for something shocking like this.

Sticking with the Dominik Mysterio theme, I’d be well up for seeing him wrestle Jeff Jarrett. No idea why, there’s just something surreal about the idea of them standing in the same ring together.

Same goes for Jeff Jarrett vs Logan Paul.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, air_raid said:

Not “in their primes” but TODAY and regardless of who they’re contracted too. As long as they can still walk, book it, even if it’s going to be shite.

You tried 😅 

Lot of dead bodies being dug up for these sick dream matches.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

That's where the idea for the match came from. I think with Saint's style that he can probably still go a bit. 

LOD vs Nasty Boys. 

No DQ. No count out. 

I was SO disappointed by their match at sunmerslam 1991 at madison square garden.

I felt short changed and looking back it just didn’t click  

As a kid I rented the video, got a big bag of Revels and settled in for what I hoped would be THE greatest match ever. Two monster teams. Belts on the line. The shoulder pads. The music. The double team moves. Everything. 

I was hoping they knock seven shades of shit out of each other but it was just meh!!

35 minutes ago, Thefatduck said:

LOD vs Nasty Boys. 

No DQ. No count out. 

I was SO disappointed by their match at sunmerslam 1991 at madison square garden.

I felt short changed and looking back it just didn’t click  

As a kid I rented the video, got a big bag of Revels and settled in for what I hoped would be THE greatest match ever. Two monster teams. Belts on the line. The shoulder pads. The music. The double team moves. Everything. 

I was hoping they knock seven shades of shit out of each other but it was just meh!!

Had the match been in WCW they probably would have. WWF didn't really do street street fights at that point. Im sure I remember the Nasty Boys having a brutal match with Cactus Jack and Sullivan in WCW.

I want Booker T Vs Shorty G, giant letter on a pole match, take it off and use it as a weapon. 

I also want to see meat madness done properly as a massive meaty/fat guy battle royal - giant sized ring about 30 ft wide with whatever big buggers they can find who are still alive and active(ish) eg: Paul Wight, Rikishi, Akebono, Great Khali, Giant Silva, Meng, Omos, Mark Henry, Big Bill, a selection box of chunky Samoans, then add in some jacked/big muscle guys  like Cage, Hobbs, Breakker, Lesnar, Big E etc etc and have them slap each other about for 10 minutes.

now that gives me an idea for a tournament for the AEW "Little n large" Championship - teams of one superheavyweight and one lightweight compete for the latest one of Tony's trinkets. 

I'll add another one. I want to see Trench wrestle. I don't care who he faces, I just want to know what he's capable of in ring, and what Tony Khan was signing up to when he allowed him to make his debut as part of Swerve's short-lived stable of lackeys who looked like they subscribe to questionable belief systems.

The fact he was released without even making an appearance on a web show is probably telling, but I still want to see for myself what the heck this guy is all about.