Vince McMahon may actually be done this time [Trigger warning: Sexual Assault]

JNLister

I hate to be so cynical, but unless Netflix insists on it, I’m not convinced that this will oust McMahon. This isn’t a criminal case, and the rich and powerful have learned that it’s possible to simply ride these things out. It really depends on how much it snowballs, if it does in the first place. After the initial thud these things land with, the news cycle generally moves on, to the benefit of those embroiled in the scandal. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, garynysmon said:

This will have to make it to the mainstream media to have any traction at all. The 'wrestling media' has proved itself to be woefully lacking in tacking any such issues.

Completely agreed on the wrestling media, but worth remembering that this (and the previous allegations) have come from the Wall Street Journal, so very much legitimate mainstream media doing their due diligence, and the uselessness of wrestling media doesn't really come into it.

What seems likely is that the previous story focused as much as possible on the financial wrongdoing, rather than the sexual assault, trafficking and other depravity - whether that was because lawyers felt it would be easier to nail him on financial issues that were easier to prove, or because the company conspired to put that at the forefront to try and hide the worst excesses of all this, I don't know. 

Certainly some questions to be asked about the timing of some events in the last two years, not least of all a recent high profile executive departure.

The little victory lap of trotting Vince out on TV for a retirement tour, the Pat McAfee podcast, and the Wrestlemania match, is all going to retroactively look even worse the longer this goes on.

1 minute ago, RedRooster said:

I hate to be so cynical, but unless Netflix insists on it, I’m not convinced that this will oust McMahon. This isn’t a criminal case, and the rich and powerful have learned that it’s possible to simply ride these things out. It really depends on how much it snowballs, if it does in the first place. After the initial thud these things land with, the news cycle generally moves on, to the benefit of those embroiled in the scandal. 

It's well placed cynicism but Khan, Steph and Paul all wanted him out before right? Then he practically crowbarred his way back in and Steph left. 

He's PR poison, and only held on for so long by virtue of WWE being a sort of hermit state in the entertainment world that shareholders were constantly told only he could really understand and run. 

All he is now is some deranged fuckhead sucking up all them good shares. He can barely string a text together, let alone contribute a solid idea. 

5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

PR nightmare surely if there was collusion between WWE corporate staff to keep it under wraps ?

• Paid Members

That's brutal. I can't find other words. I do wonder what would happen if it transpired that the UFC/WWE Superstar in question was Brock Lesnar, as is being speculated. It does seem that Endeavoure/TKO may be trying to just clear the skeletons out of the closet ahead of the Netflix deal starting.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Browser Brady said:

PR nightmare surely if there was collusion between WWE corporate staff to keep it under wraps ?

No one’s hands are clean in this though. Even if the company gives VKM the Chris Benoit treatment going forward, you can’t separate WWE and Vince Jr, the two are just so intrinsically linked.

He is one of the main reasons the company went down the cutthroat route in the early 80s and ended up in such a dominant position. A dominance that remains so great, solidly so, in the wrestling/entertainment sphere that the company is now able to coast along from year to year, delivering varying levels of quality, but consistently holding a licence to print money in terms of TV rights and other income streams.

They will try to throw the VKM grenade into a room and contain the problem but surely they can’t claim not to have been subject to 40 years of contamination? 

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

They will try to throw the VKM grenade into a room and contain the problem but surely they can’t claim not to have been subject to 40 years of contamination? 

They will deal with it the way all corporations deal with stories of abuse - let a few key individuals fall on their sword, then wash their hands of it, leaving any questions of complicity and of institionalised abuse unanswered.

They already got rid of Laurianitis, and keep trying to cut Vince off. This one should actually do it, then a couple more execs will be cut loose and they'll move on. It's not a wrestling story, it's a Corporate America story.

2 hours ago, mim731 said:

100%, conpletely, absolutely unrelated to any recent posts, but worth remembering this is a public forum and easily searchable on the Internet, as such probably best to avoid anything libellous. 

As some Blackpool FC fans talking about Karl Oyston on a message board once found out.

• Paid Members

That is grim as fuck.

The thing is, as mentioned, this isn't just wrestling, it's corporate America. I can guarantee it's happening in a ridiculous amount of huge companies throughout the country with 1000's of disgusting men getting away completely Scot free with just doing what they want and not giving a shit about other people.

Fuck, it wasn't long ago that the fucking PRESIDENT was one of those men. I'm surprised McMahons name isn't on Epstein's list (that we know of).

11 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The thing is, as mentioned, this isn't just wrestling, it's corporate America. I can guarantee it's happening in a ridiculous amount of huge companies throughout the country with 1000's of disgusting men getting away completely Scot free with just doing what they want and not giving a shit about other people.

I sort of get this instinct, but I think it let's Vince off the hook a little bit by implying power or money corrupts to this degree.

These claims, those messages, are far, far more extreme than pretty much anything I've seen come to light in other cases. And, to Ian's point, this seems to have happened when Vince was on the downswing of his life.

Based on the allegations, there seems to be a quite unique level of misogyny, violence and sexual perversion. 

I don't think that's happening in the thousands, and it does seem that McMahon is allegedly a uniquely cruel bastard. 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I sort of get this instinct, but I think it let's Vince off the hook a little bit by implying power or money corrupts to this degree. 

Not in any way shape or form defending or 'letting Vince off the hook' at all. Completely different point I am making.

I am saying the problem is that there are a lot and I mean A LOT of men the exact same as Vince. It's a problem, women will never be equal or indeed safe while ever these men are still around.

Look at how celebrated the film 'Wolf of Wall Street' was and the behaviour in that film was the exact type of shit that goes on in most corporate board rooms in America. 

Vince deserves more than he will get, as we all know, he won't get much at all. He may get canned by TKO, but he's a billionaire who will just continue on doing whatever he wants. 

Edited by Nick James

9 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I am saying the problem is that there are a lot and I mean A LOT of men the exact same as Vince. 

That's the thing, I just don't know how true this is. 

I hope I'm right. It'd be tragic if there was thousands of men shitting on women, trafficking them, and fantasising about their abuse.

I just presumed the rich and powerful were regular wrong-uns, not monsters.

• Paid Members

At this point it feels like this is a hypothetical arguement for arguements sake. Never once have I played down what Vince has done, which seems like you are implying. 

What I am saying, to be clear here, is that this should be the trigger point for a wider discussion about how Corporate America (probably not just in America) treats women. These old fucks in positions of power, need holding to account, but they never are. They payout a few million then go about their day.