• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

AEW just trying to suck up some clout from WWE's biggest weekend ever. 

There was a hell of a lot of AEW discourse from WWE talent during WrestleMania week. It does make me wonder if (Nick) Khan is trying to do something with (Tony) Khan about this open relationship. It’s clear there is talent who are in AEW now who, now Vince is gone, want to go back, maybe some talent exchanges wouldn’t go a miss*. I mean I don’t think that was what Nick was referencing exactly but wrestling is a funny place at the moment.

*not CM Punk though.

42 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Yup. It's hilarious when people seem to forget Vince fucking loved taking shots at WCW. Hell even when he was kicking the shit out of them he sent Big Show out dressed as Hogan to mock him. They only stopped mentioning competition when there wasn't any.

Even that didn't stop them warring against WCW, decades later and they shove that stuff into the Sting angle.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Behave, their small dick energy was all over when they had actual competition.

I think I acknowledged that…?

55 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Yup. It's hilarious when people seem to forget Vince fucking loved taking shots at WCW. 

Who forgot…..?

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Before Billionaire Ted's Rasslin War Room obviously, which exposed them as just as packing pine needles as anyone.

• Paid Members

Fuck the All In footage, just give 2 hours of Eddie and Mark drinking beer together and talking shit and it'll be the highest rated wrestling show ever. This 50 seconds is better than Cody's title win.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

The closer it comes to this airing, the worse it seems.

WWE are coming off a hugely successful event, featuring many of the things that used to set AEW apart as a revolutionary brand. Back to basics pro-wrestling. Big, hot angles. Huge, cathartic moments. Smart, intertwined story beats.

To climb back in the mud and start throwing shit is so tragic and lame. Like when your ex has moved on and is in a new happy, healthy relationship and you’re still slagging them off on Facebook. Did John Cena teach us nothing, Tony? Rise above hate!

To be frank I think Tony Khan clearly demonstrates some of the traits you'd expect the son of a billionaire to have and is a total berk. I don't find him endearing at all and would, on a personal level, rather not support his endeavours.

But he is only human. You can see how, from TK's point of view, it must be frustrating (whether you feel its valid or not) to invest so heavily yet shows like Wrestlemania are just a reminder that WWE is in a different stratosphere.

With a massive cash injection thanks to his family, TK managed to quickly set up a federation snapping up the best free agents on the market and signing others from established promotions unable to compete on a financial front.

The WWE was at a pretty low ebb at the time and things couldn't have gone better early doors. Enough name talent and his family's clout secured a TV deal no non-WWE promotion had secured in 20 years.

It even felt there was a short window where AEW could even catch up, but that horse has long bolted. (In hindsight it probably wasn't there but it did feel achievable)

But it's all plateaued hasn't it? You can argue that Chris Jericho and Edge are the closest to a household name any non-WWE company could ever hope to sign, but the growth has seemingly stopped. The big name talent they've signed this year would excite their existing fanbase but haven't made a dent otherwise. 

I have no idea if AEW are happy or not with how things are going. On some metrics they're clearly doing well, but are probably falling short on others.

But where does TK go from here? Has AEW hit its natural glass celing?

There has to be a point where you think "Fuck it, its worth a go".

Edited by garynysmon

I think airing the footage unless it's something absolutely extraordinary (given we know most of the thing it won't be) is a waste of time you could use for a promo, or a new talent. It's actually very petty WWE of them and WWE are looking rather well from a PR, live events and event perspective at the moment (very perspective given how dodge the their big dogs are).

Nothing wrong with little potshots, but actively using time on TV to address it. It's probably ranks high as potentially some of the worst bit of time wasting/emergency PR. Up there with Billionaire Ted, Eric Bischoff beating Vince McMahon via count out at Slamboree but probably not interviewing Melanie Pillman bad. Absolutely bloody stupid and the only way they'd look good here is if Cody didn't win on Sunday so everyone is in a great mood regardless, or something absolutely hilarious happens in the footage, someone's cock falls out or Tony Khan gets carried away crying like when that security guard hoofed Low-Ki that time in CZW.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chili said:

I think airing the footage unless it's something absolutely extraordinary (given we know most of the thing it won't be) is a waste of time you could use for a promo, or a new talent.

It’s a fan theory, but think it makes a lot of sense

IMG_3159.png

14 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I wouldn’t take Cultaholic too seriously. Whilst the dirt sheets are saying it’s definitely the Punk footage AEW haven’t said it once.

This was after you posted this (so you wouldn’t have been aware), but Khan has explicitly said that it is (link to Sports Illustrated).

16 hours ago, Nick James said:

Still think they should actually do a bait and switch and have Wee M Punk getting battered by the Bucks in a GTV style grainy CCTV footage.

While I think it’s face-palmingly petty to air the footage, I think, at given that they’ve advertised it, they can’t pull a bait and switch without damaging their ability to promote; in the sense that it would add a layer of uncertainty as to how genuine future announcements are. If they were going to air a parody, I think they’d have to do it unannounced.

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s a fan theory, but think it makes a lot of sense

I think that’s reading into something that isn’t there at an extreme level, I’m afraid. In reference to the tweet, the only ‘layer’ that exists is a thin layer of skin that has caused Tony Khan to do this. I know you like Khan, so view him differently than I do - but if you’re trying to rationalise why he might do this and don’t want to put it down to being petty; maybe view it as nothing more than a misstep. One, due to advertising, he now has no choice but to make.

I'm not sure

"AEW has a great track record on delivering what we advertise, and it is real footage,” said Khan, who remained guarded over the specific content that will air from All In. “The Young Bucks will show backstage footage from All In, the most important event in AEW history"

is explicit?

I still think the wording they're using is all leading to this being a sweve. Although really don't see either outcome being a positive for AEW. Its either petty bullshit of the highest order or a combination of carny bullshit and the smug bte humour that doesn't play on TV

All Khan said was that it's definitely backstage footage. The graphic doesn't mention Punk, a brawl or an altercation of any kind either. I think the most likely scenario is that they do one of those "No lies were told" bait-and-switches where footage from around the brawl - but never explicitly showing it or Punk - are shown and it's used as a prop/lead in to a worked angle. 

• Paid Members

If they are planning to build to Edge & Christian vs Young Bucks I can definitely see how you could spring an angle off of this. Last week you had Copeland doing his "rah rah" speech then the following week the Bucks do this petty negative shit and Copeland calls them out on it for being exactly that and not what he joined AEW for. Then slowly build things from there. 

It's basically the only positive spin I can think of in doing this.