WWE to Netflix, Network presumably doomed

Infinity Land

• Paid Members

If they left Chris Benoit in their archives then they're not going to start erasing Vince McMahon, no matter how much or little he features. Not just because of the almost complete impracticality of it.

32 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

focus on the positive! 

It's a very nice watch to be fair, I think it's a Cartier?

13 hours ago, air_raid said:

I think we might be including flashback commentary/voiceovers. Everywhere there's a build up video featuring something that happened on Superstars, every open where he growls with excitement about "The Ultimate Challenge" on VI, "It's a DOUBLE main event! It's WRESTLEMANIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" on VIII etc. He's present in some form on all the broadcasts even if you don't see his face.

Good point, hadn’t thought about that.

• 7 months later...
47 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

So basically the only things I watch, i.e Tuesday Night Titans, 1992 episodes of Raw and 1997 Raw’s are going up the swanny aren’t they?

If it works out the other way in that somebody simply flicks a switch and all the data moves from one service to another, it'll be brilliant for me. 

The Network's been too buggy and underwhelming with new content for me to be able to justify paying for it for about two years now, and I'm just not into TV enough to be arsed having Netflix. Both of them rolled into one, though? Don't think I'd ever end that sub. 

I subscribed to the Network in the early days, and found the live stream so bad I ended up pirating the show just to be able to watch it. The pirated stream was so easy to find and use that I just got rid of my Network subscription. Later on, a friend shared his login but when he moved away and with the latest updates, he cancelled it.

I wonder if the classic content will move over in one go, or be a gradual process like I think it was on Peacock in the US.

It might have been discussed earlier in this thread, but I can't think of any precedent for a content move of this scale happening. On top of that, there's considerations for wrestling content that you don't get for other shows - ideally the classic content should include match listings and the option to skip to a specific match.

• Members

The Network is absolutely shit to use, so that's a good move.

I'd assume that it'll have its own section, like Prime* with their subs.

Interestingly Netflix this year also has the Christmas Day NFL games so they're definitely heading more into the "live" arena, and can hopefully handle that well.

*Another shit platform.

• Paid Members

I am expecting a 2 tier subscription system for Netflix (which in reality is more like 4) where you sub for WWE as an additional pay wall on the Netflix main site. 

At least then theres more chance of classic Network material showing up if they can get value from it. Without that we're probbaly just getting current shows, documentaries and PLE's. 

It will be interesting to see how the UI looks though. They need a way should that content be uploaded of making it accessible to search for certain items as theres a lot of 90s WCW insanity I'd rather not have to attempt to scroll past to get to something a little more refined. 

1 hour ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

I am expecting a 2 tier subscription system for Netflix (which in reality is more like 4) where you sub for WWE as an additional pay wall on the Netflix main site. 

At least then theres more chance of classic Network material showing up if they can get value from it. Without that we're probbaly just getting current shows, documentaries and PLE's. 

It will be interesting to see how the UI looks though. They need a way should that content be uploaded of making it accessible to search for certain items as theres a lot of 90s WCW insanity I'd rather not have to attempt to scroll past to get to something a little more refined. 

I hope not if it's not rolled out worldwide immediately. I was planning on using a VPN to access it but I'd have to pay another countries price. I pay about £3 at the moment. 

There's a ton of crap on Netflix that no one ever watches. I sorted to see what the oldest movies were once. They had a bunch of Swedish films from the 1920s.

The archive content isn't much of an issue. They'll be looking to make a return on ads during the live shows. Have them integrated so they're even there on a rewatch. 

10 hours ago, garynysmon said:

You just know they’re going to prioritise modern day stuff over old shite that only sad acts like me will watch though.

If it all carries over it would be a blinding result in terms of value though.

Peacock in the USA has pretty much the entire WWE Network content. It’s only 80 dollars per year with ads and 140 dollars per year with no ads.  Plus Peacock has a lot of other content including films, TV series and sport (including live Premier League football).

I'm wondering what's going to happen with PLEs, like has been pointed out I'm fully expecting extra tiers to Netflix. If it's a case of getting Netflix and WWE at a similar rate to what I was paying for the network alone, I'd be happy with that but if it's extra for extra content on top of more and more cost for extra tiers of content, I appreciate that it's understandable but I think it might out price my fandom to an extent.