What's the funniest film ever made?

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

This always gets a lot of love with people but encapsulates almost everything I can't stand about Will Ferrell. He's less funny than Adam Sandler and that's saying something. 

Yeah, can't stand Anchorman or Will Ferrell. I often wonder how good Step Brothers would be if he wasn't in it, it's already still very funny but almost entirely because of John C. Reilly.

• Paid Members

Yeah Will Ferrell is shit. He's so desperately and obviously trying to be funny that he's not remotely funny at all. His recent role in Barbie was the worst thing in the film and encapsulated how shit his "LOOK HOW FUNNY, WACKY AND WEIRD IM BEING" act really is.

• Paid Members

40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad and Dumb and Dumber are great shouts. 
Anchorman would have been a great shout when I was 15 but not so much now. I never bothered with the sequel but heard it was atrocious.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Will Ferrell. I often wonder how good Step Brothers would be if he wasn't in it, it's already still very funny but almost entirely because of John C. Reilly.

I don't mind Ferrell but the funniest bit doesn't have either of them in it 

❤ Adam Scott, Kathryn Hahn is great in this film too.

• Paid Members

For a recent one, Bottoms has given almost anything else I've watched this year a run for its money. Marshawn Lynch's turn as Mr. G is a performance that's going to stick in my head for ages.

But I'm going to throw The Birdcage into the ring. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane are absolutely fantastic in this, playing off each other really well.

Some real heart to it, but it's rammed full of memorable lines & moments. Could watch this every week for the rest of my life and still find it funny.

• Paid Members

Will Ferrell is fine in Anchorman, but it’s the supporting cast who get the best laughs, which is why all the Ron Burgundy stuff, as well as Anchorman 2 being shit because you want less Will not more. At least his production company gave us some decent content over the years including Succession.

Dodgeball is another I used to really find funny, but rewatching it again recently it felt very much an “of it’s time” thing.

Also, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and 40 Year Old Virgin. Both a smidge too long but funnier then a lot of films of the time.

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I love it. I don't think it would age badly as its never vicious or mean.

I know that's funny to say about a film that literally mocks a blind child (ffs I'm laughing just typing this...pretty biiiiiird) but there's nothing that makes you think "Tsk the 90s eh?" the way that say, Ace Ventura might.

I love it. My Dad loved it. My kids love it. Cracking. 

WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Yup, I really like Dumb and Dumber. 

jim carrey agree GIF

The Birdcage is a great shout.

It's 40 Year Old Virgin or Forgetting Sarah Marshall for me, despite that cunt being in it. The former is the most I've ever laughed in a cinema, the latter still cracks me up every time I see it which is the test of a good comedy for me. Plus- Dracula musical.

• Paid Members

Lots of classics mentioned here, Spinal Tap, Holy Grail, Blazing Saddles, these are all top drawer contenders in my mind. 

If we are talking modern output, the lack of love for Popstar: Never Stop Stopping saddens me. A film I had no idea about beforehand, but one that once I watched, I could not stop laughing at even on re-watching many times.

Obviously it also depends on your stance on Andy Samberg who I appreciate, like a Will Ferrell can be a tiny bit divisive at points. 

Not sure the trailer does it justice, and I wouldn't want to spoil it by posting anything else.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

There is only one correct stance on Andy Samberg. He's great.

I agree. If you haven't seen Tour De Pharmacy for example, which is a great film that you should see.  The casting on the film is ridiculous but whoever took the decision to cast Jeff Goldblum as the old version of Samberg's character Marty Hass and Dolph Lundgren as the old version of John Cena's Gustav Ditters deserves a medal. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, mim731 said:

If we are talking modern output, the lack of love for Popstar: Never Stop Stopping saddens me. A film I had no idea about beforehand, but one that once I watched, I could not stop laughing at even on re-watching many times.

Laughed my head off the other day. 16yo stomped into the kitchen and said "I've got the bloody Bin Laden song stuck in my head because I accidentally fell asleep with it on loop on my Spotify!"

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Love Popstar, pains me to say this as a weird al fan since childhood but I think a good 4 of the 10 funniest songs of all time are on that soundtack. Mona Lisa was my most listened to song of the year this year on Spotify. (Even got a video from them on it thanking me for the listens)

20240102_111632.thumb.jpg.fdebdf0bf4bc611d513efcddf4d73937.jpg

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle
Proof