Mick Foley's Last (Death)Match

Back in the day (early 2000s) when I was doing shows, I thought I was a "hardcore" guy (read wanker) thumbtacks not a problem, the worst was getting hit with a steel chair.

On one occasion I thankfully got my hand up to protect myself (I know what a pussy) glad I did, I couldn't feel my hand for a few days afterwards. 

In much the same way that police recruits are tased or pepper sprayed as part of their training, Wrestling fans of a certain type should be made to take a solid chair shot to the head. There are far too many that think it's akin to being hit with an ASDA Essentials baking tray, and I'm not sure they fully appreciate what they're seeing sometimes. 

Or wrestlers could stop hitting each other in the head with chairs altogether. It is already rare enough on TV these days, thankfully. Wrestlers doing it on the indies or small part-time shows are utter idiots for still agreeing to do so.

Agreed. There's always going to be some risk, but there are easy ways to reduce it and this is an obvious one. Whilst they're unwise for agreeing to it, you have to also ask questions of whoever's putting this kind of expectation on them or allowing it to happen. 

I do shudder at some of the harm I've likely seen done over the decades when this was less of a consideration.