Vince McMahon may actually be done this time [Trigger warning: Sexual Assault]

JNLister

• Paid Members

Just looks like bants so far. Because Meltzer has reported he legally could, all the usual dogshit Twitter accounts have leapt all over it polling “Do you think he will” and “Would you watch.” Appallingly, we may just live in a world where shitting on a woman’s head, passing her round your mates from the office and attempting to book her rape by a Beast Incarnate are not repugnant enough things to be so publicly accused of as to dissuade pro wrestlers from associating their name with yours for the sake of a cheque. Worse still, there seem to be plenty of people saying they’d watch, despite not being bound to any new creation by the kind of Stockholm Syndrome that kept many of us keeping up with WWE when (a) Vince had final say and (b) it was total shite.

But if I’m wrong, then come 2025 look forward to all your favourite booking tropes coming back! We beat the babyface in their hometown, abandon long term plans at the key moment for being “too obvious,” and prepare the next big thing by beating him over and over again! 

• Paid Members

Given what we know about his insecurities about only ever being successful in wrestling and no other business, I'd fucking love it if he started up another promotion and it bombed, leaving the vile old cunt completely pruned. Especially if it lost him a ton of cash. (Not that any of this will happen, of course.)

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I'd fucking love it if he started up another promotion and it bombed, leaving the vile old cunt completely pruned. 

I'd love it even more if he just signed up a load of fitness influencers, thinking that all they need to provide is the physique, and he'll use his genius to turn them into another Hogan and Warrior.

And instead we get the worst wrestling promotion ever, with a bunch of "megastars" that can't handle even a light wrestling schedule, and every rejected Attitude era idea getting blasted all over it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, simonworden said:

Am I right in thinking if he sells all his shares he closes the door on being able to come back unless the company has a real change of heart and let's him in?

Being a public limited company, all “change of heart” needs to mean is enough shareholders sell enough shares to him for profit.

If the court case is settled in some way I wouldn't be shocked to see him attempt something - even if it was something that predominantly targeted non-US markets; or relied on an alt-right streaming platform. Heck, perhaps it's the kind of thing Elon Musk would host on Twitter much as he does Tucker Carlson. It's obviously a different kettle of fish; but given their crossover political views; it's not outside of the realms of possibility that it ends up being presented as some sort of 'deep state conspiracy'; and enough people buy into that to allow something viable to exist. I wish it felt more ludicrous to type those words than it actually is. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If the court case is settled in some way I wouldn't be shocked to see him attempt something - even if it was something that predominantly targeted non-US markets; or relied on an alt-right streaming platform. Heck, perhaps it's the kind of thing Elon Musk would host on Twitter much as he does Tucker Carlson. It's obviously a different kettle of fish; but given their crossover political views; it's not outside of the realms of possibility that it ends up being presented as some sort of 'deep state conspiracy'; and enough people buy into that to allow something viable to exist. I wish it felt more ludicrous to type those words than it actually is. 

Sure sounds like another of those threads I avoid until they start announcing matches.

14 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Sure sounds like another of those threads I avoid until they start announcing matches.

It's definitely grim to consider, but I think the wider discussion kind of illustrates that depressing - for want of a better word - acceptance that the consequences for rich, powerful men in cases like this are often minimal. We have a man running for the US presidency who has been ruled to be a rapist; having someone who historically has not shown any desire to retire quietly seems relatively low stakes in comparison. I'd love to see McMahon face the consequences of his actions; but I feel pretty resigned to that not happening. 

• Paid Members
Just now, RedRooster said:

discussion 

I’m just happy we’re calling it that. “Discourse” needs to fuck off.

Surely there’s an army of lawyers waiting to see what he settles at with this current case before they take up the rest of Vince’s natural life trying to get equal settlements on behalf of the other victims. You’d hope that nobody will touch him as long as this surrounds him and I don’t imagine there’ll be a lack of victims coming forward for the foreseeable especially when they see that whatever Vince had threatened them with to keep quiet is no longer an issue. 

If Vince set up a new promotion, I don’t think there would be many wrestlers turning down working for it if the money was right. It’s wrestling after all. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If Vince set up a new promotion, I don’t think there would be many wrestlers turning down working for it if the money was right. It’s wrestling after all. 

I don't doubt that. But I'd be willing to bet that what he had before that made WWE the brand it is today is long gone, and that at best he's been coasting on the success, knowing there'll always be an audience regardless of how bad or mediocre it gets, and at worst he may have actually been obstructing the company from doing even better with his bizarre ways. It'll be interesting to know if that's the case (I'll be relying on you guys to let me know), because it will mean that any promotion he starts up will most likely end up not doing very well - he'll probably try and do something like try to go via the Rock n' Wrestling strategy, and go into partnership with VH-1, having his wrestlers work with Limp Bizkit and Bloc Party or something.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, TheBurningRed said:

Don’t lump them in with Vince and Limp Bizkit. 

I wouldn't, but he might