Goodbye 2023

DavidB6937

3 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Happy New Year!

What’s does the 6937 stand for?

Ah man. It's literally the most boring story in the world so I apologise in advance.

My mate got the Internet before me but they let me have my own AOL username when I went round there. I tried DavidB but apparently some bastard had taken my totally original name choice before me. It randomly assigned 6936 at the end.

When my parents finally gave in to my constant nagging for AOL at home I had the brilliant idea of just increasing the number by one. Thus DavidB6937 was born. This was.. maybe 96/97? I've used it pretty much everywhere since.

And I'm glad I managed to save my most boring post of 2023 to the last minute. 

• Paid Members

Ahhh 2023. The year I stopped being a landlord, bought a new house, had an emotional breakdown, saw Pulp live in concert, went to a destination wedding I wasnt invited to, and had my first seaweed in a Chinese restaurant.

Only the first 2 things are related.

Genuinely looking forward to 2024.

Happy new year all

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

Positives - got asked to be godfather to my youngest niece, meaning I’m now godparent to both my sister’s girls

- the first half of my family holiday, making memories with all my nieces and nephews

- returning to work two weeks before Christmas after what happened below 

Negative - the latter half of the holiday and subsequent 4 months being laid up after snapping my patella tendon and part tearing my thigh in a complete freak accident

To Come in 2024

My youngest nephew gets christened in 2 weeks

Returning to going to conventions with FTLOW 4 in March and Liverpool Comic Con in May

Hitting 10 years in my retail job, the longest job I’ve held down, in June

Happy New Year to you all on the UKFF thanks for continuing to be a great online community to be apart of. It's great getting older with you all.

Some highlights for me 

Started with my first trip home in 3.5 years thanks to COVID.

Securing a full time position at my work with great benefits.

A wonderful holiday in Thailand with the family.

2 fun motorbike trips with friends, hadn't had a road buddy for a few years so this was awesome fun.

Keeping any excess weight off 

Presenting at my first conference

Buying an almost new motorbike

And seeing my son grow from a baby into a naughty little man.

Some lowlights

The exhaustion of having a very active 2 year old 

General problems for the future caused by the Tories

Suffering from chronic piles which needs surgery soon. 

But all in all a good year. 

The most challenging and roller-coaster year of my life. 

My marriage fell apart towards the end of 2022, so my 2023 consisted of (in no particular order):

- lived on my own for the first time in my life. No friends or family close by. Never felt so empty and alone. 

- sank into the worst depression I've experienced. Not going to lie, I was on the brink. 

- completed Tinder. 

- took a massive 'way out of my comfort zone' leap and started dance classes. Best decision I've made. 

- quit my job and I'm now in training to be a prison officer. 

- went on an absolutely amazing 10 day trip to New York with my son. 

- was front and centre of the Ice Cube and Cypress Hill gig. Also with my son. Epic doesn't even cover it! 

- met someone from a dating app, but despite it not working out, she is now one of my closest and best friends. 

- met an amazing lady at dance class and we're now living together. 

This probably sounds very odd, but I'm at this very bizarre point where I no longer feel depressed, but I'm not content, not exactly happy, I'm just sort of comfortable. I also have a very cavalier attitude with my life. I could live for another 20 years or I could die tomorrow. I honestly don't care which. Not sure what that means, but maybe the coming year will help me to figure it out. 

HNY etc. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, simonworden said:

It's great getting older with you all.

It might be the cheap, foul-tasting cider I’m drinking but this is such a lovely sentiment and I’ve never really thought of the forum like that before and it’s hit me in the loins. When you stop, think and put it into context in terms of one’s first time signing up, how the digital world and social media has evolved in that timespan, it really is quite remarkable that so many of us are still here posting. 

May we continue to grow old together in this sometimes maddening, but often wonderful place 🥃

EDIT - I signed up in 2004 so it’s been 20 years now. Madness.

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

It might be the cheap, foul-tasting cider I’m drinking but this is such a lovely sentiment and I’ve never really thought of the forum like that before and it’s hit me in the loins. When you stop, think and put it into context in terms of one’s first time signing up, how the digital world and social media has evolved in that timespan, it really is quite remarkable that so many of us are still here posting. 

May we continue to grow old together in this sometimes maddening, but often wonderful place 🥃

EDIT - I signed up in 2004 so it’s been 20 years now. Madness.

January 10th I’ll have been on here half of my life. Strange to think about.

• Paid Members

Its my birthday and for the first time in years a group of people sang happy birthday to me just after midnight and have arranged that we have drinks today technically so I'm not by myself.

Blessed by the best friends.

Hope you're all well.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Its my birthday and for the first time in years a group of people sang happy birthday to me just after midnight and have arranged that we have drinks today technically so I'm not by myself.

Blessed by the best friends.

Hope you're all well.

Happy New Year and happy birthday! 

• Paid Members

Happy birthday @Shy Dad

2023 has been a weird one. I've continued unmasking and healing. I've made some new neurodivergent friends, and I've picked up, or at least developed some existing skills, but I also had to deal with losing my ex and trying to figure out how I felt, and how I was "supposed to feel" if that makes any sense, plus finding out my mum's not well, and not knowing how long she has left. All I want right now is to be able to see in 2025 with her. 

The people here have been so good, and I appreciate you all for the laughs, messages of support and conversations about stuff. Here's to more of it this year. 

• Paid Members

Happy New Year, guys.

20 years for me on this forum in June, I think.

Anyway, I'll be glad to see the back of this era, let alone 2023, but let's take the wins where we find them, and hope for better.

I intend to learn from the mistakes I made the last few years and finally get myself a proper holiday at the right time, instead of allowing myself to burn out and limp across the finish line in December.

Want to gig more, write more, get myself into better shape, and hopefully attract a partner. Want to get my reading back to what it used to be, and I want to make a dent in my videogame backlog too. Also going to try to start my Zettelkasten finally - got notes, just need to properly transfer them.

Anyway, it's strange to think this den of wrong 'uns has been such a regular part of my life for so long, but I'm thankful it has. Here, tucked away in this aging, obsolete corner of the internet, I've met some truly wonderful people, both in person and online.

Happy New Year and Wassail, you reprobates.