Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Saxophonist David Sanborn has died. I remember finding an album of his when going through my dad's CDs when I started to get into jazz via the gateway of hip hop. I know that 70s and 80s sax sound is a bit cheesy to some but I love that sleazy groove. Voyeur is a particular favourite album of his for me. Marcus Miller and he made a hell of a team.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

26 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Saxophonist David Sanborn has died. I remember finding an album of his when going through my dad's CDs when I started to get into jazz via the gateway of hip hop. I know that 70s and 80s sax sound is a bit cheesy to some but I love that sleazy groove. Voyeur is a particular favourite album of his for me. Marcus Miller and he made a hell of a team.

Ah that’s proper shit. Without him, this wouldn’t be even half the song it is. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Donald J Trump said:

Supergran actress Gudrun Ure aged 98. She had a good run. 

spacer.png

The theme was a cracker, and not just because they managed to namecheck BA Baracus in it. I do remember watching it as a kid, but I bet it's aged horribly. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

The theme was a cracker, and not just because they managed to namecheck BA Baracus in it. I do remember watching it as a kid, but I bet it's aged horribly. 

I feel somewhat responsible 

On 5/8/2024 at 4:30 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

If Drew doesn't come in on this, what's the point?

Green Ginger - ***𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐘 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐄𝐑 ...

• Paid Members

Wow, Mandela Effect in full force for me there. I watched Super Gran as a kid as well. That theme tune was boss - not just for the lyrics and the fact that it was Billy Connolly, but also just the sheer sound of it: it's not a heroic-sounding theme, it's got that pub music/comic British sound, like something out of the Beano or Dandy. More superhero series should have them.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Sanborn hosted Night Music, a great show that didn't last too long.

Night Music is amazing; there's a ton of it on YouTube. Some of the craziest line-ups to ever grace a TV live music show; one episode in series two has Debbie Harry, Pere Ubu, Phillip Glass and Loudon Wainwright III, one has The Pixies and Sun Ra, and one has Conway Twitty performing next to The Residents. It's incredible. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Statto said:

It's a bloody brilliant theme. I posted this a few months ago in the Song of the Day thread, but here it is again:

It certainly was a great theme. I loved this in the wiki entry, just to make sure no one was confused image.thumb.png.336f2b8125a0b316d9181c033d1528c8.png

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Night Music is amazing; there's a ton of it on YouTube. Some of the craziest line-ups to ever grace a TV live music show; one episode in series two has Debbie Harry, Pere Ubu, Phillip Glass and Loudon Wainwright III, one has The Pixies and Sun Ra, and one has Conway Twitty performing next to The Residents. It's incredible. 

Can't imagine how many times I've watched this.

• Paid Members

Dabney Coleman has passed at 92.  In loads of films and TV shows, one of those actors who has been in everything and worked with everyone.